Hello from an Atari Fan in Texas

Rocker67

Hello everybody. I am new here, but not new to Atari. I grew up on Atari and wished the market had never collapsed or they might still be making consoles today. I started out when my dad bought a Super Pong unit, so that was my first console. Then on my birthday a few years later I got the 2600. Had many great memories playing with that system. I went away from Atari for a while when I discovered the Vic 20 and then the C64 so I missed out on the 7800 during that time. I also had given my 2600 to my brother and never saw it again. I later owned the Atari Lynx and played it for a while before I had to get rid of it for bills. Over the years, I have recollected my 2600 library two or three times, but now I finally have a great collection and have most of what I want, plus I got into the 7800 also. I have modded systems for both and thanks to the home brew scene, an even stronger love for these two systems.

Thanks for having me on the forums and I look forward to all the shared loved for our system here. I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Welcome, Rocker 🤘

I totally agree with you about homebrews. They really got me more excited about our beloved consoles.

One other thing that unexpectedly added to the excitement for me has been participating in high score challenges. Justin runs high score challenges here in the I/O on various platforms. There’s also the I/O high scoreboard where you can compare and compete on your own timetable.

16 hours ago, HDN said:

Welcome, @Rocker67! I hope you’ll stick around and enjoy your time here. Lots of friendly people.

I also think it’s pretty cool that you had a Pong unit. I have always wanted to try one.

It was. I will never forget about it. My dad was so afraid of image burn in on the tv that he would unhook it after every use and put it back  in the box. I asked a few years ago if they still had it, but they could not find it. Must have been a garage sale victim. 

16 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Welcome, Rocker 🤘

I totally agree with you about homebrews. They really got me more excited about our beloved consoles.

One other thing that unexpectedly added to the excitement for me has been participating in high score challenges. Justin runs high score challenges here in the I/O on various platforms. There’s also the I/O high scoreboard where you can compare and compete on your own timetable.

I will have to check on the scoreboards. Add some more excitement to the games that way. It will be like the arcades and trying to top that leaderboard.

15 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

Welcome @Rocker67!

:atari_2600:   :atari_7800:   :atari_lynx:

Love these. Although I had the Lynx Model 2, I love the look of the original. I now have three Lynx and a Retro Cart for it. I also have 3 Atari and 1 Sears 2600, and 2 7800. I never want to be without a system again. I need to see about getting on of my Lynx modded with a new screen.

12 hours ago, Rocker67 said:

Love these. Although I had the Lynx Model 2, I love the look of the original. I now have three Lynx and a Retro Cart for it. I also have 3 Atari and 1 Sears 2600, and 2 7800. I never want to be without a system again. I need to see about getting on of my Lynx modded with a new screen.

That's some serious Atari street cred right there 👍 😁  Are you going to do that McWill screen mod that I've heard about? 

On 3/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, Control Issues said:

Hey there from a fellow Texan!  (I also had a Pong unit... well... clone I think... back in the day, but it's loong gone.)  Hope you were okay during the big freeze!

Talking about the big freeze. We lost power for 30 hours straight just East of Dallas. The temperature before the power came back on just dipped below 40 degrees in the house. MY house was built in the 70's and we replaced the original windows a few years ago, so that helped. Also had hot food to eat thankfully, but it sure felt weird outside in the snow grilling hamburgers and other items, but it was worth it.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:41 PM, socrates63 said:

That's some serious Atari street cred right there 👍 😁  Are you going to do that McWill screen mod that I've heard about? 

I am thinking about the McWill screen. I did buy one Lynx cheap that has one bad pixel, so I do have one to use. Not sure if I want to send it off or try and do it myself. I am okay with a soldering iron, and have modded a 2600 and 7800, but when you get to surface mounted technology, it can be so much trickier.

9 minutes ago, Rocker67 said:

I am thinking about the McWill screen. I did buy one Lynx cheap that has one bad pixel, so I do have one to use. Not sure if I want to send it off or try and do it myself. I am okay with a soldering iron, and have modded a 2600 and 7800, but when you get to surface mounted technology, it can be so much trickier.

If you have the Lynx 2, BennVenn now offers a solderless LCD replacement. I've installed 2 of them now and it is very straightforward upgrade. But regardless of which LCD upgrade you go with, it is critical that the power stage components get refreshed and advise recapping the Lynx as well.

The McWill for the Lynx isn't that big a deal to install as I've done quite a few of them as well. There is more stuff to remove but the lynx systems are largely through hole components.

But the power stage stuff is SMD but it isn't too bad if you have a decent iron with a chisel tip and patience. I only recently got a hot air station to help with this, but was using my standard iron to remove the components pretty easily before.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, CrossBow said:

If you have the Lynx 2, BennVenn now offers a solderless LCD replacement. I've installed 2 of them now and it is very straightforward upgrade. But regardless of which LCD upgrade you go with, it is critical that the power stage components get refreshed and advise recapping the Lynx as well.

The McWill for the Lynx isn't that big a deal to install as I've done quite a few of them as well. There is more stuff to remove but the lynx systems are largely through hole components.

But the power stage stuff is SMD but it isn't too bad if you have a decent iron with a chisel tip and patience. I only recently got a hot air station to help with this, but was using my standard iron to remove the components pretty easily before.

Thank you for letting me know about this other option for upgrade. I will check them both out and see if one seems doable for me and then make my decision.

50 minutes ago, Rocker67 said:

Thank you for letting me know about this other option for upgrade. I will check them both out and see if one seems doable for me and then make my decision.

No problem. Regardless of what path you take on this (If you do) you will be quite pleased with the results. 

You can get McWill kits from Console5 here in the states for about $93 + shipping and would likely get in within a week.

https://console5.com/store/mcwill-lcd-upgrade-kit-for-atari-lynx-ii-later-version-2.html

The BennVenn screens are cheaper at basically $65 + shipping but as they come from Australia, it can take a while to get them. They also sell these on a pre-order basis meaning that once they have enough paid for upfront, they then get a batch made up and send it to you once they have them. The last order I placed for 2 screens from them took about 1 1/2 months for me to get it.

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/aftermarket-lcds/products/drop-in-lcd-kit-solderless-drop-in-pre-order-revision6

The capacitor and power refresh kits I would just get from Console5 as they are quality components and pricing is quite fair.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections