Jump to content
Justin

Squad Challenge - Moon Patrol (Atari 2600)

Recommended Posts

 

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

 

 

Moon Patrol
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Medium, Difficulty B for 3 Speeds
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 31, 2020

 

 

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 15th through July 31st, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

 

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

 

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

 

Difficulty Level

Medium Game Variation, Difficulty B for 3 Speeds. Press GAME SELECT to choose the "1P M" game variation for a 1 Player game playing at the MEDIUM level of challenge. The MEDIUM version begins on Course 1, but its progression in difficulty is faster than the Easy version. Set your Difficulty Switch to B for 3 Speeds. Please confirm that Difficulty B provides you with 3 Speeds as Difficulty settings may be reversed from the manual.

 

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

 

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

 

 

Message

Welcome to our 83rd Squad Challenge! We're playing Moon Patrol on Atari 2600, which in my estimation is an absolute classic! This was one of the better arcade ports to make it to the 2600, and it should be a fun one to play among friends in the forums! I think everybody knows how to play Moon Patrol, but if you have any questions regarding difficulty settings or develop an interesting strategy, let's talk about it below! PDF Instructions are provided below. I hope you guys are ready for a new season of High Score Squad and good luck to everybody participating! 

 

NOTE: Another great Squad Challenge is coming up soon! 

 

 

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

 

 


 

 

 

Moon Patrol.pdf Moon Patrol.BIN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's get this party started. 16,750 to warm up. 

I had this as a kid and have always loved it. There is so much going on! Craters, mines, and rocks ahead of you and enemies above!  GCC really outdid themselves in retaining all of the important elements of the arcade game. One of the greats for sure! 

 

IMG_20200716_192743185.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 9:36 PM, Justin said:

 

Difficulty Level

Medium Game Variation, Difficulty B for 3 Speeds. Press GAME SELECT to choose the "1P M" game variation for a 1 Player game playing at the MEDIUM level of challenge. The MEDIUM version begins on Course 1, but its progression in difficulty is faster than the Easy version. Set your Difficulty Switch to B for 3 Speeds. Please confirm that Difficulty B provides you with 3 Speeds as Difficulty settings may be reversed from the manual.

 

 

Can we talk real quick about this?  For me, the left difficulty switch is reversed from the manual.  A = music on, B = music off (mercifully, I choose option B).  Does this imply the right switch is reversed from the manual as well?  I tried it both ways, and I'm not sure I understand what the difference is.  In both cases, pushing left slows the tank down, and right speeds it up.  What am I missing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickR said:

Can we talk real quick about this?  For me, the left difficulty switch is reversed from the manual.  A = music on, B = music off (mercifully, I choose option B).  Does this imply the right switch is reversed from the manual as well?  I tried it both ways, and I'm not sure I understand what the difference is.  In both cases, pushing left slows the tank down, and right speeds it up.  What am I missing?

 

Difficulty A appears to actually provide you with 3 speeds, with B providing 2. From what I can tell with only 2 speeds on B, you travel at the same fastest speed on the right and middle, and slow down to the left.  Difficulty A retains these 2 speeds, but adds a third "in-between" speed for when you are in the middle.

Having 3 speeds might make the game easier in some circumstances, but probably also makes it harder to get bonus points since you are travelling a bit slower on average. Score-wise, I figure it evens out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RickR said:

Can we talk real quick about this?  For me, the left difficulty switch is reversed from the manual.  A = music on, B = music off (mercifully, I choose option B).  Does this imply the right switch is reversed from the manual as well?  I tried it both ways, and I'm not sure I understand what the difference is.  In both cases, pushing left slows the tank down, and right speeds it up.  What am I missing?

 

 

3 hours ago, RadioPoultry said:

Difficulty A appears to actually provide you with 3 speeds, with B providing 2. From what I can tell with only 2 speeds on B, you travel at the same fastest speed on the right and middle, and slow down to the left.  Difficulty A retains these 2 speeds, but adds a third "in-between" speed for when you are in the middle.

Having 3 speeds might make the game easier in some circumstances, but probably also makes it harder to get bonus points since you are travelling a bit slower on average. Score-wise, I figure it evens out.

 

Yes I was thinking the same thing. It appears to be reversed from the manual. I didn't have my Atari systems hooked up yet from from my recent move when I posted this so I was unable to independently verify, but suspected the manual was wrong, hence the underlined instructions for the Difficulty Level "Please confirm that Difficulty B provides you with 3 Speeds as Difficulty settings may be reversed from the manual."

We want the difficulty level that provides you with 3 Speeds, so lets play on Difficulty A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...