Atari re-releasing 7800 carts

RickR

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Boxes are included, as with the Plaion re-release of Berzerk and release of Mr. Run & Jump. They are also including instructions this time! Here's a sample from "Ben at Plaion."image.thumb.png.be75136a49c924129445a6058d5ecdad.png

I appreciate that they’re standardizing the CX78 Control Pad. It always should’ve been that way. 

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Btw, on one of the AA threads, they mentioned that manuals will be available for Berzerk Enhanced and Mr. Run and Jump. 

Oh, that's cool!  Will they just send them to those of us who bought the games?  I have to wonder.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

8 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Still working so I haven't had a chance to try these out, but they look great!

20240627_134133~2.jpg

They look like great reproductions. 😄 The ESRB rating just looks so out of place though. Only thing that is weird to me, but understandable why it has to be there. 😛

Edited by Jinroh

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

11 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

They look like great reproductions. 😄 The ESRB rating just looks so out of place though. Only thing that is weird to me, but understandable why it has to be there. 😛

They also have QR codes on the back, full color labels, and full color manuals. So a lot of changes from the Atari Corps days. For $29, they are a steal. I already have all three OG carts CIB but wanted to pick up these for kicks.

5 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

They also have QR codes on the back, full color labels, and full color manuals. So a lot of changes from the Atari Corps days. For $29, they are a steal. I already have all three OG carts CIB but wanted to pick up these for kicks.

Very cool. I am glad you are enjoying them. Definitely would like to pick up the GamePad.

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

15 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

I couldn't resist a quick side-by-side:

Front box:

20240627_143637.jpg

Back box:

20240627_143537~2.jpg

Manual:

20240627_143943.jpg

Carts:

20240627_143841.jpg

Also, PLAION kept the slipcase from Berzerk/Mr. Run &Jump.

20240627_143812.jpg

The only area I would give the OG release an edge is the back box cover.

Thanks for the side by side!  Very useful. I think having affordable versions of Ninja Golf and Fatal Run is great but from what I see... I doubt it will replace the originals for hardcore collectors.  

Has the next wave been announced?  My dream second wave would be Planet Smashers Enhanced with improved audio, Motor Psycho, and Asteroids.  Why asteroids?  Because it's my favorite that's why!

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

@Sabertooth What about the new cartridge itself? Did they retain those stupid holes on the top? They are the holes that match up with the dust pegs as the molding pushed that part of the plastic through to be part of the shell in the originals and I've always disliked those holes? 

Also how it the quality of the PCB edges? It is beveled? Just curious on not just if the games work or not, but how well they are built as compared to the originals since the originals, while being built to a cost back in the day, are still with us 40 years later.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

3 hours ago, 7800 Pro Gamer said:

Thanks for the side by side!  Very useful. I think having affordable versions of Ninja Golf and Fatal Run is great but from what I see... I doubt it will replace the originals for hardcore collectors.  

Has the next wave been announced?  My dream second wave would be Planet Smashers Enhanced with improved audio, Motor Psycho, and Asteroids.  Why asteroids?  Because it's my favorite that's why!

Next wave should be announced in August, per Ben from Plaion. I'm hoping for Planet Smashers, Alien Brigade and Mean 18 - which may have been in the Accolade sale.

I'll add that this isn't for "hard-core collectors." Just like vinyl, a re-issue is only a re-issue, no matter how nicely done.

Edited by Sabertooth