Squad Challenge - Moon Patrol (Atari 2600)

Justin

44 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

How are you getting THAT far?!?  I can't even get past the third set of stages.  Geez, mon.

You've got to master the slow jump (jumping over the holes at the slow speed).  It's really hard, as you have to get the timing right.  That's the main challenge of this game -- shooting the rocks and jumping over the craters.  Keep your eye on the ground, not on the sky aliens. 

As I mentioned before, the pattern of the craters/rocks is always exactly the same (except for the aliens that drop crater bombs).  Those levels get much easier once you memorize what's coming. 

25 minutes ago, Justin said:

Small improvement is an improvement! Baby steps, and have fun!

I'm having fun no matter what.  Atari games are always fun.  Just like the 5200; you gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk.  Even with all of its faults the 5200 version of Moon Patrol is a LOT easier than the 2600 version.

Edited by kamakazi20012

Hey - I am new here, this is my first high score challenge. 

I Had to try this one when I saw Atari Creep post his high score run because I love Moon Patrol (even though I kind of suck at it)

I have a ton of trouble getting past the crater run that is after the first set of tanks.  Those triangle ships seem to create an impossible jump every single time.

I will keep trying though 🙂 

IMG_20200723_194514753.jpg

8 minutes ago, MaliciousCarp said:

I Had to try this one when I saw Atari Creep post his high score run because I love Moon Patrol (even though I kind of suck at it)

I have a ton of trouble getting past the crater run that is after the first set of tanks.  Those triangle ships seem to create an impossible jump every single time.

WELCOME to the Atari I/O Forums @MaliciousCarp!! It's great to have you here and to have you join in High Score Squad!! Another new member that found their way here because of @Atari Creep, that's fantastic. I hope you enjoy your time here, it's a very friendly group of people. If you have any questions, just ask! WELCOME!! :wreck-it-ralph:

Celebrated Atari Day this weekend by playing Moon Patrol for the first time! I thought this was a really good game for the 2600. I had a lot of fun playing this and Moon Patrol seems to be popular with you guys! 😄 This is my score for my first time playing. I'll try to post a better score before the squad challenge is over. Good luck everyone 😄

My high score: 5600

IMG_6155.jpeg

On 7/23/2020 at 8:53 PM, MaliciousCarp said:

Welcome! You'll find this is a great supportive community. Thanks for joining in.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

18 hours ago, Justin said:

I unboxed a brand new minty fresh Moon Patrol to play this Squad Challenge :wreck-it-ralph:

atari_2600_moon_patrol_unboxing.jpg

They were made to be opened and enjoyed, not dust collectors sitting on a shelf.  They need air and exercise, too.  I've got a loose copy but would not mind a minty fresh one to sit next to the 5200 version I have.  I love those silver Atari boxes.

Edited by kamakazi20012

1 hour ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I love those silver Atari boxes.

Me too!

My goal tonight is to try to reach 20,000 points on this game.

Also me too!

Moon Patrol is one of my favorites

Idk why it took me 5 years to get to this game. Moon Patrol is nicely done on the 2600, it feels similar to a ColecoVision game to me.