Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

11 hours ago, RickR said:

Absolutely.  Any pickup you are excited about, feel free to share.  Post pics!

I was actually joking, Rick.  I was referring to cars in the video games. 😄 I found a car in GT2 I never seen last time I played it. At all. And we collected over 100 cars that time, new and used. I wish I could find a better car as my poor Plymouth needs new brake system all way around, finding those parts has not been easy.

1 hour ago, RickR said:

oh!  I'd love to know the differences.  I was really wondering if there were any major differences between the various platforms for the games. 

I might do a short video comparison of the PS4 and VCS versions.

The main difference as I can tell is that the VCS version supports the twist/rotary function of the Classic Joystick. It's not a perfect implementation but generally feels good and is a fun way to play. I think sensitivity adjust options would have made it perfect.

Playing with the gamepad feels the same on both platforms. Which - to use Tempest speak - is EXCELLENT.

Additionally, both local and online leaderboards are currently broken in the VCS version. Also, since the game was built for a gamepad and not the Classic stick, the in-game menus aren't mapped correctly when using that controller. In other VCS games that support both controllers, the controller type is usually automatically detected and on-screen menus change to reflect that. Not a huge deal, but still. Hopefully these are addressed in an update. 

Edited by Sabertooth

On 3/24/2022 at 10:34 PM, Sabertooth said:

I might do a short video comparison of the PS4 and VCS versions.

I watched your video -- very well done.  The only real difference I noticed was the PS4 version seems to zoom in a little bit more on the playfield (it looks slightly larger).  Otherwise, they look identical. 

21 minutes ago, RickR said:

I watched your video -- very well done.  The only real difference I noticed was the PS4 version seems to zoom in a little bit more on the playfield (it looks slightly larger).  Otherwise, they look identical. 

Thanks for checking it out. Yes, that's the only discernable visual difference. PS4 the leading edge of the web is slightly larger. Otherwise, they play and feel the same with a gamepad. Using the Classic Controller gives the VCS version a different feel altogether.

April has been a really good pickups month for me. I was able to get several items that have been high on my list to get for several years now. And while this month isn't over, I don't have anything else on the way or that I'm aware of to add. So... here we go!

April was both a Sega Saturn and old table top games month mainly. It all started at the beginning of the month when I purchased and installed a replacement BIOS for my model 1 US Saturn. It was something I'd been meaning to do for a number of years and I finally got around to it. I installed a region free BIOS and figured I would have it made with what I consider to be the best startup graphic for the Saturn systems that were released. Here is a direct capture of how the ITC Saturn now boots up:

And then I was busy using my Buyee account to get some stuff out of Yahoo auctions Japan. I picked up a Saturn game I've been wanting for a long time that usually is crazy expensive on ebay but I only paid about half the cost for it from Japan directly. That game is Bulk Slash. Really fun 3rd person shooter type game with full 360 degree movement and pretty detailed graphics for the Saturn. In addition, I've been trying to get away from having to use my Action Replace cart as it is getting more finicky to use. As such, I also picked up a 4MB RAM expansion cart for those games that need it, and an official Saturn save cartridge for storing save games onto.

1707585259_BulkSlashCarts.jpg.3d3a0f79956b8485b9db56ea004c3c6c.jpg

I then received shipping notice for a new controller I ordered from Castlemania Games a few months back. It is a nice controller that can be used on either the Saturn or the Genesis and it is called the BrawlerGEN:

Control_GenSat.jpg.7d3895fbc23200df19472e2a1b19109c.jpg

Then to shift gears a bit, I also got shipping notification a week ago from Limited Run games that my copy of Axiom Verge 2 was on the way for the PS4. I've not opened it or played it yet but I really liked the first game. Although I wasn't able to complete the first game as I got seriously lost at what I believe to be just over the halfway point in the game and go super frustrated trying to figure out where the heck to go.

AxVerg2.jpg.d51d635a2715c806a0725faefc6796d2.jpg

That now takes us to two old table top games from the 80s that I had been wanting for at least a decade now since I first found out about them. The first one is Astro Thunder and it is a pretty big and fairly complex game of these types for back in the day. First pic is of the machine with the flash on to show detail and the second pic is without flash so you can see the game play screen.

Astro_1.jpg.83b28be8e5a594bc7cb1103a74062298.jpg

Astro_2.jpg.71b1d8bd9aabed95ecd216a2084cd387.jpg

The last item for this month is another table top game that was NOT released stateside and in fact I believe was exclusive to Japan only. It is made by TOMY and uses the same case shell design as their TRON and Caveman games. The game is called Lupin and while the box art for it doesn't look it, I believe this is based on the Lupin III character from the mangas and TV shows. This was another Yahoo auction Japan purchase using my Buyee account. This game also just arrived today after a 10 day wait in customs in Chicago. Here is what it looked like when I got it. Decent shape, but very dirty. Notice there is some Kanji written across the top of the shell. No idea what it said as I was unable to get google to translate it.

Lupin_Dirty.jpg.27a89dc703d40d7f0842487128eef2c2.jpg

A little Dawn dishsoap and some warm water and I've got it looking as good as I think I can. I did have to use a light scouring pad and my De-solv-it to get that Kanji off the top of the case but all in all. Lupin cleaned up pretty well...

Lupin_Clean.jpg.af655ba2879043180604fc914273f976.jpg

And here is what the game play looks like for Lupin in all of its VFD colorful glory! It is very fun game to play with 3 separate game stages you go through.

Lupin_on.jpg.0038e890c09271179bb7d4aba3563a54.jpg

And those are my recent pickups! Quite excited to have these items as again they have been high on my collection want list for many years.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

@TrekMD I sent the email for the second Zark Stars game, but I really cannot justify that pricing. Especially with the issues I have with the first game not even working on 7800 consoles. To be fair, I've borrowed other copies of the first game that did work on 7800 systems including my own, but yeah... I just can't. They quoted me a price of well over $100 USD shipped for it this time around and I just can't swing that this go around.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

16 hours ago, - Ω - said:

It would be cool if this site a pickups thread for non gaming items as well.

We have non-gaming items in this thread (I can think of two off the top of my head -- fitbit and the smart power strips).  In any case, I hope you feel comfortable enough to share what you want whether here or in another thread. 

From last week's Atari Age mailing:

Gravitic Mines, the new gravity flyer from homebrew heros Reboot for the Jaguar! The 16 worlds in this game are just gorgeous! Cart, box, manual and overlay are first rate! Oh, and the game is great too... 😉

Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days for the 7800. A fun 8-bit homebrew adventure with 99 levels from Vladimir Zúñiga.

Screenshot_20220527-084417_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-080555_Instagram~2.jpg