Have you ever purchased a game, just because of the box art?

Most of my games that I either bought from many weeks of allowance collecting or on Birthdays/Holidays was because of the box-art and back of the box screen shots. And it was also the folly of some of the choices I made. My mother to this day will not leave me alone about my buying Sneak n Peek back in the day because I thought the graphics on the box looked so cool and fun!. And then we find out to actually play the game the 2nd player has to turn around and not look at where the first player ends up hiding..etc.

Such a crap game but I still state it had decent graphics for the time on the 2600 LOL!

But yeah...most of the games I bought back then were usually because I was familiar with the arcade game or because the artwork and screenshots looked awesome to me.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 9/26/2023 at 11:09 AM, sramirez2008 said:

Loving it! This so screams '80s to me. I remember going to a local cinema to see Conan the Barbarian with my friends. We couldn't wait to see Arnold in this role. 

Agreed, that is some killer box art for Conan. 😄 A certified classic, though I never played this version. 😛

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

Boxart is EVERYTHING!  Why else do you see a game, go, 'WOW!", and bring it home?  The boxart sells the game.  Or at least it use to before games got so high tech.

Favorites?  Here's one of my favorites just for the boxart:

Galaga.jpg.7df3550c6317b7b6b07a510f7f0df4d9.jpg

I just wish Atari, Corp would have colored the cart labels as well.  I know why they didn't but still...

I've purchased many games solely based on the box art. For the 2600, games released by 20th Century Fox comes to mind--Mega Force, SpaceMaster X-7.

The PS2 is another system where I've bought games solely based on the box art. The PS2 is blessed with many examples of outstanding box art especially the Japanese and European releases. The one that immediately jumps to mind is Demolition Girl. Being a Seattle-ite, I had to have this game when I saw the cover showing the Space Needle and downtown Seattle in the seeming context of a sci-fi B movie. I believe the game isn't good but no matter.

image.png.5e451d4cc25df94d38e42e1caccda688.png

Edited by socrates63

On 11/4/2023 at 10:32 PM, socrates63 said:

I've purchased many games solely based on the box art. For the 2600, games released by 20th Century Fox comes to mind--Mega Force, SpaceMaster X-7.

The PS2 is another system where I've bought games solely based on the box art. The PS2 is blessed with many examples of outstanding box art especially the Japanese and European releases. The one that immediately jumps to mind is Demolition Girl. Being a Seattle-ite, I had to have this game when I saw the cover showing the Space Needle and downtown Seattle in the seeming context of a sci-fi B movie. I believe the game isn't good but no matter.

image.png.5e451d4cc25df94d38e42e1caccda688.png

There goes the neighborhood