ATARI DAY - On the 26th day of each month, show the world how much you love Atari!

DeLorean

10 minutes ago, RickR said:

Happy Atari day!  Since it falls on a Saturday this month, there's plenty of time for games.  I plan on some Chip's Challenge later.

@HDN , I hope you get your 7800 back soon.

I talked to my mom about Atari Day and asked if I could have it back just for today. After trying to convince her for a while, she said I have to practice guitar for 4 hours in order do get it back for the day. Sigh. I did have other plans; my local video store's last day is today and they're selling their games for a dollar each. I am going to camp out and wait until they open at noon.

Yes. I got a guitar. My dad got it because it was the only way for my mom to stop yelling at me and get my stuff back. As soon as I have my stuff back permanently I'm never touching this God-forsaken thing again. My fingertips have never felt such pain.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, RickR said:

Maybe I should get my axe out and learn some video game themes.  Or hey, some of those tv themes from the other thread. 

We can start a virtual atari.io band!

20200926_074206.jpg

Dude, that thing is AWESOME. By all means, if you can fit that into the junk box I would be very grateful. LMAO

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Maybe today I'll be able to play my 7800 or something again. Otherwise I might play some Intellivision or some Atari-published Namco games. What will you guys be doing for Atari Day?

It's been a good day so far. Only one problem-- I forgot to save my Atari shirt for today and I wore it a few days ago! Whoops!

@Atari Creep I'll have to watch that video later.

56 minutes ago, Atari Creep said:

Dude, that thing is AWESOME. By all means, if you can fit that into the junk box I would be very grateful. LMAO

My son "borrowed" the guitar. I got mad at him -- not for borrowing it -- but for not asking first.  But we had a little talk and now all is well. 

5 hours ago, RickR said:

My son "borrowed" the guitar. I got mad at him -- not for borrowing it -- but for not asking first.  But we had a little talk and now all is well. 

Hard to be mad when you're sharing the gift of music brother. But, for real, that is wicked nice. Do you refinish it? Looks like one of them wicked cool Japanese 60's "drug store" guitar like Tesco. Gold foil single coils, sound so good.  

I bought it from a pawn shop when I was my son's age or so (a LONG time ago).  You have a good eye...it's a Silvertone, which was a Sears or Monkey Wards house brand and it has a build date of 1965 stamped inside.  It has a beautiful sound, but it requires skinny fingers to play it well.  I redid the electronics back then and touched up the body with black model paint.  I'm glad young me didn't go too extreme, as I think it looks and sounds so cool all stock. 

You are right, and I'm not really mad.  I know this COVID bullsh@t is hard on the kids and us parents.  I just want that basic respect of ASKING before they take something.  I think every parent knows this feeling. 

4 hours ago, socrates63 said:

On Atari Day today, I will be playing. It's football season, and I replied to NSG's giveaway post that I will play it during autumn 🍁🍁 I'm sure I'll have better play calling and execution during the final 2 minutes of a game to close out a game than the Seahawks yesterday 🤬🤦‍♂️

football-atari-2600-1978.jpg.d9a9234911be0df601879925fbd2eae1.jpg

That Seahawks ending was pretty brutal.  But let's be honest....their defense is TERRIBLE this year.  Poor Russell Wilson has to carry a big load.  Why'd they let Clowney go? 

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

I bought it from a pawn shop when I was my son's age or so (a LONG time ago).  You have a good eye...it's a Silvertone, which was a Sears or Monkey Wards house brand and it has a build date of 1965 stamped inside.  It has a beautiful sound, but it requires skinny fingers to play it well.  I redid the electronics back then and touched up the body with black model paint.  I'm glad young me didn't go too extreme, as I think it looks and sounds so cool all stock. 

You are right, and I'm not really mad.  I know this COVID bullsh@t is hard on the kids and us parents.  I just want that basic respect of ASKING before they take something.  I think every parent knows this feeling. 

I wasn't glossing over the fact that he didn't ask. Thought that was a given that anger would ensue. Ok, I know exactly what "brand" you're talking about. They were all produced in the same 2 or 3 factories for different venders and under so many different names. In some cases NO BRANDING at all. They all have a wicked rad vibe and unique sound. So glad ya kept it all these years. Loos awesome tuxedoed out.    

6 hours ago, RickR said:

One more thing @Atari Creep, the weirdest thing about that guitar is that every single time I take it out in public, people ask "is it for sale?".  I've been tempted a few times to sell and just get a nice new strat, but then I come to my senses.  HELL NO!  🙂

Well? IS IT?

All fun aside, I say keep it. If you were to ever sell it I would hope you made sure it went to the best home for it as you can find. 

Edited by Atari Creep

16 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Also, that is a sweet guitar @RickR!  I'm think of grabbing one of the new Harmony Silhouette models which is reminiscent of the old Silvertone (and Harmony) department store guitars. 

That would be a cool buy!  I'd feel a lot more comfortable putting some custom paint on a new one.  Please post pics if you decide to buy any guitar. 

The exact model name of mine is "Silvertone Bobkat 1476". 

You don't like cranberries, @HDN?  That's fine, of course.  I'll admit, they can be kind of sour/bitter.  Just a little bit on the turkey for me. 

We've simplified things a lot this year and are just staying home.  We bought a turkey breast (about 8 lbs) and will cook that outside on the pellet grill.  Hopefully it will be delicious. 

I have on my list today to play some Atari Haunted House and also try to catch up to @RadioPoultry's Major Havoc score.  Have a great day, everyone!

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

You don't like cranberries, @HDN?  That's fine, of course.  I'll admit, they can be kind of sour/bitter.  Just a little bit on the turkey for me.

Actually, quite the opposite. They're my favorite! Sadly, I won't be able to travel across the country to eat all the cranberries, so I'll need some help.

My actual least favorite thing on the Thanksgiving table is mashed potatoes. I wish I liked them, but the weird texture and smell make me gag. I just hate them. Life would be a lot easier if I didn't hate them.