Wildfire's getting too close around us.

MaximumRD

Not an "adventure" or story I prefer to be writing about but sharing just as a distraction and well ASKING FOR GOOD WILL AND WISHES. Just wanted to share and also IF you don't see me around for a bit this may be why, just wanted to keep my friends here in the loop....

You need only google KELOWNA + Fires to know things are a little scary here at the moment. I've posted on Facebook and Twitter and messaged close friends and family mostly to assure people, media typically posts scary video and images, DON'T GET ME WRONG I am not playing it down, just need to look at things logically and practically and provide true details. AS OF THIS MOMENT AS I TYPE THIS where WE reside in central Kelowna we are not on evacuation or alert. We are also mid thunderstorms and high winds which can change that status in a moments notice. West Kelowna is across the lake from us, a 5 minute drive across a bridge, they have had thousands evacuated as fires are out of control there. Melissa and I will sleep on shifts so one of us can always monitor the current status. ALSO: we have up to the minute alerts sent to us via messages and Email services, we are aware of local evacuation centers and we already have essentials and necessities packed up and ready to go as well as relatives that we can drive to in a worse case scenario. So there is nothing more to do or prepare it's just a waiting game and hoping things get under control. So that's it my friends, just wanted to vent, outside our balcony window skies are grey with smoke and you can smell it, we have our air filters going as well. These are two images, this is not to alarm you, just for context and to show I am not over reacting, basically the couple sitting on the bench are in City Park and this is a view of the fires raging across the lake late last night, a situation that has not improved, form where we are I could walk down to City Park in 20 minutes. The second image also from last night shows the building and downtown in areas of my city in contrast to the fires across the lake. Overnight there has appeared some spot fires and they are growing ON OUR SIDE likely from embers that floated across, these fires are growing as we get more evacuation alerts but that is travelling east of the city opposite direct from us SO FAR. THAT IS MY STORY, just trying to stay calm and cool headed but alert and ready. Worst fires here ever and oddly the 20th anniversary of historic Kelowna Mountain fires. This is life in British Columbia, beautiful here but man this is something I never had to worry about living in the big city of Toronto Ontario where we came here from 20 years ago. 🧯😬

367753292_250095691266411_2963571406756046897_n.png

unnamed_p3714090.jpg

This MAP breaks down a recent status. BLUE MARK is approx where WE reside, yellow is on alert, RED on Evac. SEND GOOD THOUGHTS AND VIBES things turn around and we don't actually have to evacuate.

368819034_10161595177193109_272282480338243868_n.jpg

Edited by MaximumRD
update

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Family / Friends FYI regarding our current status of the surrounding fires here and near Kelowna. - 
The alerts have slowed down significantly and the brave firefighters built a firewall on knox Mountain over night to keep the fire from spreading into Central Kelowna. Otherwise same, we remain at the ready and constantly monitor throughout the day, we won't be caught off guard as my wife and I are sleeping in shifts so no chance will miss any alert. Lastly, fyi the evac center is very close to us should it ever become necessary. Heavy smoke, poor air quality see image, this is our downtown which would be about a 20 minute walk from our position) but nothing we've not experienced before, so we have our air purifiers running 24/7. My wife and I are a great team and have everything within our control covered so let's just all hope winds and circumstances stay on our side. Thanks to all that have messaged or commented your concerns and best wishes. - Rob.

369013668_10161598150518109_6618875854990263218_n.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Whew! Caught up one rest for now, slept the day away but caught up on over due sleep, from 9am this morning until 6:30 pm I got 9 1/2 hrs rest. I was exhausted from staying up longer than  I normally would so my wife could slumber worry free, we are still sleeping in shifts to remain vigilant for wildfire alerts to either prepare for evacuation or simply evacuate, just being extra cautious as fires continue here in Kelowna BC but thankfully there has been no changes in several hours with even some evac alerts in some areas being demoted to simply stand by, hoping this means they are gaining ground. Been a rough few days but otherwise still trying to just live normally, enjoying hobbies, indoors mostly of course due to poor air quality from smoke and ash but as I tend to be a home anyway that is not too unusual. Hoping the next few days we can eventually unpack our "Evac essentials" so I can finally feel at ease. My wonderful wife prepared for me a nice dinner and dessert another my long slumber so now just back in front of the desktop to distract myself and try to unwind. 😬

Chorizo sandwiches with fresh tomatoes for dinner.

369178615_10161604376508109_7332666003417603930_n.jpg

Enjoying for dessert, straight from the orchard, Glo-haven Peaches. We have several varsities here in the Okanagan, this is juicy sweet and delicious one. Previously we had Champaign variety. 😋

369904483_10161604529093109_2141567143828824654_n.jpg

- M. Bison

👍Just wanted to say, THANKS to some rain overnight, at least we awoke to a normal sunrise! Like almost a normal sunny day, only a faint hickory smell (instead of thick smokey smell) and just a little hazy so mountains are not clear in the distance, but compared to the last few days when we could not even see mountains and the skies were greyed out and ash was falling, this is obviously a big improvement. Even got the windows open because it's cooled off as well. So, just glad after last few days getting real air through the place to air it out! Been a real stuffy hot box in here the last few days, the things we are thankful for! Not in the clear quite yet but hoping it's a sign! (picture from our balcony)

367651900_203851912678757_4595204779775702893_n.jpg

- M. Bison

6 hours ago, socrates63 said:

What is that itty bitty 2600? Is it functional?

😁Heh Naw, just a lego replica my buddy Jake aka MN12BIRD from youtube sent to me, I love it. 

- M. Bison

3 hours ago, RickR said:

Sign o the times -- checking the MSN weather site daily for air quality readings.  I'm thinking about getting a meter for inside my home.

Kelowna is showing a 38 as of now, but surrounded by bad air to the west and north.  Hopefully, things continue to improve!

Indeed! IN FACT this is right now, first time in days NO AIR Quality ALERT here in Central KELOWNA where we are! Very relieved. High of only 25c today, getting high over the weekend but cooling again by Tues! 

I'll take it! 

Screenshot 2023-08-24 124719.png

- M. Bison

Air Quality here now (I do fine even when it's worse so this is good imho) 

Moderate
Primary Pollutant · PM2.5 16 μg/m³
Air quality is acceptable. However, members of sensitive groups may be at risk.

- M. Bison

Just now, RickR said:

If it is any consolation, we're at AQI 55 here.  It smells very slightly of smoke, and there is a haze very high in the atmosphere. 

I assume you can't see the flames anymore and that is good.  And the fire fighters have the blazes more contained, right?

I don't think it is viewable from here now, I mean I am not in a location where I can look across the lake now but I can only assumed that area has burnt out, but yeah if we are seeing sun and blue skies and smelling less smoke it must all be further aways from us not to mention alerts have slowed down significantly with the majority that we DO receive typically informing alerts being rescinded or downgraded from evac to just standby. Literally just as I saw you reply I received THIS one so hoping it will be time to unpack our emergency items soon.....

Screenshot 2023-08-24 172325.png

- M. Bison

This is sadly heartbreaking though: 

Fire chief and half his members lose their own homes while fighting the wildfire

Thirteen of the 24 members of the Wilson's Landing Fire Department lost their homes.

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercooler/news/news/Kelowna/VIDEO_Fire_chief_and_half_his_members_lose_their_own_homes_while_fighting_the_wildfire/

- M. Bison

10 minutes ago, RickR said:

OMG that SUCKS!  F-ing wildfires. 

Yeah, for context, I forgot to add above, in red I circled Wilsons Landing to where we are across the bridge in Central Kelowna and connected them: 

Screenshot 2023-08-24 124719.png

- M. Bison