Squad Challenge - Canyon Bomber (Atari 2600)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Canyon Bomber
Atari 2600
Controller: PADDLES / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 1, Difficulty B
Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 30th, 2018

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 15th through November 30th, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 1, set Difficulty Switches to "B". Game 1 provides for 1 Player, remaining bricks fall to a lower level. In the "B" Difficulty position, the 2600 plays on a more skillful level, and therefore will be more difficult to beat. Difficulty “B” also allows you to recover and refire your bomb by pressing the red fire button. This enables you to reshoot a bad shot, or to fire at a different target, if the original target is hit by your opponent. There is no limit to the number of times you can recover and refire a bomb while your plane is making one run across the screen.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

For Use With Paddle Controllers: Players playing on real hardware will need Paddle Controllers for this game. This Squad Challenge remains open to PLAYER'S CHOICE to use any controller they wish to play this game on real hardware, dedicated console, or emulation.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

:mac_bomb: Welcome to our 47th Squad Challenge! This time we're playing an all-time Atari classic! Canyon Bomber is one of the earliest games released for the Atari 2600 (CX2607!) and was programmed by the legendary David Crane. It takes the early Ball and Paddle "Breakout" physics and sets it in a somewhat more real-world scenario of airplanes bombing a canyon. Canyon Bomber along with Air-Sea Battle and Combat became one of the first killer apps on the 2600. Let's see how far you can get. Bomb's away!

:nintendo_snes:  NOTE: Sometime in December we will be playing our first SNES game in a Squad Challenge. Get ready!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Canyon_Bomber.bin

Canyon_Bomber.pdf

580 is where i capped off tonight!! Live on Instagram of all places. LOL Using RetroN 77 with original paddles. 

If I had any tips, here they are.

1. On your first few passes just bomb away, as soon as you see your bomb hit the boulders fire off another. Usually you can keep up with the computers score that way.

2. Once the boulders start becoming fewer be selective with your shots. There is not time limit here so take your time and fire away when confident.  

3. If you see your shot is not going to hit anything you can stop it buy firing off another. I do this until I see one of my shots are lined up with a boulder. This is the best way I have found to stay in the game longer. 

Hope this helps at all. 

post-80-0-39343600-1542591042_thumb.png

Edited by Atari Creep

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

gallery_823_11_23190.jpg

If the board is cleared it resets!

attachicon.gif IMG_20181118_223203.jpg

I don't think you had BOTH difficulty switches set to "B"

Difficulty Level: Game 1, set Difficulty Switches to "B". Game 1 provides for 1 Player, remaining bricks fall to a lower level. In the "B" Difficulty position, the 2600 plays on a more skillful level, and therefore will be more difficult to beat.

When the left difficulty is set to "a" and the computer misses he loses some health like in the arcade version.

Yes I forgot to mention that. It's like a ray of false hope.

AMAZING score you thunder stealing bastard.   :rofl:  :P

:pile: :spot: :pile: Guess I STOLE HIS thunder :spot: :pile: :spot:

I don't think you had BOTH difficulty switches set to "B"

When the left difficulty is set to "a" and the computer misses he loses some health like in the arcade version.

I agree with this.  The low computer score may indicate an inadvertent issue with the settings. 

I need to try clearing the board.  You also lose a tic if you DON'T fire at all in each pass. 

Hmmm I'd have to check when I get home. What's position b on an Atari 7800? Left or right? That's what I played on this time.

They are unlabeled and confusing as hell on the 7800.  And they can be different based on the motherboard used!

The easiest way to know for sure is to use a Space Invaders cart and play a 2 player game.  Big base = A, small base = B. 

gallery_823_11_31201.jpg

Hmmm I'd have to check when I get home. What's position b on an Atari 7800? Left or right? That's what I played on this time.

Yeah a 7800 crossed my mind as well .... in this game , if right difficulty on"b" YOU can re-press the button to launch a new bomb.  , (if on "a" you have to wait till bomb hits the ground) 

If left difficulty on "b" the computer  will NOT lose health if they miss blocks (their health meter will blip but will ALWAYS be equal to your health status)

On my 7800 both difficulty switches were to the left position

gallery_823_8_78423.jpg

Edited by chas10e

can't figger out how to reply to Canyon bomber thread

figgered out how to post an image but no BB code link on gallery page -or- here in a new forum post

[img=http://forums.atari.io/index.php?/gallery/image/203-canyon-bomber-g1-db-353/]

Happy Thanksgiving to all and glad that site is working .... now GET OFF MY LAWN

oh wait .... other options ... down below

drag & drop sweetIMG_1710.thumb.JPG.cabbfeb0721a3ad6accdae5dfd9cc323.JPG

I was practicing a bit this past week. This is a game I didn't like, until this HSS informed me I was playing it wrong! I didn't realize it wasn't timed based, but missed shot based! Really changed things. All this time I thoughts it was a boring button masher...

Here's my best score. Ironically, I ignored trying to keep up with the computer and ended up trouncing the cheater (since he is allowed to miss as much as he wants)!

1142 (Atari GH Vol 2, played on my 3DS)

20181122_184927.thumb.jpg.a71d032cb609d093fa22304026b08820.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube