Comfort Games, the ones you keep going back to.

Saw this new video discussing games they keep returning to. 

😎🤷‍♂️I totally get Link to the Past. Otherwise my "comfort" games I am sure nobody else would pick, SIDE POCKET for NES/Snes/Genesis & Mr. Do! on ColecoVision.

What are some games that grabbed you from the start and you find yourself returning to over and over? 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

My current comfort game of 14 years is Halo Reach. It was released back in 2010, and I've been playing this Xbox 360 game ever since. What I've been playing is the game in Fire Fight mode. It's simply waves upon waves on enemies and you try to stay alive as long as you can. It's a combination of action with enough tactics and strategy to keep me engaged. Typical session for me last 20-40 minutes which is perfect. I can jump in and out easily.

I've been playing it almost daily for 14 years. I tried going cold turkey and quit playing it for a few months last year. I even uninstalled it to get myself to play something else (Vampire Survivor anyone?). However, I returned later in the year and bought the Master Chief Collection for my Xbox One X. The MCC version of the game loads way faster than the native 360 version with backward compatibility and 360 disc check on my Xbox One X.

Back in the day during the 80s, my comfort game was Dr. J and Larry Bird One on One with some Archon, Seven Cities of Gold, Blue Max, and Necromancer thrown in.

Metroid II. Maybe my favorite game ever made. It's perfect. I play through it every Christmas and it's just one of those games that gets me every time.

Super Mario Land as well. I've probably beaten that a hundred times. Can't forget Luigi's Mansion or Animal Crossing: New Leaf either.

Hmm... there are quite a few for me that fit this category. I would say Streets of Rage II and Gunstar heroes on the Genesis are games I always seem to fire up to play often.

On PC it would be Doom and the variants of it along with Wing Commander and Darwinia.

For Atari that is trickier... as that is all over the place for me. But at least on the 5200 I can say The Last Starfighter, Rescue on Fractalus for sure.

For the Intellivision it is Thunder Castle and Diner. (Although I do play my rom of Mystic Castle most these days)

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

12 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

+1 for Mystic Castle. I have a box and set of overlays for it too.

I got in too late to get that but I would have for sure! I was only able to guy the ROM for it from Mr. Moeller directly about 2 years back.

There is quite a lot on the Intellivision side of the scene that I don't have or found out about much too late to get physical versions of the games.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections