Squad Challenge - Moon Patrol (Atari 2600)

Justin

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Winning a High Score Squad Challenge!"

RadioPoultry was awarded the badge '1st Time Squad Champ' and 5 points.

51,580. Managed to get through the first course without losing any lives! Then quickly lost them when I got to a couple tricky spots I wasn't very experienced with.

I used to play the Apple II version of this game pretty often many, many years ago. The one signicant feature of that version that is absent here were the moon plant obstacles. This version is smoother, though. I'm surprised by just how much activity can occur on the screen at once!

20200728_223457.jpg.dbf089e55613e48bb5ae45a16f46a070.jpg

Edited by RadioPoultry

Just joined the 40,000 points club! This game is brutal. Made it all the way through the first course without losing any lives, then get snagged up on those laser tanks on the first leg of the second course. It's hard to jump over the craters and land in time to be able to shoot down their laser blast. 40,000 points was my goal, let's see if I can do better!

My High Score: 40,400

moon_patrol_40400.jpg

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Just joined the 40,000 points club! This game is brutal. Made it all the way through the first course without losing any lives, then get snagged up on those laser tanks on the first leg of the second course. It's hard to jump over the craters and land in time to be able to shoot down their laser blast. 40,000 points was my goal, let's see if I can do better!

My High Score: 40,400

moon_patrol_40400.jpg

OK, man...give it up.  How did you get your entertainment center to light up like that?  

15 minutes ago, LinkYoungPS said:

Hi all!

I'm just getting started here, and someone I know has been encouraging me to hop in here. It's not a great score at all, but it's a start, and I think I'll be trying to have fun here some more!

Thanks!

- "Retro" Rich Heywood

WELCOME TO ATARI I/O RETRO RICH‼️ High Score Squad is one of our best events, so awesome of you to jump in and post a score! BIG WELCOME to you!! And a thank you to whomever out there has been encouraging you to hop in here and join the fun. 

37 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

OK, man...give it up.  How did you get your entertainment center to light up like that?  

Remote controlled LED Lights :wreck-it-ralph:

34 minutes ago, Justin said:

WELCOME TO ATARI I/O RETRO RICH‼️ High Score Squad is one of our best events, so awesome of you to jump in and post a score! BIG WELCOME to you!! And a thank you to whomever out there has been encouraging you to hop in here and join the fun. 

Thanks, it's fun to be here! :0)

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations RadioPoultry!

Congratulations @RadioPoultry!! RadioPoultry came in with the highest score to claim the top spot in our Moon Patrol High Score Squad Challenge! RadioPoultry scored 51,580 points and was the only one of us to break into the 50,000 points club. Way to go! @RickR takes 2nd Place with his score of 48,020 points. Awesome! I was right on his tail to claim the 3rd Place spot with 47,900 points.! Let's all give a GIANT Atari I/O Welcome to our new friends @MaliciousCarp and @LinkYoungPS who joined us in High Score Squad this week, it's great to have you guys here! We had fun this week with a fantastic 2600 game and a stellar turnout! @atarilbc @BlackCatz40 @Atari Creep @kamakazi20012 @TrekMD and @Gianna all turned out this week with their best scores! Congratulations everyone on joining in this challenge and checking out one of Atari's best games of 1983. As always I'd like to encourage RadioPoultry to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a Nintendo game! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_2600_moon_patrol.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

On 7/26/2020 at 10:24 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

My goal tonight is to try to reach 20,000 points on this game.

Yea...that went more like Peanut's "Jeff-fafa" statement.  Joke of the century.  LOL.  

Either way...I had a blast and I kept getting close to my previous score but I never reached 20,000 points.  This game is tough as nails.

17 minutes ago, RadioPoultry said:

Great competition, everyone! This was a really close one!

I was reminded of an ad in one of my brother's comic books. Here's a picture:

20200802_184543.jpg.4fc27bdc698d45ae3d322e55c7cf323d.jpg

That is so cool @RadioPoultry!! I love seeing stuff like this! Was that a DC Comics issue? No doubt there were a lot of Atari ads in DC Comics

10 minutes ago, Justin said:

That is so cool @RadioPoultry!! I love seeing stuff like this! Was that a DC Comics issue? No doubt there were a lot of Atari ads in DC Comics

It's actually from the inside front cover of Marvel Team-Up #142, Spider-Man and Captain Marvel. I would not be the least bit surprised if this ad was in DC Comics too!

20200802_194056.jpg