Squad Challenge - Moon Patrol (Atari 2600)

Justin

14 hours ago, RickR said:

I tell you, I've tried that A/B switch both ways, and I canna tell no difference.  I put it on A. 

12 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I tried it on my JR unit and it seems to be the same no matter which way I flip the switch.  And, yes, my diff switches work perfectly.  I even tried it on my 4-switch and same thing...no difference between A and B.  I wonder if it is the carts themselves?  Maybe there were "improvements" attempted?

I'm going to put this in the "WTF Was Atari Thinking in 1983?!" category. The manual discrepancy alone is confusing and should've been caught before it went out.

You guys are doing well, let's keep playing! Thank you everyone for being honest and open about your experiences with your scores, having an honest group of friends in here makes it much easier to do these Squad Challenges. All fun, no squabbling. 

15 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm going to put this in the "WTF Was Atari Thinking in 1983?!" category. The manual discrepancy alone is confusing and should've been caught before it went out.

We have such a section?  Put in a few 5200 games, too, like JR Pac-Man, Sinistar, Super Pac-Man...all completed games that are absolutely a BLAST to play on the 5200...never released.  Yea...someone had one job to do and they pooched it.  And Sinistar was a much needed title on the 5200.  It would have been a killer app on that system.  The dang thing TALKS!

15 hours ago, Justin said:

You guys are doing well, let's keep playing! Thank you everyone for being honest and open about your experiences with your scores, having an honest group of friends in here makes it much easier to do these Squad Challenges. All fun, no squabbling. 

Squabbling = no.  Cursing at the screen like a sailor?  Definitely.  I know I've jumped over that one ditch but, no, game says I crashed in it.  That rock...NO NOT THAT ONE!  The other one!  Boom...right in to it.  I have more trouble with the environment than the enemies flying around.  Geez.  I'm never complaining about my 5200 Moon Patrol ever again.  I like this one but, dang it all, it's whipping my butt LOL.

Oh good, it's not just me!  This game is HARD!  But really fun and well-done.  It's kind of amazing what the 2600 was capable of with the right developers and resources!  No flicker, great graphics, and fast gameplay.  Incredible!

I will keep trying.  This seems like one of those games where the pattern is pretty much the same every time with just a little randomization from the sky enemies.  I'm getting really good at getting through the first and second levels after playing through them 100 times. 

8 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

We have such a section?

Not just games, decisions. Atari potentially could've survived 1983 had games like Pitfall, River Raid, Cosmic Ark, Atlantis, etc. been Atari releases. Once the cat was out of the bag that anybody could release their own unlicensed games for the 2600, it resulted in 1.) only 2 of the top 10 selling 2600 games around that time being actual Atari releases (massive lost revenue), 2.) Atari lost their best in-house game design talent to new groups like Activision and Imagic, 3.) the glut of shovelware that resulted from this contributed greatly to the collapse of the video game industry, and 4.) Atari continued making weird, thoughtless choices about their games and products. The handling of the 5200 was a mess, the Nintendo relationship was lost due to incompetence, and for all the talk of Atari's 2600 games group having smoke outs, pizza parties and fun nights in the spa, it was a group of MIT dropouts on the other coast at GCC that were sending Atari their highest quality releases in 1983 and 1984, and delivered the 7800 to Atari's doorstep without a lot of those guys really knowing much about it.

Not just games, poor decisions that helped to kill the company.

Awesome points, @Justin.  What's so dang interesting is how all of the other players goofed it up too.  Mattel got hosed by that bad court decision on the computer add-on for Intellivision.  A daily penalty took their focus off what they did best.  And why spend any time and effort on the Intellivision 2 without improving your one weakness (the controller)? 

And Coleco had the very best machine out at the time, and they spent their wad on the failed Adam computer.  D'OH!  What could have been if they'd have just focused on the ColecoVision as a game console. 

6 hours ago, RickR said:

Awesome points, @Justin.  What's so dang interesting is how all of the other players goofed it up too.  Mattel got hosed by that bad court decision on the computer add-on for Intellivision.  A daily penalty took their focus off what they did best.  And why spend any time and effort on the Intellivision 2 without improving your one weakness (the controller)? 

And Coleco had the very best machine out at the time, and they spent their wad on the failed Adam computer.  D'OH!  What could have been if they'd have just focused on the ColecoVision as a game console. 

Absolutely Rick! Video games were new and it was a learning curve for everyone.

I think the difference is, with Atari, they were the clear industry leader, and by 1983 they were filled with people who knew better. The "Blue Sky Rangers" the team at Intellivision, the team at Coleco, and the third party developers, these were all fairly small houses at the time, almost boutique developers compared to Warner's Atari, Inc. Atari's mistake was compounded ten fold on the industry. It hurts the industry when Mattel mucks up the first computer add-on, it hurts when Coleco does something similar with ADAM, but one mistake after the next from Atari compounded into them being frozen up, and Atari's absence from the video game market mid 1984-1986 was a catastrophic failure resulting in the power vacuum in the industry which Nintendo was happy to step in and fill, while all the "experts" proclaimed video games a dead fad.