Squad Challenge - 2020 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge (Super Nintendo)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

F-ZERO
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Grand Prix > Knight League > Standard Class > Big Blue
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST December 31, 2020

Objective

Play for the best possible time using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between December 15th through December 31st, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Grand Prix > Knight League > Standard Class > Big Blue. This will be the 2nd Circuit on Knight League, which will appear after first completing Mute City I. We are playing for the best overall time to complete the circuit at Big Blue. At the title screen select GRAND PRIX. Players may select any air car they wish. Next, select the League and class in which you wish to race. Players will select KNIGHT LEAGUE, then STANDARD CLASS. This will start you at Mute City I. You'll have to play through Mute City I before you arrive at Big Blue. We are only posting our scores for Big Blue. You do not have to play the rest of the courses. We are only playing for the best overall time to complete the circuit at Big Blue.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 94th Squad Challenge! This year we're celebrating the holidays and bringing in the new year with the Big Blue circuit in F-ZERO on Super Nintendo, a true SNES classic! I have wonderful Christmas memories of F-ZERO, I received the game with my SNES when I was not expecting much of anything for Christmas  The game brought my family a lot of fun and joy that Christmas, and I love playing F-ZERO around Christmas. It's been a bit of a Christmas tradition in my house for years, and now it's become a tradition every year in the forums too, something special I like to share with all of you. 🎄 F-ZERO is one of the iconic titles on Super Nintendo, and it served as a great demonstration of the Super Nintendo's Mode 7 graphics. F-ZERO was a predecessor to anti-gravity racing league games such as Wipeout that would follow in coming generations of gaming. PDF F-ZERO Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

NOTE: We're ringing in the New Year right, with an Atari 2600 Squad Challenge! Be there!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

F-ZERO.pdf

YOU PICKED MY FAVORITE COURSE ON ONE OF MY FAVORITE RACING GAMES! YES!

I'll work on a time right now!

EDIT: My final time on Big Blue, first attempt, was 2'25"65. I don't have a picture as my phone is currently unavailable to me, so I took a screen capture on my Switch and will upload that or a picture of that in the morning.

Edited by HDN

Disregard that first time; I did it on the wrong difficulty by mistake.

Here’s my first REAL run. It was a little sloppy and I did a little pinballing on the edges. I think I can do better, but I’m not confident in my ability to win! Still love the game though.

2’33”00

3F61AEB3-BB6B-440B-AFB4-77405A40153F.jpeg.a5372c7943c86ab036deff10c931f818.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

2' 40"72.

First game via emulation. I don't think I've played this since the early 90s on my cousin's SNES (Pronounced S-N-E-S, never "Snez"). 😂

This is a fairly technical track. A lot of fun! It will be a challenge to shave of 15 seconds and catch @HDN!

IMG_20201219_111934484_HDR.jpg

I’ve always alternated between what I called it. Mostly, I’ll just say “sness”, “Super Nintendo”, or “Esseniess”.

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

2' 35"11

Last one for the day. What car is everyone using? I've gone through them all. This was with the "Fire Stingray."

IMG_20201219_121717523_HDR.jpg

Same here. The Fire Stingray is the best car by far. Keep up the good work!

1 minute ago, Gianna said:

First score so far, 2’ 44”58

FE5627A2-7CC9-458C-9805-07A3B3EAE3BF.jpeg

Another Switch player! I’m surprised you haven’t disabled the on-screen instructions yet. Those things drove me mad, and I turned them off immediately after getting Switch Online.

Speaking of which, I might “Switch” to real hardware soon.