Sears is Closing The Very First & My Hometown Kmart

nosweargamer

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14001947/1/sears-is-closing-the-first-kmart-opened-and-these-photos-reveal-how-far-chain-has-fallen.html

This is a bit sad for me. Not only was it the first, but it was the one in my hometown, and we shopped there often. I have memories from there of buying my first G.I. Joes & Go Bots, eating at the Snack Bar (and getting souvenir cups for Brave Starr), seeing the first TMNT on VHS playing on displays as well as Thriller and of course the traveling Blue Light Special cart.

It's a shame they couldn't keep pace with Wal Mart and Target, but in all honesty, in recent years their prices tended to be higher, stores were dirtier and customer service not as good.

Oh well...

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I remember when the Christian music store in Winnipeg closed.  It closed mainly due to bad parking, but the building was amazing.  I got a lot of great music from there.  They closed back in 2014, but reopened in a dfferent location a year later.  Although I'm glad they're back, it just isn't the same.

It's always sad when a store from your childhood closes.

The K-Mart in Portland that I went to as a kid closed a few years ago, and it is sad.  The most shocking thing was that they explained it as "losing their lease".  You'd think a store that's been in that spot for 50 years would OWN the property.  Probably some form of Enron accounting. 

That K-Mart in Portland was the place I purchased many Atari games and toys as a kid (and sadly, clothes and shoes -- I know now we weren't that well-off back then).  Lots of great memories.  Especially that silly little merry-go-round in front of the store. 

I remember when the Christian music store in Winnipeg closed.  It closed mainly due to bad parking, but the building was amazing.  I got a lot of great music from there.  They closed back in 2014, but reopened in a dfferent location a year later.  Although I'm glad they're back, it just isn't the same.

It's always sad when a store from your childhood closes.

Since you are a fan of Christian music, here's me and the Mrs with someone you might recognize.   Also the shirt is a (somewhat) obscure Christian prog band. :)

1052505_10200153881591761_2119847729_o.j

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

It's sad when stores from childhood close up shop.  Most of the stores in my hometown I visited as a child are no more.  The original Wal-Mart was in a shopping center that, once Wal-Mart moved, became homes for Curtis Mathis, Service Merchandise, and for the last years until I moved was a huge pawn shop called Castle.  As far as I know the pawn shop is still there.  Across the street from there is a main music store called Ashley's music.  In a small building to the left of that was another record store called Unicorn audio who was family friends with my mother and her first boyfriend after Dad passed away.  That is where some of my 5200 games came from...and where I discovered Star Raiders.

As for Christian music...I use to play bass for the church I attended before I moved to Missouri known as Brand New Church, or BNC.  They had Saturday night services and two Sunday morning services.  The church is probably the nicest setup I've ever seen with areas setup like elementary schools to keep age groups together, an indoor play area and theater-style setting for the kids, the main area was setup much like a music theater in Branson, Missouri.  I enjoyed every minute I got to perform with the rest of the music group and it gave me a new outlook on life when I was having very troubled times.  I miss it and would love to play bass with a group again.  The music we had to learn in a week's time for weekend services were songs from Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Delirious?, and a few other Christian Alternative groups.  I remember one weekend service started a new series and one of the songs we had to learn was Pretender by Foo Fighters.  That was intense but a lot of fun!  During rehearsals and practicing before the services started our music leader would throw in some classic rock songs to help us remove any stress and woes.  Playing some Bon Jovi and AC/DC songs with them was just as much fun.  I have to admit that the Christian music has a lot of techniques that some, even to this day, makes my hair stand up when I hear it.  

Here in Canada, K-Mart was a staple of affordable items for every member of the household (castle).

While we'd go there for clothes (ugh), boots (meh) and schoolware (nooooo), there was a middle section of the store with glass display cases holding Super-8 films.

Projector reels like these were the Netflix of the day.

Would get to grab some Disney, old (40s old!) Batman serials and just about anything really.

This section became the VG area, with Atari proudly displayed for testing.

Carts would run about forty dollars, so these were gift items sparsely acquired.

Of course, toss in some Kenner SW in there and you got yourself an idea of the treasure trove K-Mart was for me.

SInce the toys and reels were 'family-priced' - so that you could buy these while getting essentials and it didn't break the bank - I always walked out of there with a toy or a 'be good and we'll see' out of it.

I'm kinda surprised this chain has lasted this long, as ours closed down in the mid to late 80s, if I recall correctly (replaced by a Sears, appropriately enough).

Fond memories of this store, ayup

I went to a Radio Shack today that we ran into when we were out of town, made me remember why I loved them so much. Always people talking about what they are building or how to build something. It made me remember when I would go in there to get snap kits and podcasting equipment when I was younger (that was like 4 years ago, but still)

Retro obsessed dude

The Sears where I grew up disappeared back in the 80's.  It was my favorite department store growing up as we used to make our Christmas lists using the annual Wishbooks that came out.  Actually they moved to the local mall up until the early 2000's (southside Chicago area).  There's still a Sears store where I live now (SW Florida) and it does well since there isn't another one close by but then again this area does far better in retail than the shabby south side of Chicago...