Should You Sink Hundreds Into an Atari Jaguar?🤔

MaximumRD

The Atari Jaguar is a cartridge based console from the early to mid nineties that failed in the videogame market. It contended with consoles like the SNES, and Genesis first but eventually went toe to toe with the 3DO and even the Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn, but it didn't fair well against most of them. All in all, it is speculated that less than 150,000 Atari Jaguars were sold, and it marked the end of Atari in the console market for a very, very long time. It can be had from places like eBay today for quite a bit of money, but is it worth picking up? And why does it cost so much to begin with? Are the games hidden gems? Let's watch and find out!

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

haha... got my Atari Jaguar in 1999 for $30 from K B Toy Store. 

A really good practical video.

I know a lot of Bubsy fans want to try all the Bubsy games and when they get to the Jaguar exclusive, they can't justify it.  Luckily, with with BigPEmu playing Bubsy is almost perfect now.  Would I buy a $400 to $500 Jaguar now?   Probably not.  As said even with the Game Drive that is nearly a $600 price tag.   Wow!

However, I can say if I could somehow know all the fun I've had on the Jaguar since 1999, I'll the people I've met, worked with, projects worked on, and experiences related to the Jaguar, I'd buy a Jaguar anf Game Drive for $600.

I bought my Jaguar a few years ago to take part in the I/O high score challenge. I bought it with the intent to stick with the GameDrive and not get into collecting... but that failed 😂 I've collected a little over 30 games with some being homebrews and an unopened brand spanking new multi player adapter thingy.

Getting back to the question of whether it's "worth" it -- yes, it is. I wanted to reconnect with all things Atari. Outside of the 2600 and playing my friend's 5200, I had no experience with Atari's other consoles and handheld back in the day. But some decades later, I got the bug to revisit Atari's line-up.

Edited by socrates63