2023 Atari 7800 Buyers Guide

7800 Pro Gamer

@Silver Back This is terrific content! You bring a lot to the Forums and we're thrilled to have you in our community! :wreck-it-ralph:

4 hours ago, Silver Back said:

I know most of you are well steeped and established in the Atari 7800 and Atari communities as a whole, I just put out a buyers guide for people maybe looking to get into the console for the first time.

One of Atari I/O's biggest objectives is to be a beacon to new Atari players. We want to welcome new people to the World of Atari, people who went home to their parents house for Thanksgiving, found their old Atari 2600 in the basement and are rediscovering Atari for the first time in decades, people who bought a Flashback on sale at Costco and want to learn more, and young gamers who are just discovering Atari for the first time.

It's very important that new Atari players  - and don't feel like they've walked up to a closed inner-circle having a conversation that goes above most people's heads and isn't welcoming to newcomers.

For every esoteric conversation we have here about the inner workings of "Jack Tramiel and Shiraz Shivj debating the AMY chip being worked into 68000 architecture as opposed to the YM2149F", we also need to also have more welcoming conversations such as "what makes Centipede so fun." This video fits that perfectly! :nintendo_mario_1up:

It covers options for buying consoles and hooking them to different televisions, controllers to use, which games to start with and some homebrew recommendations including a game or two from atarisales.com and gooddealgames.com. 

It's meant to be an introduction and companion videos will be releasing for the life of the channel digging deeper into controllers etc.  If you have any game collector friends who maybe ignored the 7800 in the past, share it with them and see if it peeks there interest. 

A current-year Atari 7800 Buyer's Guide in video form is a fantastic tool! It helps to welcome new players and onboard more people into the 7800 and the World of Atari in general. Terrific work @Silver Back🏆

Oh and sorry if I've been posting this stuff excessively, I can cut back.

You have not been posting excessively. You are far from. hitting the guardrails. If you were monopolizing the conversation it would be obvious. You and your content are always welcome here :invader:

But I truly value all of your opinions and hope to get feedback and ways I can improve.  This community has been a big help in that and keeping me motivated.  Ok guys let me know thanks. 

It's so nice to hear that you feel that way. You're a big inspiration to us all!

The guide touches upon all the pertinent points for a newcomer. Great video @Silver Back. Your 7800 videos have been a great source of 7800 energy. I love your demeanor and speech delivery--very relaxing and yet engaging.

I left a comment on the video in YouTube regarding controllers. For those who may not be interested in the official Atari controllers for the 7800, there are affordable and more comfortable options. I have several joysticks and a Robotron gamepad made by retrogameboyz. His products are very good quality and affordable. I have moved up an arcade controller by Edladdin. Ed's work is a definite step up in quality as he's using genuine arcade parts, and consequently, the price is also a significant step up from retrogameboyz prices.

Wow there's so many kind words and long well thought out replies it's hard to know where to start!  The beginning maybe lol

10 hours ago, RickR said:

Keep posting.  It isn't excessive.  I've put this one on my watch list.  Thanks!

Thank you, it's hard to know what's too much sometimes. 

I'm having a hard time quoting stuff in your message on my phone @Justin but thank you.  I want to start guiding people this way as I feel it's more welcoming to most but I have to mention other forums for the reason of homebrew. I appreciate all the support. 

I think it's important to keep our side of the hobby alive and accessible.  The channel has 3 goals:

1. bring awareness to Atari specifically the lesser known 7800 era

2. allow ALL members and developers of the community both new and old (from the original guard at Atari corp to those keeping the system alive today) to get their due credit for all their hard work

3. and to grow the community and keep it alive hopefully long after us.  I hope the buyers guide and other videos embody these goals. 

8 hours ago, Jinroh said:

Great guide. 🙂

Happy to see @Video 61 and @peteym5 great version of Venture. 😄

Definitely will help newcomers get into the 7800. 

I feel not enough know about @Video 61 and @peteym5 so I'm glad to feature what I can.

8 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I left a comment on the video in YouTube regarding controllers. For those who may not be interested in the official Atari controllers for the 7800, there are affordable and more comfortable options. I have several joysticks and a Robotron gamepad made by retrogameboyz. His products are very good quality and affordable. I have moved up an arcade controller by Edladdin. Ed's work is a definite step up in quality as he's using genuine arcade parts, and consequently, the price is also a significant step up from retrogameboyz prices.

I plan on doing a controller video among many others. There are a ton of videos I have started and need to finish, some I need to restart as I keep learning more, and tons I need to start.  I have enough ideas written down to keep the channel running for about 14 months on planned content so hopefully I keep making you guys and the rest of the community proud. Thanks. 

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

@Silver Back You're welcome to create a "7800 Pro Gamer" Thread dedicated to your YouTube channel, in our YouTube Community Forum. We created the "YouTube Community" Forum specifically to help Atari I/O members promote their YouTube channels, build their audience, and help do exactly what you are doing - bring positive awareness to Atari platforms and build our classic gaming communities. The idea is you have a Thread dedicated entirely to your YouTube channel where you can embed your latest videos, and post news and updates about your channel, and carve out a spot within our Forums. If you share your videos to your thread regularly we will keep it pinned toward the top of the page, and you are welcome to share your videos in other parts of the Forums and status updates as well :wreck-it-ralph:

https://forums.atari.io/forum/46-youtube-community/ 

1 hour ago, Silver Back said:

I want to start guiding people this way as I feel it's more welcoming to most but I have to mention other forums for the reason of homebrew. I appreciate all the support.

Atari Age members are welcome here ☺️ You are more than welcome to post about Atari Age homebrews, share AA links, whatever you'd like. Most of our Atari I/O Members are on Atari Age as well.

I think it's important to keep our side of the hobby alive and accessible.  The channel has 3 goals:

1. bring awareness to Atari specifically the lesser known 7800 era

2. allow ALL members and developers of the community both new and old (from the original guard at Atari corp to those keeping the system alive today) to get their due credit for all their hard work

3. and to grow the community and keep it alive hopefully long after us.  I hope the buyers guide and other videos embody these goals. 

I TOTALLY AGREE!! :wreck-it-ralph_anim:

For you to take the time to create YouTube videos that draws attention to the Atari 7800 era, and depicts Atari in a positive light is profoundly appreciated. The more of that, the better. I think we all have the same goals, and I hope we're able to reach new people in the process.

I plan on doing a controller video among many others. There are a ton of videos I have started and need to finish, some I need to restart as I keep learning more, and tons I need to start.  I have enough ideas written down to keep the channel running for about 14 months on planned content so hopefully I keep making you guys and the rest of the community proud. Thanks. 

Can't wait to see what you cook up next!  :atari_7800: 

I believe I commented on your video.  I thought it was really well done and thought out.  The 7800 is such an underrated machine and never got to strut its stuff until it was too late.  I have not found a 7800 game yet that I do not like.  There are some I like more than others but I like all I have managed to acquire so far.  And games that are on the 7800 that were also on the NES or even other Atari consoles I feel play better on the 7800.  

A good buyers guide is what the 7800 needed where most of the games included were not on the "sell your house" list.  Even the first ten games in the 7800's library, CX7801 thru CX7810, has some of Atari and Namco's best arcade games.  There's one Williams game in that list by those ten games are easy to find and are very common.  Later official games seem to be harder to find based on their copyright year.  Or so it seems.

Keep 'em coming!  

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

@Atari 5200 Guy thank you so much for your support and checking out the video!  I'm glad people are finding it useful and like the information I provided.  In the next few months I'll have controller videos, peripheral videos and maybe another list of recommendations for games to buy at reasonable prices.

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

On 9/1/2023 at 9:04 PM, Silver Back said:

I plan on doing a controller video among many others.

Great video and looking forward to your next one. Btw, when you put together your controller video, don't forget to mention the Starplex controller. 7800 Asteroids is superb when paired with a Starplex. It really provides the arcade experience. I also recommend the RetroGameBoyz 7800 gamepad. If you look closely, you'll see one of mine in the pic below. Happy gaming everyone! 🙂

Asteroids_Starplex.jpg

Asteroids HS.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Great video and looking forward to your next one. Btw, when you put together your controller video, don't forget to mention the Starplex controller. 7800 Asteroids is superb when paired with a Starplex. It really provides the arcade experience. I also recommend the RetroGameBoyz 7800 gamepad. If you look closely, you'll see one of mine in the pic below. Happy gaming everyone! 🙂

Asteroids_Starplex.jpg

Asteroids HS.jpg

Great now I have to get one of those!  Lol I wasn't aware of that though I'll have to look into it!  Thanks for the heads up I want the controller video to be as exhaustive as possible.  Probably not good for views but good for fans who want to know what's out there lol

That one might be a ways away though...

Great now I have to get one of those!  Lol I wasn't aware of that though I'll have to look into it!  Thanks for the heads up I want the controller video to be as exhaustive as possible.  Probably not good for views but good for fans who want to know what's out there lol

I have several controllers as I like to try to pair the best controller (e.g., Starplex w/Asteroids & Edladdin Super Twin w/Robotron: 2084) with each game. For shooters I prefer a short throw and normally use a Slik Stik or Starfighter from Suncom. I really like the Suncom controllers.