The 2020 Retro Game/Junk Box

RickR

12 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

If you ever visit Pink Gorilla, be sure to wear the beanie for a 20% discount on used games on Fridays. I believe the discount is 10% on all other days. My PG t-shirt has paid for itself a few times over.

I did not know this!  I'll get one next time I go to PG. 

The Junk Box has returned to the mother ship.  Hooey, it's heavy too.  I was huffin' and puffin' by the time I got back home from our parcel locker.  Let's have a look at it, shall we?  It's so cool how you guys supplemented the decorations so tastefully.  The box is definitely worn, but intact.

junk box 001.JPG

junk box 002.JPG

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

Sorry the loose 2600 cartridges weren't in better shape, Harry. I gave your list of 2600 games to a local gamer, and this is what he came back with. Price was very good though. You can upgrade to better condition ones later and trade or give these away later 🙂

Oh, I’m actually a big fan of beat-up games. I sometimes purposely go out of my way to get the ugly ones, even if there’s no price reduction. You should take a look at my copies of Moon Patrol or Defender.

You should make a wanted list yourself, @socrates63. Who knows, maybe I’ll find one of the items in my travels and could send it your way.

About the below quote (can’t delete and reposition it on my phone):

My dad got a kick out of some of those old trading cards. His quote of the day is as follows:

”[Daryl Strawberry] was almost as good at baseball as he was at doing cocaine.”

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

I'm glad to have passed on some goodies from the junk box. My eyes are too old for tiny screens and handhelds 🤣 so that Coleco went to you. Since you and I have yet to win a NSG card pack drawing, well, we now have our own 🙃

This is absolutely nuts.   I've been part of many junk boxes before, but this one is full of some WILD stuff and I am so delighted. 

This may take a few posts to get through, so bear with me. 

First thing I want to post is the crap I put in that made it all the way back to me.  It's not a large pile, which is good.  But I'm shocked nobody wanted Pilotwings!  It's such a great game.  It's going back into my Super Nintendo collection (unless someone wants it.  PM me!)  In fact, if you see anything here you really wanted but didn't want to be greedy...PM me.  I'm easy.

junk box 003.JPG

Edited by RickR

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't mean to pick favorites.  There is some fantabulous stuff in this box.  But I'm going to be honest.  These items right here are absolutely amazing to me.  They may be worthless -- I have no idea.  But not to me.  Can you guess what they are?

876736546_junkbox009.JPG.385f6d156d72835a15a2a1184e23e2eb.JPG

If you said "pinballs", you would be correct.  Yes, I'm a weirdo. 

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't mean to pick favorites.  There is some fantabulous stuff in this box.  But I'm going to be honest.  These items right here are absolutely amazing to me.  They may be worthless -- I have no idea.  But not to me.  Can you guess what they are?

876736546_junkbox009.JPG.385f6d156d72835a15a2a1184e23e2eb.JPG

If you said "pinballs", you would be correct.  Yes, I'm a weirdo. 

Yep thems iz pinballs, they have quite a few plays on them 1,147 roughly , I am the guilty one that placed them in there if you hadn't guessed already, now you ust need a whole machine to go with it 😉

25 minutes ago, RickR said:

@HDN, is this a good DS for hacking?

It will work, but you will need a Flashcard for that one. I forget what the one is called that goes in Slot 1. But if you got one, it should be just as compatible (if not more so as you can use DLDI drivers on flash cards) as mine is.

I used a DSi, which has a built-in SD slot. That way I wouldn’t have to spend any money on it.

I will have to see what the card is called. I will get back to you on that. But the short answer is yes, it’s good for hacking, though you’ll need to spend a bit more money on it than if you hacked a Wii or DSi or the like. You need more than just an SD, but not much. You will have fun with it and I can help you out.

I thought the Star Trek magazine was for you @RickR because you're a Trekkie (my assumption based on your profile cover image)! I didn't think that you put it there.

One item I particularly struggled with was the modded Wii as I've always wanted one (I have a Wii) and the bowling bag. I love Wii Sports and the bag was perfect! Alas, I don't have space for it.

Notes on some of the stuff I put in and photos below:

• The iam8bit sticker went on the outside of the box.
  • Pointmaster joystick was part of the lot where I picked up the heavy sixer a couple of months ago.
  • Stuff that did not make it in the box: the ET lego (shown below), a larger set of LotR figures, an Atari 8-bit CIB game, a plushy, and some other stuff.
  • The Alan Wake game with the MS employee store sticker -- that was purchased by me way back in the day, and 1845, that's my employee number on the sticker. I was going to buy another copy to send (since I recommended it to RickR in another thread ) but decided to put a more personal touch on it 🙂 Rick, feel free to sell or trade it -- I don't mean to imply anything. 

junkbox-whatIputIn5.JPG.bba538fe501d4b9fe8083c5f806fd1e6.JPG

junkbox-whatIputIn6.JPG.c0b6b677eb525ae2e54e7e3a4b8e0a75.JPG

junkbox-whatIputIn4.JPG.0bb7f856a80e7d3f7747ac57501f17ad.JPG

junkbox-whatIputIn3.JPG.8598ee14dcd97ad4f9a301423dbda80b.JPG

junkbox-whatIputIn2.JPG.6c8a7f1a2bdfe49ff83d1b61902745e8.JPG

junkbox-whatIputIn1.JPG.bcfe7981fd5c6db99906eea864129ab3.JPG

I decided to make my own end label for the copy of Adventure (or “dventure” according to the damaged front label) that @socrates63 sent me. For this, since I couldn’t find my labeler (haven’t seen it in years, but I don’t know where it could have gone), the best I could do was a sharpie and some masking tape. I decided to make the most of my lack of proper labeling materials and create something a bit more special and personalized.

3CE38B11-F8FA-43A1-B806-D61B91D22A48.jpeg.314037c58b2a5acd51bacc55823dc912.jpeg

And, I like it! I added a few drawings of some of the items and characters as well as the name of the game (with Odyssey 2-inspired exclamation point), name of the system (I debated between VCS and 2600 but ultimately chose the latter), and the Atari Fuji symbol. This label didn’t take me long to make, and aside from the fact that it is drawn on masking tape I think it turned out well and looks nice.

Here’s my custom HDN label next to a genuine, limited edition copy of Galaxian with a special @RickR end label.

F0233C23-B189-4B95-8B2B-2C3F60BB0FFD.jpeg.729f938a6366ee3ebe1cfbf4615eed8d.jpeg

Here’s what the front label looks like on Dventure. Did you know that Dventure is a jame program that you e with joystick controllers? I didn’t, but according the the label that’s what it is. Unfortunately, the label doesn’t tell me what a jame program (trademark) is, or what is is to “e” something.

82F2416C-B976-45C1-BD62-41B9A606D0BD.jpeg.0b9230b5c8e03d4ae3e59f39ef16364d.jpeg

Overall, I like my new label for Adventure. I think I am going to start buying more games without end labels in the future. They typically run cheaper than the others at my local store by a couple of bucks. I enjoyed doodling on the Adventure label as well. It isn’t terribly professional looking, like Rick’s labels are, but I think it adds a touch of personalization to my collection.

17 hours ago, RickR said:

Candy, little figures, and #16, #17 NSG card packs. 

junk box 005.JPG

MUSCLES figures! I was a big fan of those as a kid. I rember the 10 packs coming in plastic trash cans, lol.

17 hours ago, RickR said:

And now, the items that blew my mind.  There is junk (with small letters) and then there is JUNK.  GOOD JUNK. 

So wild.  It's a Wii Sports BOWLING BAG!  WTF!  I love this so much.  And inside, a "hacked" and wrapped Wii.  Are you kidding me? 

junk box 018.JPG

junk box 019.JPG

That is cool! That bowling bag looks like it has an Atari Fuji symbol too. @chas10e, do you know the origins of the bag? Is it a custom deal or some sort of promo item?

FYI I will post a video of what I put in a little later.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

4 hours ago, HDN said:

Overall, I like my new label for Adventure.

Me, too 🙂 The drawings are a very nice touch 👍 🎨 and really make it uniquely yours. I, on the other hand, am not very good about customizing things. Heck, I often don't even customize Windows or MacOS outside of maybe changing the default wallpaper.

@Atari Creep the box giveth and taketh away 🤣🤣

Yes, I was very happy to have the MK cartridge. I also had to think long and hard about that Wii. You packed in a lot of awesome stuff!

Edited by socrates63