Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

1 hour ago, RickR said:

OK, I started playing around a bit last night (and created quite a nice likeness of myself for the "Mii" or whatever they call the avatars).  There are several great games on the hard drive, so I'm not going to reset it.  I'll just remove the other profiles.  I played a round of "Hydro Thunder" and OMG, that's quite a nice water effect! 

There's also some battery corrosion in the battery holders, so I'll work on that. 

Thank you guys for the help. 

You know there’s an old version of Stella for the Wii (Wii2600). It was based on Stella 2.7.2. I added it to our consoleas well as, a 7800 emulator (don’t recall what it was based on). I’ve had mine boxed up for years. As our boys got older, we simply stopped playing it. 

I *finally* found a nice box for Atari 400.  It came with all the inserts as well.  And a bonus 400 that is very dirty but does work. 

My plan was to put my pristine 400 into this box, and I still may do that...BUT the serial number of this dirty 400 matches what is on the box, so it should probably stay together. 

New plan:  Clean up this 400 as thoroughly as possible, make sure it fully works and has a GTIA (not CTIA), and then attempt to upgrade the memory to 48k.  If all that goes well, maybe sell off my current 400. 

atari 400 001.JPG

atari 400 002.JPG

atari 400 004.JPG

18 minutes ago, RickR said:

New plan:  Clean up this 400 as thoroughly as possible, make sure it fully works and has a GTIA (not CTIA), and then attempt to upgrade the memory to 48k.  If all that goes well, maybe sell off my current 400. 

Nice plan. Always cool to have a numbers matching CIB, when possible. 👍🏼 

Edited by sramirez2008

Stellar Track for 2600!

Well, I already owned a box and cart (both in really bad condition), which you can see in pic #1.  That's my cart on the right.  I purchased a cart and manual on ebay.  It turns out, the seller was Willie from ArcadeUSA! 

My box has a price sticker on the top (original price $29.99 with a sale price of $23.99 in pencil).  Anyway, I put the better cart and manual in my old box and now you can see it on my shelf.

Question for you guys:  Where is the best place to buy the protective clear box covers for Atari games?

Stellar Track 001.JPG

Stellar Track 002.JPG

Stellar Track 004.JPG

Edited by RickR

Yesterday, I met up with a member of a local retro computer society and made a trade (something I rarely do). He was offering the Lego 2600 set. He said he didn't get any joy from it sitting on the shelf and had more fun assembling it. I'm totally the opposite 🙂 Assembling stuff is not my favorite pastime anymore, so being able to get one fully assembled was a bonus. He did include the manual if I wanted to take it apart and put it together myself though 😂 

I traded my spare heavy sixer. In my mind, I traded one display piece for another. The Lego 2600 has heft and it feels about as heavy as a real 2600. I am very impressed by the quality. If only it was cheaper (around $75), I probably would have bought it new, but there was no way I was going to buy a display piece for what this set costs at retail. Having said that, it is a marvel and $200 doesn't seem unreasonable.

IMG_1264.jpeg.c2bdc6c84692f5b93964cc17c31cd287.jpeg

On 11/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Smell Dawg said:

On the topic of rough boxes, here's a feeBay purchase that came in the mail yesterday.  Another title I haven't previously tried; it's come up in several books I've recently read and has been mentioned several times in the Atari discords amongst all the 2600+ excitement!

20231125_031159599_iOS.jpg

I ❤️ Beamrider. I only found out about this game a few years ago when I played for a high score challenge. It's a top 10 game for me. I actually think the 2600 version looks better than the 5200 version.

On Black Friday, I drove nearly two hours to visit a game store owned by members of the greater Seattle retro gaming group. I've been wanting to visit the store for the past few years, and finally made it out. I sold a duplicate game from my collection to the store owner and decided to deliver it to him.

While there, I bought some stuff 🙂 Of all the retro gaming stores that I've visited in the greater Seattle area, this store had the most amount of Atari stuff. There was also a healthy amount of Intellivision and a smattering of other systems like the ColecoVision and even C64. There was a Commodore 128, Atari 130XE with 1050, two 2600 Jr in excellent condition. I was sorely tempted to pick up a 2600 Jr and the 130XE. If they're still there the next time I visit 🙂 I may have to pick them up. 

In my excitement over seeing one of my favorite A8 games in the wild, I bought an XEGS copy of Necromancer not realizing that I already had it in my collection 🤦‍♂️ I was super stoked to find a copy of CIB Porky's in excellent condition.

IMG_1270.jpeg.54f0d99530826a91f40d62d535adf9e7.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg.110de3e6baae3a4dfec3fa54fb2737f1.jpeg

IMG_0033.jpeg.0d7aacf62d0825ca025e0420c96bc5f2.jpeg

Nice finds!  There's a store near Naples (about 2 hours away) from me that I want to visit.  I went there several years ago but the store was moved after it was destroyed by one of the hurricanes last year.  So, I need to go to their new location. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

On 11/23/2023 at 2:00 PM, socrates63 said:

Yesterday, I met up with a member of a local retro computer society and made a trade (something I rarely do). He was offering the Lego 2600 set. He said he didn't get any joy from it sitting on the shelf and had more fun assembling it. I'm totally the opposite 🙂 Assembling stuff is not my favorite pastime anymore, so being able to get one fully assembled was a bonus. He did include the manual if I wanted to take it apart and put it together myself though 😂 

I traded my spare heavy sixer. In my mind, I traded one display piece for another. The Lego 2600 has heft and it feels about as heavy as a real 2600. I am very impressed by the quality. If only it was cheaper (around $75), I probably would have bought it new, but there was no way I was going to buy a display piece for what this set costs at retail. Having said that, it is a marvel and $200 doesn't seem unreasonable.

IMG_1264.jpeg.c2bdc6c84692f5b93964cc17c31cd287.jpeg

Oh man that’s so sweet. The lego 2600 is so cool. Much cooler than the NES one in my opinion. Honestly I think it might be my favorite set they’ve ever made; the attention to detail is phenomenal. I mean the instructions look just like the instructions to the real 2600! I really do have to get me one of these sets before they go out of print. It’s been too long since I’ve built a good old Lego set.

Finally got the bits and bobs together to get this up and going with a new power supply, well used but working controller, and got the SD Loader installed and working well. Such a fun system! Just too bad it had a short life and didn't get more games released for it.

20231127_194942.jpg.3cd21e427f63940538ea75cb54fcd8f4.jpg

20231128_021352.jpg.67a3996c981f1eedcf56a1f3cafe56da.jpg

20231128_021930.jpg.7c3d9bb8a1fe08e76bac606031da5efe.jpg

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

42 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Finally got the bits and bobs together to get this up and going with a new power supply, well used but working controller, and got the SD Loader installed and working well. Such a fun system! Just too bad it had a short life and didn't get more games released for it.

20231127_194942.jpg.3cd21e427f63940538ea75cb54fcd8f4.jpg

20231128_021352.jpg.67a3996c981f1eedcf56a1f3cafe56da.jpg

20231128_021930.jpg.7c3d9bb8a1fe08e76bac606031da5efe.jpg

Welcome to the new world of Neo•Geo :neogeo:

I was one of the many who used the "we're sorry the black EXP got so delayed" Funstock coupon on the Atomic Edition preorder - that was June 1st.  Only four days after receiving the shipping notification from Great Britain, it showed up at my door in Montana (wow!).  

Haven't tried a single one of the titles from any of these three other carts here; should make for a pretty fun little gaming session when I get to 'em!

20231128_002757229_iOS.jpg.cb3fe4fbe7931b01aa90880c64b48556.jpg

HOLY SH@T!  I can't stop saying it because LOOK at what I've found.  Rarity of rarities, it's the Commodore Educator PET-64. 

It is somewhat broken (it freezes a few minutes after boot) but I'm hoping I can repair it.  First step is a nice, careful, thorough cleaning.  And yes, I have the broken "5" key. 

PXL_20231129_225935595.jpg

40 minutes ago, RickR said:

HOLY SH@T!  I can't stop saying it because LOOK at what I've found.  Rarity of rarities, it's the Commodore Educator PET-64. 

It is somewhat broken (it freezes a few minutes after boot) but I'm hoping I can repair it.  First step is a nice, careful, thorough cleaning.  And yes, I have the broken "5" key. 

Why is the "5" key prone to breaking?

1 hour ago, RickR said:

AWESOME FIND!  You know if it freezes after warming up, it could be something as simple as a thermal problem with old dried out heat sink compound.  When you open it up, look for white dried out paste between a chip and a heat sink as your first target.  With a machine that old, it's a common problem, especially if it works fine before warming up.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>