Squad Challenge - Star Fox (Super Nintendo)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Star Fox
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default (Push Start to Play)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST August 14, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between August 1st through August 14th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. What works best to your advantage? Choose your weapon of choice! Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Default (Push Start to Play). There are no difficulty settings in Star Fox. However, you can select from four controller configurations, as well as select from three different courses on your journey through the Lylat System. Course One is less difficult than Course Two and Three. You are free to select any controller configuration and course that you wish!

The Big Tip Off!

When you first begin this Squad Challenge, play a few practice rounds sampling different courses and controller configurations to see which one works best for you. Play the game any way you'd like, the idea is to score as many points as possible!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 85th Squad Challenge! We're playing Star Fox on Super Nintendo, which in my opinion is a must-have game for the system! Star Fox introduced us to the Super FX chip and its 3-D world of nefarious polygons. Early Atari Jaguar games like Cybermorph and Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy often get compared to Star Fox. How does Star Fox with its gameplay, storyline and characters  stack up in your opinion? Let's talk about it in the thread! PDF Instructions are provided below. Good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Our next Squad Challenge will be the Atari 7800 2020 Pole Position II Grand Prix!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Star Fox.pdf

I was a total Sega Fanboy back in the day, so my Super Nintendo experience is pretty limited.  My first SNES was the Retron 3, which had terrible sound and couldn't play StarFox.  I eventually got a SNES model 2 and a SNES Classic Mini which both can play StarFox.  This should be an interesting one!

(I was originally going to make a joke about playing the original Star Fox on the 2600 and submitting a score for it, but I feel like I am too new here... Also, I really don't want to subject myself to a Mythicon game if I don't have to) 🙂 

IMG_20200802_163259098.jpg

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Well dad-blast-it.  I've got a Retron 3, and you're right...it DOESN'T WORK! 

Oh well, I'll have to try emulation I guess. 

:pow: For anyone running into trouble with Retron systems, remember it's okay to play Star Fox on an SNES Mini console, Nintendo Switch Online, any viable form of emulation, etc. All of those scores are able to be submitted to the Squad Challenge.

5 hours ago, MaliciousCarp said:

I was a total Sega Fanboy back in the day, so my Super Nintendo experience is pretty limited.  My first SNES was the Retron 3, which had terrible sound and couldn't play StarFox.  I eventually got a SNES model 2 and a SNES Classic Mini which both can play StarFox.  This should be an interesting one!

(I was originally going to make a joke about playing the original Star Fox on the 2600 and submitting a score for it, but I feel like I am too new here... Also, I really don't want to subject myself to a Mythicon game if I don't have to) 🙂 

IMG_20200802_163259098.jpg

I don't have the SNES StarFox but certainly do have the 2600 Star Fox.  I know what one doesn't count for this high score compo.  🙂

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

I was fortunate enough to have a Genny and SNES.  I liked the few SNES games I had but I found more games I liked on the Genesis.  I also remember the debate in high school about which system had the better sound.  Most agreed with the SNES but then Streets of Rage 2 came out and the soundtrack to that game simply rocked.  

As for Star Fox on the Super NES...I agree that it felt like a Star Raiders game.  I beat the game a few times.  Star Fox is one of the shinning moments on the Super.  

@MaliciousCarp Hehe I was wondering if someone was going to pull that joke.  

Let's get started with a score! This was my first attempt and I'm pretty happy with how it went, I got all the way to Venom but that last boss handed it to me.

My High Score: 47,100

:pow: Your score is displayed at the end of each round. You'll want to take a photo of your score before you begin the next leg of your journey because a final score is not displayed at the end of the game when you lose your last life.

IMG_7133.JPG

Very cool. Star Fox is one of those games I'd play on demo kiosks in stores while my mom was shopping in other departments. 

I wish I had time to find my copy, hook up the SNES and take part, but I'm super busy on my channel this month. I'm celebrating Atari 2600 Paddle games and am trying to review as many of them as possible before the month ends. Good luck to all who take part!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Okay guys this is the score to beat. I beat Star Fox tonight and I did it on one life. I haven't played Star Fox in a few years, I don't consider myself a "Star Fox master" but I was in the mood to play this game and it's been a lot of fun. I've really enjoyed the past few Squad Challenges we've done. I hope you have too!

My Final Score: 55,700

At the end it also gave me an average score of 92%

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7352.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

22 hours ago, RickR said:

I stink at this game, but I'll tell you what...the soundtrack is incredible.  It sounds a lot like the background music you used to hear at EPCOT.  That's what it reminds me of. 

I loved everything about Star Fox on the Super NES.  It was a great game and, not too surprisingly, still holds up well today.  It made great use of the technology inside the system.  

I downloaded an emulator so I guess I'm going to try it with emulation and a 360 controller.  I'm just missing a key ingredient to play.

6 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I loved everything about Star Fox on the Super NES.  It was a great game and, not too surprisingly, still holds up well today.  It made great use of the technology inside the system.  

I downloaded an emulator so I guess I'm going to try it with emulation and a 360 controller.  I'm just missing a key ingredient to play.

I also used an emulator.  I chose one called "bsnes" and it works very nicely.