Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

Something very new to me!  An XBOX 360.  From a family friend:  "Do you want this or should I take it to the dump?"  Me:  "Hell yes I want it".

Can someone please help me with this?  I have so many questions:

• What model of 360 is this?
  • Should I factory reset it?
  • The controllers shouldn't need wires, right? 
  • WTHeck is that weird plastic gismo off to the right?  I assume it goes with some game.

xbox 360 002.JPG

You never had an Xbox 360, Rick? Awesome! I became a full time console gamer starting with the 360.

You have the final iteration of the 360, the E model. I believe it is considered the most reliable one. Here's an article that briefly covers the console iterations.

The controllers are wireless and run on two AA batteries unless you have the rechargeable battery packs. I use AA rechargeable batteries.

Yes that gizmo goes with a game. I'm not sure whether that's the accessory for the Skylander game series or it's for something else.

You should probably consider adding an external USB HD. You're going to run out of space soon when you start installing games.

I love the 360. It's a great console with a lot of good games, and the games are cheap and plentiful. I believe as a general rule of thumb, games run better on the 360 than the PS3, so it's the choice platform for most multi-platform games.

8 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

You never had an Xbox 360, Rick? Awesome! I became a full time console gamer starting with the 360.

You have the final iteration of the 360, the E model. I believe it is considered the most reliable one. Here's an article that briefly covers the console iterations.

The controllers are wireless and run on two AA batteries unless you have the rechargeable battery packs. I use AA rechargeable batteries.

Yes that gizmo goes with a game. I'm not sure whether that's the accessory for the Skylander game series or it's for something else.

You should probably consider adding an external USB HD. You're going to run out of space soon when you start installing games.

I love the 360. It's a great console with a lot of good games, and the games are cheap and plentiful. I believe as a general rule of thumb, games run better on the 360 than the PS3, so it's the choice platform for most multi-platform games.

Thank you!  No, I've never had one for myself, although my youngest kid had one.  I never touched it.  I *do* have a PS3, so this won't be too strange.  I also have a whole stack of discs that I've found and kept over the years.  40 games, according to my spreadsheet.  🙂  Thanks for the response, I may contact you with more questions.  Right now, I'm charging up some AA batteries. 

Do you know if I have to create an account or anything?  Factory reset is a good idea?

Edited by RickR

2 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Steve, are you the client that Jesse was referring to? Looks cool. Besides Super Breakout, what other games are good with the 5200 paddle?

I have one too, and it is awesome with any game that has side to side motion.  Space Invaders, Galaxian are two that come to mind.  It's a complete hoot to play those games with a paddle. 

1 minute ago, - Ω - said:

I wouldn't mind a paddle for my 5200 Tempest cartridge.  Where do I get ahold of one of those and how much do they go for?

As far as I know, they are homemade.  It involves removing one axis pot and replacing the other with a radial potentiometer (from a 2600 paddle).  I haven't tried it with Tempest, but I should! 

The best home version of Tempest is the one that comes free on the VCS using the classic controller (which has a dial).  It's the arcade ROM. 

20 minutes ago, RickR said:

As far as I know, they are homemade.  It involves removing one axis pot and replacing the other with a radial potentiometer (from a 2600 paddle).  I haven't tried it with Tempest, but I should! 

The best home version of Tempest is the one that comes free on the VCS using the classic controller (which has a dial).  It's the arcade ROM. 

The version I have was purchased from the AtariAge store a few years ago.  I've only played it once. 🙄

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

20 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Well, I had this surprise arrival today...

MyArcadeGameStationPro(1).jpg.531ecf7e1c393646a3f1ad28e172e9da.jpg

MyArcadeGameStationPro(2).jpg.9f7bf55aa627ee24ed4dc4f940889eb4.jpg

MyArcadeGameStationPro(3).jpg.fbcf71104e81f92d8704ee066eb8e8d7.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on this unit!  I've been wanting the original 1979 arcade version of Lunar Lander for decades, and this unit has it!  So I purchased the unit for the TV in the bedroom, which will put those wireless controllers to use.

I did notice that the Amazon quantity indicator LIES.  It said there was only one left when I clicked buy... it still says there is one left.  But at that price, it's a real good deal!

LIars.JPG.311cd55f57e6e6191d84dd508a7ca269.JPG

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

2 hours ago, - Ω - said:

@TrekMD  Please let me know if that micro SD card slot does anything other than expanded score settings...

It does work.  Check out the videos that were posted above.  The only limitation is that the games have to have a specific file name to work (i.e., a26 for the 2600 games, a52 for the 5200, a78 for the 7800, etc.).  You even saved some money by ordering from Amazon.  Neither Sam's nor BJ's had it locally, so bought it directly from My Arcade.  Of course, as soon as I order it, someone saw it at Costco locally and then I saw it at BJ's in Orlando cheaper.  Oh well.  Oh, and it wasn't available on Amazon either! 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

5 hours ago, RickR said:

Thank you!  No, I've never had one for myself, although my youngest kid had one.  I never touched it.  I *do* have a PS3, so this won't be too strange.  I also have a whole stack of discs that I've found and kept over the years.  40 games, according to my spreadsheet.  🙂  Thanks for the response, I may contact you with more questions.  Right now, I'm charging up some AA batteries. 

Do you know if I have to create an account or anything?  Factory reset is a good idea?

I think you only need a Microsoft account. I believe the Xbox gamer account and Microsoft account have been merged. That should set you up to make eshop purchases. I think the 360 store is still operational.

If you want to play online multiplayer then you have to have a Game Pass subscription.

Factory resetting should be fine. Looking at the screen shot, it doesn't look to have been hacked or anything, so I don't think you'll lose anything.

OK, I started playing around a bit last night (and created quite a nice likeness of myself for the "Mii" or whatever they call the avatars).  There are several great games on the hard drive, so I'm not going to reset it.  I'll just remove the other profiles.  I played a round of "Hydro Thunder" and OMG, that's quite a nice water effect! 

There's also some battery corrosion in the battery holders, so I'll work on that. 

Thank you guys for the help.