Games You Wished Were Released on the 2600.

nosweargamer

So are there any games you wanted to see come out when the 2600 was in production?

I think it would have been cool to see a game based on Voltron, Thundercats or Transformers.

Of course I also would have been cool with Pitfall 3 or Adventure 2 (don't dare call the Swordquest series real sequels) or even a Haunted House follow up.

Arcade wise, I think Qix could've been ported well.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I would have been all over Adventure 2.   More fantasy stuff would have been great.  Crypts of Chaos and Dragonstomper show that they could do some basic RPG elements with the Atari.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I would've loved to see Atari produce more adventure, multi-screen games for their mothership console.

To this day, the idea of adaptating movies and shows to the 2600 landscape enthralls me, much more than anything done for modern consoles.

So yeah, I would've loved to have seen more Bond flicks, horror and action titles be adapted in a simple yet fun way for the VCS.

I still dream of a 2600 Dawn of the Dead cart.

I would've loved to see Atari produce more adventure, multi-screen games for their mothership console.

To this day, the idea of adaptating movies and shows to the 2600 landscape enthralls me, much more than anything done for modern consoles.

So yeah, I would've loved to have seen more Bond flicks, horror and action titles be adapted in a simple yet fun way for the VCS.

I still dream of a 2600 Dawn of the Dead cart.

Next time you play Berzerk, pretend they are zombies. ;)

CBS did some decent games based on movies.  Heck I'd argue that Megaforce for the 2600 was better than the movie.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Next time you play Berzerk, pretend they are zombies. ;)

CBS did some decent games based on movies.  Heck I'd argue that Megaforce for the 2600 was better than the movie.

Ooh yeah! You nailed it with Berserk as a DotD experience!

It has the aesthetic you'd expect (walled enclosures for shops, slow moving enemies, gunplay).

Maybe with a bit of modding and mayhaps a moody filler track...

Also - Indeed, CBS (and Parker Brothers) had some great movie adaptations for us nascent VG fans.

Have to agree on Megaforce.

PB had a Bond title. Though that one was just too ambitious and ambiguous as a concept to fully embrace the material.

Of course, as with all 2600 titles, I'm easy to please.

Tron!!! Why is there no decent home version of this game???

While not a port of the arcade experience, I quite liked Tron Deadly Disc for this system.

It brought home the feel of the movie quite well.

Also worked well on its original console.

Not a fan of Maze, though (for Int.).

Binary nightmares on that one.

In a way, most of the Atari gameplay had a Tron vibe to it.

Combat's tank battles were quite similar to the close-quarters game of arcade Tron.

eh...Super Breakout for the cone escape thing?

Surround for cycle races...and...

Spider trap escape game...spiders...spiders...

Ick!

Anyway, sure there's something for it.

Just wanna stop thinking spiders that are not friendly neighbourhood critters.

But yeah, imma big, big fan of Tron.

Sidetrack note - if you wanna get the Tron Blu-Ray, know that they removed the flickering effect from it.

Cleaned it up.

Get the 20th anniversary disc for the real deal.

End of line

even though there was prototype of tempest out. I would like to see decent version for the 2600
the proto lacks the feel of game(the rom was realesed of it, played it didn't care much for it)
laserman'88 is my  attemept at a tempest like game. I'm planning to go back and retool the game
(the ti version I did was also for the reason there was no tempest on ti-99/4a and I felt it needed one)

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

I have Sinistar on cart and it's pretty good. I'm guessing the ROM is out there...

There are ROMs for both! Sinstar is finished but Rally-X has been attempted by 3 homebrewers, the last one out is actually playable. These are the 2 titles I'm actually going to get printed on a cart.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

While not a port of the arcade experience, I quite liked Tron Deadly Disc for this system.

It brought home the feel of the movie quite well.

Also worked well on its original console.

Not a fan of Maze, though (for Int.).

Binary nightmares on that one.

In a way, most of the Atari gameplay had a Tron vibe to it.

Combat's tank battles were quite similar to the close-quarters game of arcade Tron.

eh...Super Breakout for the cone escape thing?

Surround for cycle races...and...

Spider trap escape game...spiders...spiders...

Ick!

Anyway, sure there's something for it.

Just wanna stop thinking spiders that are not friendly neighbourhood critters.

But yeah, imma big, big fan of Tron.

Sidetrack note - if you wanna get the Tron Blu-Ray, know that they removed the flickering effect from it.

Cleaned it up.

Get the 20th anniversary disc for the real deal.

End of line

TRON is my favorite movie of all time.  I actually have an identity disc signed by Tron and Yori.

M-Network made a couple of TRON games for the 2600 didn't they?

I was a huge fan of the INTV titles. 

TRON brought to life the feeling of immersion we felt as nascent gamers in a new world of VG possibilities.

That movie grew on me through the years, kept the retro gamer vibes alive whener rewatching it, and I'm very grateful for that.

Adventures of Tron for the 2600 was pretty cool. Played it a bit but never owned.

Tron Deadly Discs was the closest thing to being on the grid, in those days.

All ports of this one works tremendously well in that vein.

I have a few Intellivisions lying around. Have TDD, dunno if I have Maze, wish I had the voice peripheral and Solar Sailor.

I'll get back into acquisitions once I'm settled on where to put my gear.

Then I'll be rezzing back onto the grid, like any true conscript would.

To answer the OPs question: I wish Atari released a high quality Pac-Man port and not that God awful garbage that they wound up releasing instead.

If Pac-Man Arcade was released in 1981 it would've been a huge hit. Funny thing is it probably would have sold the same as that crappie Pac-Man.

⚠️ THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/475-theretrocade/?p=7683

TRON brought to life the feeling of immersion we felt as nascent gamers in a new world of VG possibilities.

That movie grew on me through the years, kept the retro gamer vibes alive whener rewatching it, and I'm very grateful for that.

Adventures of Tron for the 2600 was pretty cool. Played it a bit but never owned.

Tron Deadly Discs was the closest thing to being on the grid, in those days.

All ports of this one works tremendously well in that vein.

I have a few Intellivisions lying around. Have TDD, dunno if I have Maze, wish I had the voice peripheral and Solar Sailor.

I'll get back into acquisitions once I'm settled on where to put my gear.

Then I'll be rezzing back onto the grid, like any true conscript would.

Not sure if you are a PC gamer at all, but TRON 2.0 is on Steam, cheap, and AMAZING.

As far as games go that were released on other platforms, two games that come to mind are Choplifter and Dino Eggs (which was exclusive to computers at the time). However, as it stands, I'm surprised at many of the conversions that were actually done. I wouldn't have thought Star Wars: The Arcade Game or Montezuma's Revenge would have been possible.

I picked up Tron 2.0 at a thrift store last year. Still need to get around to playing it! Hope it works OK with Windows 8.

What do you guys think about something way left field, Curling! Just hack a bowling cart and add scrubbers using paddle controllers.

Also a five nights at Freddy's using the touchpad that came with star raiders.

I love watching Curling during the Winter Olympics!

I don't know why homebrewers will not write games that involve the other Atari controllers (touchpad, booster grip, keyboard controller, etc.). If they could do it back then, its more than possible today!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Archived