awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Hogan's Alley
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: LIGHT GUN, PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game A

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST March 31st, 2018

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 23rd through March 31st, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game A. This is the default setting for Hogan's Alley.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

Note on Score Eligibility Date: For this Squad Challenge we are making a special exception and accepting scores achieved as early as February 23rd, 2018. There are two reasons for this. One, our previous Squad Challenge, the 2018 Winter Olympics Special, was on a different schedule and ended earlier than typical Squad Challenges. Two, and most notably, this Squad Challenge was inspired by the enthusiasm behind Maximum RD's Hogan's Alley post and we believe it best to accept scores achieved from February 23rd (the date of the post) onward, as many are already playing and we want to include those scores. If you have been playing Hogan's Alley this week because of Maximum RD's post and have a documented score, you are welcome to submit it.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Welcome to our 37th Squad Challenge! Hogan's Alley is one of the earlier games for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and one of the few games prominently marketed for use with the Zapper! Hogan's Alley is hands-down one of my all-time favorite NES titles. Even when it was new, before I had an NES, I can very clearly remember looking at Hogan's Alley in the Sears Catalog and seeing the line up of those guys... and knowing that you didn't have to use a joystick, that you could actually shoot at them through the TV set with a light gun was just thrilling. Hogan's Alley was one of the things that started to lure me away from Atari in the earlier days of the NES. The simplicity and "shoot from the hip" appeal of Hogan's Alley leads to some very fun gameplay and can become quite addicting once you get into it! Hogan's Alley is a fast action, quick response game compared to our last Squad Challenge game Winter Games. Hogan's Alley also has that “early Nintendo feel” to the game. Enjoy!

Hogan's Alley.nesHogans_Alley.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Umm...emulating a light gun game?  This ought to be interesting since NES light gun games don't work on modern LCD TV's and most computers these days have LCD screens.  Also, is there a set distance we need to be away from the TV?  Just asking ;)

No idea, kaz. Original hardware is a good way to go. Good luck!

Theoretically, the zapper games should work using emulation on a hacked Wii. I think the wii-mote is a fair copy of using a zapper. I'll try it out as soon as I get some time.

I think it shows crosshairs though. Wouldn't that make it easier?

:pow_big:

JUST FOR FUN:

HEY GUYS, IF YOU WANT TO SHARE YOUR HIGH SCORES

FOR GAME B AND GAME C, GO AHEAD! THIS SQUAD CHALLENGE

IS FOR GAME A, BUT IT MIGHT BE FUN TO SPICE THINGS UP WITH

GAME B AND GAME C. WE'LL ANNOUNCE WINNERS FOR ALL THREE!

PLEASE SPECIFY GAME A, B, OR C WHEN POSTING SCORES.

42,000 - not bad for first time trying this title!

post-52-0-76629100-1520754109_thumb.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Well, the zapper games do indeed work on the NES emulator for Wii!  And yes, they do have a crosshairs.  But, it is really hard to get the hang of it.  There's kind of a lag in moving the crosshairs around. 

The good news is that I also got the SNES emulator working while I was in there goofing off, and that's awesome too.

Anyways, here's my first try.  23.000.  As soon as you have to shoot two criminals, the slow crosshairs become a huge detriment.

post-41-0-76643700-1521428925_thumb.jpg

Well, the zapper games do indeed work on the NES emulator for Wii!  And yes, they do have a crosshairs.  But, it is really hard to get the hang of it.  There's kind of a lag in moving the crosshairs around. 

The good news is that I also got the SNES emulator working while I was in there goofing off, and that's awesome too.

Anyways, here's my first try.  23.000.  As soon as you have to shoot two criminals, the slow crosshairs become a huge detriment.

Great to have you in the game, Rick! 23,000 is a good start. Keep it going!  :thumb:  :wreck-it-ralph:

I've been really having a lot of fun playing Trick Shot! (Game C) Those cans are a lot harder to hit than the goons in the other games, and it's really satisfying to get a bunch of cans to land on the bottom level and rack up all those points. I forgot how much I liked this game and light gun games in general until we got this started. 

Glad that I logged on to see this. Sad that my AVS wont work with a light gun. :(

Light gun games are actually one of my favorite genres. I particularly liked the light gun games on Saturn and PSX. Elemental Gearbolt, Virtual Cop 1&2 and House of the Dead were amazing. I'm thinking that Farpoint is my next buy for PS4/VR.

Glad that I logged on to see this. Sad that my AVS wont work with a light gun. :(

Light gun games are actually one of my favorite genres. I particularly liked the light gun games on Saturn and PSX. Elemental Gearbolt, Virtual Cop 1&2 and House of the Dead were amazing. I'm thinking that Farpoint is my next buy for PS4/VR.

Right on LBC! Great to have you here! If there's any way you can get in on this, go for it! We'd love to have you in the game. I knew going into this that the whole light gun thing would be an issue and might prevent a few gamers from gaming, but Hogan's Alley is so good we had to go for it.  :wreck-it-ralph:

Best wishes!

Emulation works too.  Let me know if I can help you set up or configure anything.  I'm using a Wii and having a blast.