The 2020 Retro Game/Junk Box

RickR

3 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Oh, these tend to be full to the brim!  Best part is when you take stuff out and then you have to figure out how to put it all back inside!  LOL

The key is to add a single drop of anti-matter into the box before re-filling it. You can fit so much more when you do. Just be careful! One member couldn't find their medicine dropper and tried to eyeball it instead. That box was never seen again.........

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

On 10/9/2020 at 10:58 AM, RickR said:

It is NOT too late and you are welcome and in.  I'm glad you joined!

Note for all:  I plan on starting the box probably 1 week from today.  I'm waiting for a few extra items to arrive. 

Very cool. Thanks so much.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

On 10/7/2020 at 12:08 PM, RickR said:

For now, if you guys have any "wants", please post them here.  Even it's just a particular system you're most interested in.  Example:  RickR is most interested in NES, SMS, and handhelds.   Also post here or PM me if you have a desire to go at a certain spot based on dates of vacation or what-not. 

Although I have a wish list posted, and I'm pretty flexible, what I'm most interested to see in the box is:

• Atari 8-bit games (Especially 3rd party, XE labeled or less common Atari games)
  • Unopened packs of retro cards, especially non-sport cards
  • LCD games & other Retro Handheld Games
  • NES games
  • Sega Master System Games
  • Lynx Games
  • Retro Toys
  • 80's & 90's Gaming Magazines
  • 80's & 90's Wrestling Magazines
  • A sealed America Online CD 😁

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

1 minute ago, RickR said:

Guys, my apologies but the Junk Box will not go out today.  I'm still waiting for an ebay delivery.  That "ships same/next day" seller was a liar!  :) 

Sometime next week. 

I kind of hate eBay. Two reasons:

1. Getting ripped off and people not sending their crap
  2. Stupid auction bots that always bid higher at literally the last second.

As a matter of fact, I was totally opposed to buying things off of the internet until I discovered this place. Plus, this way is much more personal and meaningful. If I got Food Fight from eBay, I would think "Yay, Food Fight". But since I got it from someone here that I knew and talked to before and afterwards it means much more to me personally to buy it from here. Sure, you can communicate with eBay sellers, but you're not going to stay in touch afterwards.

You are right, especially about the personal touch.  However, I've found eBay to be fine as long as you can just chill and relax.  Example:  I could be a jerk and rightfully complain about the same day shipping thing.  But in the end, they did ship, and it will work out fine.  If there is ever a problem, ebay takes care of it.  As with life in general, don't take it personally, try to enjoy the ride.  In the end, things work out as they should. 

36 minutes ago, Atari Creep said:

Im last in line, a few days more is not going to make a difference. LOL 

I don't think "the line" actually formed yet , we're all just milling about  .... I think I still need to shoot you a text or a call or something. Some Pinball kinda happening in Everette Ma.  Covid restrictions there makes it less fun but glad stuff is happening anyways.

How far you from Dover NH ?

12 minutes ago, chas10e said:

I don't think "the line" actually formed yet , we're all just milling about  .... I think I still need to shoot you a text or a call or something. Some Pinball kinda happening in Everette Ma.  Covid restrictions there makes it less fun but glad stuff is happening anyways.

How far you from Dover NH ?

About an hour away from Dover and 10 min away from Everett. Even if we just have coffee or something before your deal, hit me up.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

OK, everyone...the Junk Box is READY!  Here is the order I've chosen.  Please let me know if anyone wants any changes.  I basically went to the lower right of the USA, up the seaboard, then back west.  Also let me know if I forgot anyone, or anyone else wants in.

1. @TrekMD - FL
  2. @nosweargamer - TN
  3. @Atari Creep - MA
  4. @chas10e - ME
  5. @socrates63 - WA
  6. @RickR - OR

Mr. TrekMD, if you could kindly PM me your address.

Thank you.

@RickR awesome! How long do these things normally take, round-trip? And when it's all done will everyone be posting what they took out/put in here?

I hope to participate if you all do another one of these next year. For now, though, I just can't pay for shipping on such a big item AND get stuff to put in it. Hopefully by next time this thing happens, the pandemic will have at least died down enough for me to get a job.

On an unrelated note, I have recently made a small map of the continental United States. I traced it on wax paper out of a dictionary and put that over some printer paper so you can't see through it. Since I don't have enough wall space to hang it up, I attached the tiny map to a tiny cardboard box. I have stuck push pins in every place where I got a game with a few exceptions. Wisconsin on the map is too tiny to place all the pins I need in it! It's pretty cool that I got these games from all these places in the USA via the internet that I've never been to personally.

I haven't ever calculated the full time.  I'd guess about a week per person with an extra week thrown in as a fudge factor.  You, of course, are always welcome when you feel comfortable joining. 

I took pictures of everything I put in, which I will post once the box makes it back to me.  Each participant will post pics of the stuff they took out when they receive the box.  They then refill the box and send it off to the next victim.

Have fun everyone!  That's what this is all about. 

Oh, and I meant to label one item as I'm not sure if people will know it's purpose.  But I forgot.  It's a bottle opener. 

Just clarify, participants should also take pictures of what they put in, but wait to post them until the box gets back to Rick.

One box I did had its own website with a map where you could follow the progress of the box, using usps tracking iirc, and click on destinations to see pics of the stuff taken. It was really cool. My guess is someone really smart had some extra time on their hands, lol.

18 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Just clarify, participants should also take pictures of what they put in, but wait to post them until the box gets back to Rick.

One box I did had its own website with a map where you could follow the progress of the box, using usps tracking iirc, and click on destinations to see pics of the stuff taken. It was really cool. My guess is someone really smart had some extra time on their hands, lol.

Thanks.  That's right.  Take pics of the stuff you put in too, but don't post them until the end.

I remember one box where we tried to make it travel as far as possible.  It criss-crossed the USA several times!