Vs. Cartoon Intros

Sabertooth

Welcome to Vs. Cartoon Intros, the thread where your favorite cartoons of yesteryear battle it out for the title of MOST WIZARD INTRO EVER! I am your self-appointed host, LBC.

Up first, we have two epic and eerily similar intros from those masters of animation Rankin & Bass: Thundercats vs. Silverhawks.

Its up to you atari.io forum members to determine which of these amazing intros makes it to the next round! Register your vote in the comments below by Saturday, January 14 by 11:59pm PST. The score will be tabulated on Sunday, with the next round to be announced the following Monday night.

And now, without further adieu, ROUND ONE: FIGHT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGNqrAtsgg

Vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLS6W-4GfMQ

Edited by atarilbc

I honestly have no memory of either franchise as a child. Maybe none of my local stations picked it from syndication.

I loved the original Thundercats, didn't really care for the reboot.   I don't know if I could recommend going out of your way to watch it.   I don't know how well it stands up today, to be honest.

I have a few favorites I hope make it on the list, but I may be a bit older than your average Atari.IO user!

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Great responses so far. Keep 'em coming. I'm surprised that Silverhawks isn't getting a little more love. I guess that Thundercats is just so iconic. It's a bit like pitting the Go Bots against Transformers. :)

Originally, I was going to use a forced ranking system for the match-ups, where the winner of the previous week gets a new challenger. Now I'm thinking that a pyramidal tournament scheme might work better and keep things fresh with new match-ups the first ten weeks, a fight between winners in weeks 11-15, and so forth. What do you guys & gals think?

Edited by atarilbc

Thundercats

But Silverhawks I will give credit for using more lyrics and a rocking guitar solo in the middle played by one of characters.

BTW - I watched the entire series a few years ago and, imho, the original Thundercats has not held up well. There are some good episodes, especially the first set of eps and the one where Lion-O had to earn the right to be leader by facing the others. However, most of them just follow the same formula over and over (a lot of 80's cartoons are guilty of that)

I actually really enjoyed the new series and was sad to see it go. However, you basically have to watch them in order as they build off one another.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Good morning, atari.io and welcome to another episode of Vs. Cartoon Intros.  I am your self-appointed host, LBC.  Match 2 is upon us and what a match it is!   

In this corner, hailing from planet Arus and weighing in at a heck of a lot is Voltron: Defender of the Universe. And in this corner, hailing from our own planet Earth and weighing considerably less, ROBOTECH: The Macross Saga.  This is truly a robotic battle of galactic proportions!

The winner of the match up will go on to battle Thundercats in the second round of matches on a quest to become the MOST WIZARD INTRO EVER.

Once again, it's up to you atari.io forum members to determine which of these amazing intros makes it to the next round! Register your vote in the comments below by Saturday, January 21 by 11:59pm PST. The score will be tabulated on Sunday, with the next round to be announced the following Monday.

And now, without further adieu, ROUND TWO: FIGHT!

ROBOTECH

vs.

VOLTRON

You should totally make it a poll.

Both of these have some pretty choppy animation.  Aren't they supposed to spend more on the intro?  Since you see it before every single episode?

I vote "Robotech".  Voltron loses by default for that ridiculous part where they show a still of the team members, yet it still swipes in a picture of each -- one at a time.  :)

I really like the Voltron theme and hearing Peter "Optimus Prime" Cullen's voice in the intro, but I have to vote Robotech. 

It's the earliest example I know of of a cartoon having a more epic and something that seemed to target adults as well as kids.

FYI- I think separate threads with polls and videos within the thread would work well.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I really like the Voltron theme and hearing Peter "Optimus Prime" Cullen's voice in the intro, but I have to vote Robotech. 

It's the earliest example I know of of a cartoon having a more epic and something that seemed to target adults as well as kids.

FYI- I think separate threads with polls and videos within the thread would work well.

That's really the appeal of ROBOTECH.  Rewatching it on Netflix has been a lot of fun.  There is so much stuff that was completely over my head in 1985. Still, you gotta love the Peter Cullen voice over in the Voltron intro.