Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

59 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

New addition!

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  I hope you both feel better soon.

Neat addition!  I look forward to hearing what you think and how you think it compares to Xbox-360.  I've been having trouble deciding which of those two to spend time on. 

36 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  I hope you both feel better soon.

Neat addition!  I look forward to hearing what you think and how you think it compares to Xbox-360.  I've been having trouble deciding which of those two to spend time on. 

I had a PS3 before I had a 360.  Even though I have more history and experience with the 360 I honestly prefer the PS3. It seems to be a more capable console.

I personally like the fact I don’t need batteries for the controllers.  And Xbox 360 controllers gobble those up.  We have rechargeable batteries for our 360 controllers and I’m changing those daily if I do any heavy gaming. I have also had 360 controllers wear out after a few months of use.

Over the years it was in production the 360 dashboard got lots of updates. The last update seemed to slow the system down somehow and it now has a habit of popping up a message saying you have been playing for hours when the system has just been turned on and a game started.  It’s annoying and they won’t fix it.

The main decision you would have to make boils down to exclusive titles.  Halo, Forza, Gears of War can only be played on the 360 while Gran Turismo, Jak & Daxter, and God of War are on PlayStation.  It really boils down to what games you have that are not on the other you would want to spend time on.

Other factors to consider: Xbox is slowly removing 360 games from the Marketplace and have removed Indie games completely.  While they have kept some games there it’s only about a quarter of what use to be there. I’ve noticed the same with the PS3 Store since the last time I send it over 10 years ago but it has more offerings. 

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

I appreciate your opinion very much!  My main observations are that I think I like the PS3 more just because the controller is more comfortable.  But the games take longer to load. 

Weird. Games on mine load pretty quick.  But I’ve only tried GT5 so far. My 360 consoles are much slower.  I also have that Hydro Thunder game.  I got it free with Games with Gold when they still did that.

You need to get a PS5 man. That thing blows Xbox One out of the water!

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

7 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

My impression on the VCS is meh. It seems to struggle doing things.  

If you're starting from new, you have a lot of updates to get through - three years of them. After the updates you should be good to go. If you're having specific issues, feel free to ask in ClubVCS hardware discussion and someone should be able to help.

Edited by Sabertooth

On 1/27/2024 at 2:51 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

The cooling fan in it seems to struggle and you can hear it like someone is mashing a gas pedal for a second to rev a car engine.

There's a workaround for that - disabling "core boost" in the BIOS.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:56 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I did notice it takes a while from exiting a game for the Home Screen to show up. Sometimes over a minute.

Wilikers, that's certainly not the typical experience!

11 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Very nice @TrekMD! I'm still patiently waiting for my order. I checked over the weekend after a few folks got theirs. It still says pending. Order placed 6/22/23.

2 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

You and I are in the same boat, @Sabertooth! Man, seeing all these orders coming in is making me extra-impatient 😆

Same here.  I'm still waiting.