Finally put together my classic gaming corner!

MaximumRD

😎Yay! Finally my little “retro gaming” corner is pretty much complete! The first image displaying Dragon Spirit on my TG-16 is the final setup after cleaning, rewiring and organizing.
7C02DC38-7F3F-4ED2-A8B0-2019D9F072CC.jpeg.ffe5f0efa9835d7fd5a8694747ada3f6.jpeg

Middle image with SuperNES Lemmings displayed was starting to come together, added the little BOSE SPEAKER which packs more punch then the tinny sounding TV speakers, I compared and it provides the rich deep arcade cabinet sound which compliments this sharp little Toshiba crt. 

Also, added a nice AV SWITCHER with blue LED display, I’ve had it for years doing very little with it, I like it as it match’s the TV and even my Retrobit RetroTrio which are all silver for that classic electronics aesthetic.
6BF7BCAD-7042-43EE-8234-E34F416CCFDE.jpeg.96e9b8f4817288d6cb244afdfd76b0d0.jpeg

The last image is what I started with, a mess, cluttered, dusty, unorganized but I spent the day with the goal of getting this long overdue project completed. Finally satisfied overall, it’s not much but at least it’s something! 

1BE1FE2B-F2E4-4E78-BB3C-ACF1EFE087D7.jpeg.2f52f31e91b5226b9e7c3f943507868d.jpeg

I have literally no room for my hobby stuff but this tiny little retro gaming corner is at least something and I got SNES/Genesis/NES covered with the RetroTrio with a Tg-16 underneath and Everdrives carts for all of them. With this setup I can easily add in my Dreamcast or Ps1/Ps2/GameCube etc when needed. I look forward to actually playing and enjoying my systems.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Wow @MaximumRD that setup looks so clean and organized compared to the image on the bottom! It's really nice to click on this and randomly see the wooden Atari drink coaster make an appearance with you playing TurboGrafx-16! How cool.

Thanks very satisfying, honestly should have done it years ago, now my Everdrives getting some use instead of just sitting in storage, played several NES / SuperNES and TG-16-PCengine games already, look and sound great, cannot beleive I put it off for so long. Love playing roms of unrelesed games, translated games and hacks as well on the original consoles! Better late than never I suppose.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

15 hours ago, RickR said:

This is awesome!  There's a lot of gaming goodness in that tiny space.  Well done!!!!

I really like the idea of the extra speaker to give the audio some punch.  How did you wire that?  Does your TV have audio out jacks?

Hard to see in image but to the left of the Composite AV input jacks is a headphone output jack which pkaugs directly into the BOSE Aux input. The Speaker is powered / charged through a little mini USB input. Its amazing as through the TV speaker set around 90% volume is equal to volume level with BOSE turned up all the way MAX but the TV needs only be turned up to around level 8 lol. So much more punch and depth to the lows it sounds like an arcade cabinet. I should have done this so long ago but other priorities and life issues mixed in with some procrastination I guess, but it's done now and I plan on playing more retro games as I am having fun exploring all the library of titles revisting cherished classics and discovering all kinds of I never personally played before. Anyway, the best part? I am literally making use the best I can of what I have but the BOSE SPEAKER and the little 13 inch TOSHIBA CRT from 2005 (I looked it up) were finds in our electronics recycling ! I was so glad to find a nice tiny quality CRT for this purpose! 

- M. Bison

Awesome, Rob!

A couple of days ago, my wife said I should take out her piano from my study so I can have more room for my retro gaming. Right now, it's a small corner setup with a TV stand and a bunch of consoles and controllers strewn on the floor. When the piano is moved out to the living room, I'll have an entire wall.

On 9/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, MaximumRD said:

Hard to see in image but to the left of the Composite AV input jacks is a headphone output jack which pkaugs directly into the BOSE Aux input. The Speaker is powered / charged through a little mini USB input. Its amazing as through the TV speaker set around 90% volume is equal to volume level with BOSE turned up all the way MAX but the TV needs only be turned up to around level 8 lol. So much more punch and depth to the lows it sounds like an arcade cabinet. I should have done this so long ago but other priorities and life issues mixed in with some procrastination I guess, but it's done now and I plan on playing more retro games as I am having fun exploring all the library of titles revisting cherished classics and discovering all kinds of I never personally played before. Anyway, the best part? I am literally making use the best I can of what I have but the BOSE SPEAKER and the little 13 inch TOSHIBA CRT from 2005 (I looked it up) were finds in our electronics recycling ! I was so glad to find a nice tiny quality CRT for this purpose! 

Very nice setup!  Just be careful with sitting speakers that close to your TV.  I'm not trying to burst your bubble but I don't want to see your stuff get ruined from a slight oversight.  Some speakers have a magnet in them and can distort the beam in the tube.  So many things come with magnets these days that are harmful to old computer, TV, and console gear that it gets overlooked, missed, and then some wonder why those things don't work or are acting weird.  And I just don't want you to experience that as it would not be pleasant.  😉 Again, very nice setup.  I like seeing these as it can give ideas to those running out of room or just starting.

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Very nice setup!  Just be careful with sitting speakers that close to your TV.  I'm not trying to burst your bubble but I don't want to see your stuff get ruined from a slight oversight.  Some speakers have a magnet in them and can distort the beam in the tube.  So many things come with magnets these days that are harmful to old computer, TV, and console gear that it gets overlooked, missed, and then some wonder why those things don't work or are acting weird.  And I just don't want you to experience that as it would not be pleasant.  😉 Again, very nice setup.  I like seeing these as it can give ideas to those running out of room or just starting.

Heh, oh trust me I am old-school and experienced, I learned the hard way through much tinkering over the years. I know all about the effects on magnets on TUBE TV's, degaussing etc. I appreciate the concern but from what I can see, even with the BOSE speakers literally up against the side there is no ill affect, I suspect it is very well shielded.  😎😉

- M. Bison

On 10/16/2021 at 3:07 AM, MaximumRD said:

Heh, oh trust me I am old-school and experienced, I learned the hard way through much tinkering over the years. I know all about the effects on magnets on TUBE TV's, degaussing etc. I appreciate the concern but from what I can see, even with the BOSE speakers literally up against the side there is no ill affect, I suspect it is very well shielded.  😎😉

I wonder if that is something we will start to see no longer? Shielded speakers? Today's modern LCD and OLED based display tech isn't affected by this. Similar to how I see people not using magnets within their computer cases to attach their RGB light strips and controller boxes because HDD are mostly flash based SSDs these days?

That would present a whole new issue in the future when you have an old CRT display and want to use it but the only speakers you can find are non-shielded? In fact it is one of the reasons I don't have a CRT in my game room now is because my Roland passives I use for my front channel speakers, are from the 90s and not magnetically shielded.

Guess everyone needs to start stocking up on mag shielded speakers?! 

I also own a degaussing coil for use with my arcade cabs because just how they are sitting and aligned can cause natural magnetic distortion on their screens. Cocktail cabinet versions are some of the worst about this.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections