Squad Challenge - Bomberman '93 (TurboGrafx-16 / Duo)

Justin

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Great score!  I'm going to try more later this week. 

Thank you! GOOD LUCK on your score @RickR I'd love to see you break the 100,000 point mark!

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Every time we have a TG-16 high-score contest, I find myself enjoying this console far more than I ever expected.  This game is so much fun.  I love the bright colors and fast gameplay. 

YESS!! I've felt that way about the TurboGrafx-16 and the TurboDuo from the very first time I played them. Sometimes it can feel a little anemic next to a Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo, but there are so many great games and it feels like an NES pumped up to the max! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the unappreciated world of TurboGrafx

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Played in a TurboGrafx-16 Squad Challenge!"

nosweargamer was awarded the badge 'Turbo Squad' and 10 points.

Justin is safe. Just scored 111,000

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

22 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Justin is safe. Just scored 111,000

I want you guys to beat my score! Nobody wants to pin the tail on their own donkey at their own birthday party. I hope you guys keep playing and leave my score in the dust. That was a great pop-up stream @nosweargamer, I've really enjoyed your livestream events lately and it's cool that you're covering our High Score Squad Challenges :nintendo_mario_1up:

:mac_bomb:

Now that everybody's had some time to play Bomberman '93 what are your thoughts on the game, and on the TurboGrafx-16 in general? How does Bomberman '93 compare to other games in the series? How does Bomberman '93 and the TurboGrafx-16 compare to the Nintendo Entertainment System?

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I've moved my setup!  I finally got the bonus room back after the last of my children moved out! 

Haha that's great! You'll have to give us updated pics soon 🙂

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I'll try to hit 20k next. 

Keep working on your strategy @RickR it's more puzzle than action. There's a lot of strategy with bomb placement, power-ups, etc.

One strategy I use that works for me but not for everybody:
I'm careful in the beginning to only detonate blocks that I need to move out of my way. I don't just blow everything up on the screen and let the little buggars run wild. My strategy has been to keep them trapped in their little spaces, and "snipe" them one by one. I try to keep them compartmentalized and not let them run free. If they are in a tight space they're more easily blown up by a single bomb, and their path is predictable. Once they escape their little compartment, or the "maze" area, they can roam free and you lose the ability to predict their behavior or box them in.

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Won a TurboGrafx-16 Squad Challenge!"

nosweargamer was awarded the badge 'Turbo Champ' and 10 points.

Not sure if I'll improve my score, but I'm giving it another go on the final world. Improved to 126,700!

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations No Swear Gamer!!

TWO IN A ROW! Congratulations to high score legend @nosweargamer on his second win in a row, and on becoming our new TurboGrafx-16 Bomberman '93 Squad Champion! No Swear blew it up with his stellar score of 126,700 points, landing himself the top spot in our Final Standings! NSG live-streamed his high score performance in front of an audience on YouTube, and all of his viewers got to watch him win. WAY TO GO @nosweargamer! And a big congratulations to everybody on all those incredible scores across the board! I hope Bomberman '93 was a fun game and a good reason to pull out the TurboGrafx-16.

I took 2nd Place in our Final Standings with my score of 114,100 points. High Score Squad regular @Atari 5200 Guy takes 3rd Place with his score of 52,300 points, that was an amazing effort! Newcomer @datafry joined us again and brought some super-sharp skills, taking 4th Place on our Final Standings with his score of 35,500 points! The legendary @btbfilms76 kicked off our event with his impressive score of 21,700 points, securing 5th Place. @Sabertooth played Bomberman '93 on his VCS and brought some seriously sharp skills of his own with an even 20,000 points, taking 6th Place. @RickR kept on fighting throughout, and reached 15,600 points to clench 7th. @Gianna was a passionate player and scored 10,100 points on her first time playing Bomberman '93. My congratulations to all who joined us in our TurboGrafx-16 Bomberman '93 Squad Challenge and shared these high scores. I hope everybody had a blast!

Also, we'd like to offer a BIG WELCOME to new member @datafry who joined us once again this week in High Score Squad. We're thrilled you're here, WELCOME!!

I'd also like to recognize and say thank you to Atari I/O's content creators who do so much to get the word out about High Score Squad events, and invite new friends to join our Atari Party at Atari I/O. @nosweargamer went live on YouTube on MULTIPLE occasions with our Bomberman '93 Squad Challenge and in each one played for over an hour before his subscribers. I was in attendance along with many of you and watched him achieve his fantastic scores! Be sure to subscribe to No Swear Gamer's YouTube Channel and join him on Discord. Congratulations on your 2nd win in a row!

HIGH SCORE SQUAD SPECIAL EVENT: ATARI VCS players be sure to stop by our new Club VCS and join us for our very first Recharged Squad Challenge! We're playing Missile Command: Recharged on the Atari VCS, now through March 31st! There will be new Recharged Squad Challenges coming every month in Club VCS, be sure to join us and show off your VCS skills. Big shoutout to @Sabertooth who is organizing the event and has been putting in tremendous work into making the Atari VCS community something genuinely amazing. THANK YOU to everyone who has been participating in Club VCS and inviting new Atari VCS fans to join us!

As always I'd like to encourage Squad Legend and our new champion @nosweargamer  to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to NSG, special thanks once again @Gianna nominating this game after playing Bomberman on Switch, and a big congratulations to our wonderful little community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing in our football league!

NOTE: We play an often overlooked Activision classic in our next High Score Squad Challenge -  Crackpots for the Atari 2600! Be there!

large.final_standings_turbografx_16_bomberman_93.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Nuts, Feb 28th came way too fast.  I'm going to keep playing this one because it's a lot of fun. 

This is EXACTLY the reason we created the Scoreboard! It's not just another Twin Galaxies, it's a way for us to continue our favorite High Score Squad Challenges over a long period of time. I hope you'll keep playing, @RickR, you're very good with strategy and I think something will "click" for you and you'll do very well at this game.

1 hour ago, datafry said:

This is was a blast to play.  One of those games you tend to gravitate back to all the time.  

So glad to hear it @datafry I hope you'll continue to join us for High Score Squad Challenges!

1 hour ago, nosweargamer said:

I see what you did there..

LOL you know it 😎