Squad Challenge - Centipede (Atari 7800)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Centipede
Atari 7800
Controller: JOYSTICK / TRAK-BALL / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: EXPERT
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST September 30, 2023
Nominated by @Gianna 

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between September 1st through September 30th, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, officially released compilation, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, updated and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

EXPERT. We are playing Centipede on the EXPERT Difficulty Setting, which provides the most challenging level of gameplay for prodigious adult players of the highest skill levels.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other dishonest advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 149th Squad Challenge! This month we're playing Centipede on its EXPERT Difficulty Setting for Atari 7800! This Centipede High Score Squad Challenge is a "Double Feature" that coincides with @Sabertooth's Centipede Recharged Squad Challenge in ClubVCS! We invite you to play in BOTH Squad Challenges, if you can! Special thanks to @Gianna for nominating this game! ROM is attached below. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Centipede.A78Centipede.pdf

5 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I really like the way the game plays with a joystick. I'm sure a track ball is a better experience, but I don't feel like I'm being hindered by using a joystick.

IMG_0946.jpeg.7b3d91f0402df08d26ae1ebd83802e4a.jpeg

I have tried it with a trackball and it is not the experience you would expect. It doesn't use the trackball mode of the controller, only the joystick mode.  So no matter how hard you spin the ball it makes no difference and it is still eight directions.  I really wish these games would have supported the trackball mode.

12 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I have tried it with a trackball and it is not the experience you would expect. It doesn't use the trackball mode of the controller, only the joystick mode.  So no matter how hard you spin the ball it makes no difference and it is still eight directions.  I really wish these games would have supported the trackball mode.

It is too bad that this game and others don't support the trackball natively out of the box. Have you tried the 7800 Centipede hack that supports the trackball? Or are you describing the experience of the trackball hack?

I was looking at the hack, but I'm not sure we can count it here.  Changes were made (like removing borders and graphical changes).  It is hard to say if gameplay is identical. 

I haven't tried it.  It smacks of effort 🙂  But I do have the hack (actually several versions of it) on the Concerto cart.

I've downloaded all the trackball hacked games but haven't gotten around to setting up my Dragonfly. I'm pretty sure I also have the Concerto but need to find it 😂

I agree that the hack shouldn't be sanctioned for this high score challenge. Even without the possible changes outside the controller, using an analog(?) trackball controller is a big change to the gameplay.

My understanding is that the TB hacks play exactly the same.  It's just changes on the border (with arcade style or dark) and, of course, true TB input.  I think to include the hacks, the scores would have to be separated as the TB control is different and will affect scoring.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...