Squad Challenge - Pac-Man (Atari 2600)

Justin

YEA!!  Broke 8,000!!  ... and then some.  Drug out JR for this one because that static image on woody was bothering me.  

post-870-0-63158400-1503062256_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-85984500-1503062258_thumb.jpg

Sorry, guys. I've never played this game this much before but the higher my score gets the more I want to keep playing. After this I may just have to add a new copy of this game to my collection ;)

Opps...meant to use this image instead since my copy of Pac-Man is very rough and hard to tell what I am playing.

post-870-0-43648400-1503062517_thumb.jpg

There...that's better.

Edited by kamakazi20012

YEA!! Broke 8,000!! ... and then some. Drug out JR for this one because that static image on woody was bothering me.

DSC00066.JPG

DSC00068.JPG

Sorry, guys. I've never played this game this much before but the higher my score gets the more I want to keep playing. After this I may just have to add a new copy of this game to my collection ;)

More power to you man, I am happy with you hogging all the fun on this challenge :-)

New Score: 4616

Achieved this score LIVE on Instagram during our Atari Beachhouse livestream. Not a tremendous score but 500 points higher than my previous one. You can watch me play and see all of our new livestreams at @atarigames on Instagram! btbfilms was in the livechat while I was playing as you can see in the photo below (he's @brian_thomas_barnhart on Instagram)

Seriously, if you're not following us on Instagram you should be, and if you're not on Instagram this is a good reason to sign up. Plus everyone wants to see pictures of your kids going back to school.

pac-man_4616.jpg

What is your Weapon of Choice?

We as Atari gamers have many options, here are mine...

post-629-0-11030400-1503268483_thumb.jpg

I first picked up the Power Stick, this was an amazing experience due to the very light and responsive nature of this stick.  I didn't feel like I put up a good score but the pay was amazing.  

post-629-0-36015800-1503268625_thumb.jpg

Next Wico Boss.  Was not sure how this was going to go but I was surprised by the gameplay I was getting.  Easy to control and no maze lane wandering, at first I needed to get accustomed to the Boss but very soon in I felt confident in the maze.

post-629-0-09738900-1503268821_thumb.jpg

Moving on the the GripStick V61... Not too good in the maze.  Excellent for Ballblazer - Pac Man 2600... Not so much.  I did like the suction cups, thats a great feature but I was getting a ton of lane wandering and did not feel in control at all, and check out that score, I guess if I really practiced with this I could manage but after playing with the last two controllers I thought it was time to move on.

post-629-0-13872700-1503269044_thumb.jpg

My personal favorite controller for Ms. Pac Man on the 7800 is the Wico Ball top controller.  This to me is the tops when it comes to 3rd party controllers, its just built like a tank, very little hand cramping and you can really slam that controller around, but this not how old Pac moves in this one.  The Ms. and this stick - great match up and you can really whip around the corners in the 7800 version, this one not so much.

post-629-0-71828100-1503269272_thumb.jpg

On to the 7800 euro gamepad.  Well I had a good round - for me at least and it controlled pretty good with the pad... However, my thumb got tired real quick, like almost right off the bat.  Also I started with the thumb joystick in and as soon as I started took it out.  This got me a good score but it took a toll on my thumb.  

post-629-0-30689000-1503269461_thumb.jpg

Note that when I first started the High Score Squad Challenge this month I though I would use the original joystick in a StickStand... the amount of stress it takes to make the old joysticks work is nuts.  It was making my shoulder hurt and I can't imagine it without the StickStand, and it's suppose to help.

So I played a few rounds, it was time to try the Power Stick one more time.

post-629-0-76687200-1503269683_thumb.jpg

What say you?  What are you using for this round of Pac-Man on the 2600?

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Nice joystick reviews btb!

I stick with my trusty Slik Stik for Pac Man. 

That is the one Im always looking for when Im out and about.  Slick Stick and whats the one with the silver top?  Tac 2?  

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

TAC 2 - very short impression here:  http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/2072-the-atariio-collective-2600-joystick-collection/?do=findComment&comment=25532

You should post your joystick reviews in that thread too.

By the way, I think I have an extra Slik Stik if you ever want to trade.  Slik Stick and the Kraft joystick are my favorites.

Haha! The 7800 got me again!! I couldn't believe how bad I was doing on this. Just put in Frogger and realized I was on the "A" setting. Just hit 4,711. Now I'm ready to play!

I'm tellin' ya....keep a copy of Space Invaders handy.  That one makes it easy to tell if you're on A or B.  Fat ship = A, skinny ship = B. 

I keep hearing great things about the Slik Stik. Should I invest in one Rick? I've always just used the regular 2600 controller.

I think you need to get one in your hands before you decide.  If you have giant hands, you'll hate it.  Plus the button is too small.  But it's got really tight control.  Just twitch to move.  I love it.  For games that need precision, it's awesome. 

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations kamakazi20012!

GREAT SHOWING GUYS!! These scores are incredible! Congratulations on your win kamakazi! kamakazi20012 won with 9,131 points! TrekMD placed 2nd with a score of 7,007 points! We had a lot of Atari I/O Members join in for this Squad Challenge and ALL of you showed a great game. It was awesome to have everybody join in!! I encourage kamakazi20012 to post his winning Pac-Man high score on the Scoreboard! Way to go guys!

:commodore_joystick: We invite Squad Challenge winners to share their winning scores on the Scoreboard and keep the game going! :commodore_joystick:  

:pow: FINAL STANDINGS :pow:

1       kamakazi20012         9,131

2       TrekMD                      7,007

3       greenween                 6,167

4       atarilbc                       6,113

5       Ballblaɀer                   5,146

6       GRay Defender          5,066

7       Starbuck66                4,652

8       Justin                         4,616

9       GervGirl                     4,229

10     RickR                         3,993

11     nosweargamer           3,762