The 2020 Retro Game/Junk Box

RickR

On 10/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, RickR said:

How to make a good strong junk box. Step 1 is to glue down the bottom flaps. Just tape wont cut it. 

20201008_162357.jpg

Sent the box out this morning and it is still in great shape your diligence is Paying off @RickR

1 hour ago, Atari Creep said:

Was good to hang out @chas10e we will have to do it again!!!!

Man that box STILL looks jam packed with goodness even after all that. 

Yeah that was fun ! Combat , Air-Sea Battle, Suuround, co-op Space Invaders

IMG_2148.JPG.fc75f0f3d2dd5635e62832154d955616.JPG

The junk box arrived yesterday from @chas10e. It is heavy and bulging! Good thing it's a flat rate box. I can't believe some of the stuff that's in it. It's going to be tricky to figure out how to make room to fit in my stuff. @RickR I plan to send it your way tomorrow.

And @HDN your box will go out tomorrow when I ship this one back to Rick. Thanks for waiting and sorry for keeping you waiting, but I wanted you to wait as long as I did 😄 That was part of my reasoning for not shipping it to you sooner.

DSC07352.JPG.fea85d96ed716e3cba44cd74ecc86f2d.JPG

3 hours ago, socrates63 said:

And @HDN your box will go out tomorrow when I ship this one back to Rick. Thanks for waiting and sorry for keeping you waiting, but I wanted you to wait as long as I did 😄 That was part of my reasoning for not shipping it to you sooner

Young, don't apologize! This is a very nice thing you're doing here. I don't mind the wait and never really did. I was only kidding when I said this unopened box here was torture! 

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Ok, here's what I took out. Even with what I took out, I still couldn't fit in a few things, so I'll save those for the next time. The box is leaving the house with a slightly bigger bulge than when it arrived -- kinda like mah belly after dinner

I've been reconnecting with some 80s movies lately, so it's good to have these DVDs. I now have NES and N64 cartridges in the collection 🙃 Maybe I'll get the consoles later 😋

junkbox-whatItookout.JPG.b0da2092b4d919c0c7cc4fa823ca598a.JPG

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

Ok, here's what I took out. Even with what I took out, I still couldn't fit in a few things, so I'll save those for the next time. The box is leaving the house with a slightly bigger bulge than when it arrived -- kinda like mah belly after dinner

I've been reconnecting with some 80s movies lately, so it's good to have these DVDs. I now have NES and N64 cartridges in the collection 🙃 Maybe I'll get the consoles later 😋

junkbox-whatItookout.JPG.b0da2092b4d919c0c7cc4fa823ca598a.JPG

Great Picks!

I've yet to see SMB: The Movie, but both The Wizard and Cloak & Dagger make for good popcorn flicks.

These junk boxes also have a way in helping people start new collections! I know I've gotten games before for system I wouldn't get until later.

Well, most of my stuff has been taken, except for a few things, so it'll be fun to see what Rick gets when the box returns to him!

Side note: I don't think anyone has ever said "I had more than enough room to fit in everything I wanted to put in!" 😂

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

17 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Side note: I don't think anyone has ever said "I had more than enough room to fit in everything I wanted to put in!" 😂

🤣 So true. I was very tempted to build a second box. I actually did fill a second box at one point but decided that would ruin the purpose of the exercise -- to cause mental anguish and decision-making.

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Really nice stuff.  Interestingly, there's stuff you took that I put in there hoping it would make it to you! 

What's the plastic-wrapped thingie front/left? 

Coleco Sports 10 in 1 Handheld

Amazon.com: Coleco Sports Handheld and Plug-N-Play TV Video Game - 10 in 1  Games: Toys & Games

I tend to wrap things with screens in plastic to avoid scratches while in the box.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

13 minutes ago, RickR said:

Really nice stuff.  Interestingly, there's stuff you took that I put in there hoping it would make it to you! 

What's the plastic-wrapped thingie front/left? 

😮 Hmmm... I'm going to have go over the stuff and try to guess what you put in there for me

There's a couple of videos by our resident YouTubers on that Coleco handheld:

NSG: https://youtu.be/-o4ym2Da7i4

Willie: https://youtu.be/UGCkQifpKoo

7 hours ago, socrates63 said:

😮 Hmmm... I'm going to have go over the stuff and try to guess what you put in there for me

There's a couple of videos by our resident YouTubers on that Coleco handheld:

NSG: https://youtu.be/-o4ym2Da7i4

Willie: https://youtu.be/UGCkQifpKoo

Actually, the handheld you got was the one I used for my video. So you got a piece of bonafide YouTube history right there, LOL. Sorry, I forgot to include a certificate of authenticity.🤣

10 hours ago, socrates63 said:

<SPOILER ALERT> -- Skip if you really do want to guess. 

Frankly, I tend to forget what I put in without reviewing the pictures I took...but I'm pretty sure you said you needed Genesis and SNES stuff (other members mentioned these systems too).  A lot of that stuff got taken earlier (which is great!), but I think at least a few titles made it through.   I try not to include sports games unless I think they are really good ones.  But I did include NBA Jam as I thought you'd have fun comparing to your favorite SNES version.  Madden for SNES is another one I put in, as I really do like that game a lot.  And I'm pretty sure I included a Great Golf in hopes that NSG would review it.  So please, don't throw sports equipment at me for the sports games -- there was method to my madness. 

Ha! Thanks for the spoiler alert @RickR. I stopped reading and went back to guess. I figured you'd have put some Genesis and SNES in the box 🙂 NBA Jam was the one specific game that made me think it may have come from you for me 👍 Thanks for Madden. Maybe I can learn to play it on these older consoles because the versions for the modern consoles are too hard for this old 🧠

4 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Maybe I can learn to play it on these older consoles because the versions for the modern consoles are too hard for this old 🧠

YES!  Me too.  This version is awesome because the games go quickly (like an Atari game) and the running game actually works.  Plus we can pick the Seahawks.  And the speech can be pretty funny. 

14 hours ago, socrates63 said:

🤣 So true. I was very tempted to build a second box. I actually did fill a second box at one point but decided that would ruin the purpose of the exercise -- to cause mental anguish and decision-making.

Great pic of some great picks ! I only had to repack the box once and that was for the photo-shoot of what I put in.  although I did have a practice box before @Atari Creep showed up. I did require for him to have the box sealed specifically for the "mental anguish" aspect of the exercise. we also had a great laugh on the phone about what you find on the floor AFTER you seal the box.

How many time did you pack & repack the box ?

What numbers are the @nosweargamer 's card packs ? I almost passed on the one I grabbed not being any kind of sports fan. but opened it up and had other great cards in there that I wasn't expecting. I did smell the cards & they didn't smell like the bubble-gum that was included. It's been quite awhile since I opened a pack of cards, is smelling the cards still "a thing"?

I'm looking forward to @RickR receiving it to see what gets thrown at him.

@chas10e I kept #14 and sent #15 to Harry. Chewing Bazooka Joe is a thing but smelling? Not sure about that one 🤔

I packed and unpacked three times. For the final pack up, my wife had to help me tape up the box because it was going to pop.

I love your typed note, by the way -- an actual typewriter 👍  👍 ❤️

junkbox-letter.JPG.63c144fe53a840cc173a3f07a2cafd13.JPG

I'm sure cards had more of a smell when sealed with an unwrapped piece of gum, but that has long been done away with and my included Bazooka Joe bubble gum is wrapped, so the smell doesn't get attached as easily to the cards.

And yes, while about half of the cards are typically 80's & 90's baseball and football cards, the other half are usually non sports cards from tv shows, movies, games and more. As a matter of fact, I think at least one of my recently made packs includes a temporary tattoo and one contains a sticker card, although I don't know which pack those are or if those packs made it in the box or not.

43 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

I'm sure cards had more of a smell when sealed with an unwrapped piece of gum, but that has long been done away with and my included Bazooka Joe bubble gum is wrapped, so the smell doesn't get attached as easily to the cards.

And yes, while about half of the cards are typically 80's & 90's baseball and football cards, the other half are usually non sports cards from tv shows, movies, games and more. As a matter of fact, I think at least one of my recently made packs includes a temporary tattoo and one contains a sticker card, although I don't know which pack those are or if those packs made it in the box or not.

I'm excited to get my own NSG card pack. Thanks for including enough packs for everyone @nosweargamer! I collected some sports cards in the early 80s. If I remember correctly, my most valuable card was Dave Winfield... it's amazing that I still remember something so useless for nearly 40 years. The 🧠 works in mysterious ways 🤔

WOW!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH @socrates63!!!

You really didn’t have to do this. Thank you so much! This is AMAZING!

AA3DCC8B-3BB4-415C-AB1F-15D45F5A496D.jpeg.70a412e3520ff17cbae51900548eecb5.jpeg

Young here has really helped my collection grow! These are all excellent titles! I am especially excited for Adventure (the one with the missing label), which I could never find for a reasonable price at my local store, and Flag Capture, which isn’t terribly expensive but I could never find it at the store.
I am also really excited to play Super Pac-Man! My first 7800 Homebrew. I really enjoy Super Pac-Man, and I am looking forward to seeing what they did with this version. 
And the handheld is very nice too! From watching @nosweargamer’s video a while back it doesn’t look too fun, but I’m glad to have it as a bit of a “movie prop”. The NSG card pack will be interesting to open, and the Creep pin is also really cool. It’s awesome to have these things from YouTubers that I watch regularly.

3AE0F006-5336-47DE-9DD4-125312687BB8.jpeg.5a2ff74ca353063ade43f54203b0095b.jpeg

Pink Gorilla! As a watcher of Metal Jesus, this is also kind of trippy for me to actually have! I’ve heard they’re a pretty good store. Good enough to make hats at least. This is good timing as I can’t seem to find my winter hat anywhere...

I didn’t know there was a Prince of Persia movie! This ornament will be proudly hung on my mini-tree in my room.

And lastly... the item that was in the mystery box! This thing has sat there for a month now, just begging to be opened. Turns out it was CIB Gravitar! Another game I wanted to get. This is my first red-labeled game.

Honestly, Young, I can’t thank you enough! Next year I will have to fully participate in the box now that I have a job. 
Thanks!

Sorry the loose 2600 cartridges weren't in better shape, Harry. I gave your list of 2600 games to a local gamer, and this is what he came back with. Price was very good though. You can upgrade to better condition ones later and trade or give these away later 🙂 

If you ever visit Pink Gorilla, be sure to wear the beanie for a 20% discount on used games on Fridays. I believe the discount is 10% on all other days. My PG t-shirt has paid for itself a few times over.

I'm glad to have passed on some goodies from the junk box. My eyes are too old for tiny screens and handhelds 🤣 so that Coleco went to you. Since you and I have yet to win a NSG card pack drawing, well, we now have our own 🙃

When I saw the PoP Christmas ornament, I thought about you and your tree, so I had to grab it. I haven't seen the movie either.