My Arcade Announces Three New Atari Products

Justin

I've been following this since My Arcade started teasing images just before the holidays. My take is that these all look very nice. The Atari50/Pong schema on the arcade and handheld is on point. However, My Arcade does not have a great reputation and I need another Atari collection like I need a hole in my head. If these had an SD reader or a cart slot, I might bite.

Edited by Sabertooth

If you ask me, classic games are cool. No doubt about it. But, I think Atari are milking too much from the classic stuff, and they should buckle down and invest in more original games. Don't get me wrong. I love the classics. But, it seems Atari do nothing but work with the classics. They should produce new and original games. I know they don't have a lot of money for that, or so it seems. But, they should try to invest what they can to preserve the Atari genre. More and better games should come out of this. I see just older games being re-marketed all the time from Atari. I want to see an original blockbuster game. I know they have the intellectual property to approximately forty-seven games. But, I think they should make new games that stand out. I guess that was all I could say about that.

Thanks for letting me share. :)

Edited by DegasElite

Atari *is* making new incredible games.  The "Recharged" series for example, and everything else on the VCS.  Yet a lot of "fans" poo-poo the system and seem gleeful about its so-called demise. 

I'm not sure what to think about these new systems.  It seems like everything shown has already been done.  But I guess we'll wait and see. 

Actually, even if its price was beyond my reach, I was seriously considering trying to save up for a VCS of some kind.  I was liking the recharged games I got from Epic and I really like the 50th anniversary carts they released albeit a bit pricey.  

But I do believe what DegasElite was saying.  Those old 2600 games can be milked for so long before everyone starts to get tired of them again.

As for My arcade's reputation...I'm biased on it.  I have a few of their mini cabs and have not had any issues with them.  I like what they are trying to do with Atari stuff but, I agree, slap a way to put an SD card in those devices please.

Yes. I agree. The Recharged series is phenomenal. No doubt. I would love to get a VCS because of those games and the fact it can emulate the various types of arcade games through MAME because it is a mini-PC. It can run Windows and, even with a little technical prowess, macOS. But, what Atari could benefit from is a shot in the arm. Rehashed titles like the Recharged series are outstanding. I understand that. But, they could come up with new intellectual properties in the form of more original games. After awhile, the nostalgia could wear out. Fads can do that over time. Right now, retro is king, but will it stay that way in video games? I don't know. However, I am interested in seeing "Akka Arrh" and Jeff Minter's attempt to finally bring it out.

That is an original idea, and kind of what I am talking about. But, Atari need more original ideas. More original games. Breathe new life into the system and keep the nostalgia at the same time. I love video game nostalgia and the VCS is a great system. No doubt. But, in my opinion (and I am not invalidating anybody else's opinion in any way because people are right about this), The VCS is capable of so much more. I guess that is what I am trying to say. It can have 36 GB of RAM and it has an AMD Ryzen GPU. If I were Wade Rosen, I would be discussing how to research and develop new and original titles just as good as the nostalgic games. If not somewhat better. That is what I mean. The VCS can be a game-changer in that respect. Utilize the hardware and let it loose.

Thanks for letting me share. :)

Edited by DegasElite

On 1/6/2023 at 5:39 PM, RickR said:

Atari *is* making new incredible games.  The "Recharged" series for example, and everything else on the VCS.  Yet a lot of "fans" poo-poo the system and seem gleeful about its so-called demise. 

I really like the "Recharged" series! I think some of the Recharged games came out better than others, but I appreciate them making a sincere effort. Centipede was fantastic.

On 1/6/2023 at 5:39 PM, RickR said:

I'm not sure what to think about these new systems.  It seems like everything shown has already been done.  But I guess we'll wait and see. 

Agreed! I would rather they find something between the current VCS "All In Bundle" and these little My Arcade products. If they had a revision of the VCS that they could price under $99 "all in" with an enticing "recharged" title or original game for under $99 (think $80 at Costco or online) I think that would go a long way to getting these into more homes. I want to see the VCS continue.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:59 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

even if its price was beyond my reach, I was seriously considering trying to save up for a VCS of some kind.

I hope you can do it! I love the VCS.

Here's an early review of the Gamestation. A third of the games are licensed non-Atari titles from Piko Interactive.

Obviously, hardcore Atari fans have a million ways to play these games and are not the target audience for this type of product. After the excellent Atari 50 ($29.99), I have no idea what the market is for this $99 device even to casual Atari fans.

Edited by Sabertooth

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

Here's an early review of the Gamestation. A third of the games are licensed non-Atari titles from Piko Interactive.

Obviously, hardcore Atari fans have a million ways to play these games and are not the target audience for this type of product. After the excellent Atari 50 ($29.99), I have no idea what the market is for this $99 device even to casual Atari fans.

Wow. I would much rather see the 2600+ in stores at that price with those same games - Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, "Pong", Warlords, Breakout, Gravitar, etc. I hope Atari isn't just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, I don't want them to oversaturate the market. Because we know how that ends.

Here is the follow up review by GenX GrownUp 

OK even I think this is pretty cool to see, as someone burned out on the overly focused 2600 which, make no mistake I LOVE, great to see some other classic Atari platforms represented, hopefully, this is the start of seeing more products focused on more Atari platforms. NGL this is way better than my skeptical ass expected.

Note at around the 30-minute mark stay tuned, he runs a bunch of games NOT included using ROMS off the SD card slot 😉

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

The Gen X Grown-up review definitely puts it in a better light. But again, I have a lot of ways to emulate retro game systems conveniently on my TV.

@TrekMD - the SD slot was an addition, as was the "paddle" on the controller.

I wonder if it supports any other controllers. I can't imagine playing NES and Genesis games with those things.