Squad Challenge - Midnight Magic (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Midnight Magic
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: DIFFICULTY A
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 29, 2024
Nominated by @Atari 5200 Guy @TrekMD and @Justin 

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 1st through February 29th, 2024. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, FPGA or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, save states and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

DIFFICULTY A. We will be playing Midnight Magic on DIFFICULTY A Expert Mode.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 155th Squad Challenge! 2024 is off to a great start, and we're continuing with what's widely regarded as the best Pinball game for the Atari 2600, Midnight Magic! PDF Instructions are included below. Enjoy!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Midnight Magic.pdf

Here's my humble submission: 125,730. I played on Stella 6.7 for Mac OS.

This is one heck of a port, and I absolutely suck at it lol. The ONLY reason I posted 125K is because I fluked my way into getting the 2x multiplier. I say that because I continue find new ways to lose a ball as soon as I hit the plunger. I just can't get the timing on the flippers or anything. So, in summation: Damn good port, but I truly stink.

20240204 2600 MidnightMagic GmA 125730.png

21 minutes ago, RickR said:

I also feel like the flippers don't really offer any satisfying power.  They are like slow wet noodles. 

BUT these are very minor nitpicks.  I think the game is excellent. 

This version is visually impressive and holds up when compared to the other versions (Apple II, C64).