Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

12 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I'm probably going to dramatically slow down on getting more cartridges in the future as I have an Everdrive for the GB/GBC on the way.

That's what did it for me too.  Once I had an everdrive, I stopped even looking.  I've been trying to slow down on collecting for the past year or so, and it's going pretty well.  Although sometimes, my wife wonders if I'm dying or something when I pass by a thrift or game store.  

I have so much I want to play but don't have time.  Taking care of my mom, working, trying to stay physically fit...I think we all know the parts of "life" that consume most time.  

BUT...I sure do enjoy seeing what others are collecting and enjoying.  So thank you and everyone else for continuing to share.  Great stuff.  You guys are awesome.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:12 AM, RickR said:

That's what did it for me too.  Once I had an everdrive, I stopped even looking.  I've been trying to slow down on collecting for the past year or so, and it's going pretty well.  Although sometimes, my wife wonders if I'm dying or something when I pass by a thrift or game store.  

I have so much I want to play but don't have time.  Taking care of my mom, working, trying to stay physically fit...I think we all know the parts of "life" that consume most time.  

BUT...I sure do enjoy seeing what others are collecting and enjoying.  So thank you and everyone else for continuing to share.  Great stuff.  You guys are awesome.

I own flash devices for most of the consoles I play on, and it too has made me slow down and not purchase something just because I don't have it yet. I actually find that I still prefer to pop in the actual games in most cases but I tend to use my flash drives as a 'Try before I buy' setup. Especially for heavy hitters that require considerably more coin than common stuff does. 

As an example, I have a RHEA installed in my model 1 Saturn. Using it, made me go ahead and get actual copies of Policenauts, Grandia, Bulk Slash, and a few other Saturn games that while not crazy cheap (Even if most of them are JPN releases only), I was still willing to seek them out and purchase them. This way I own those games physically because I wanted them for the collection, but at the same time, I'm able to actually more easily play the games with fan translations on my RHEA using disc images for those games.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I agree with you @CrossBow about flash carts. It's a great way to play the games and identify the ones you may want to collect physical copies of.

@RickR we are living the same lives it seems 😂 caring for mom, working, personal fitness. With the lack of time and energy, it's the really simple and short games that I find myself spending time playing. My current guilty(?) pleasure? Hoyle Card Games for the Game Boy Color. It comes with simple in-game instructions, and I learned to play Crazy 8. It plays very similarly to Uno and has been fun.

Yet more Game Boy stuff.

X has been on my wishlist, and I ran across a cheap CIB copy on ebay. I now have three CIB JP Game Boy games (Mario Picross games being the other two).

I recently ordered the Everdrive for the Game Boy. They are very difficult to come by lately, and I signed up for a stock notification at a couple of stores (Everdrivestore and stoneagegamer). I wasn't quick enough the first couple of times, but on my third notice, I was able to secure one. I splurged for the high end model.

Lastly, with my growing Game Boy games, I bought some 3D printed trays on Etsy for easier storage. The trays are certainly more convenient, nicer to look at, and shelf friendlier than a shoe box. The gray one is for the original GB games. The black tray is for GBC games, multicarts, and hacks/homebrews. The yellow is the GBA tray. I only have a half dozen GBA games and that includes one multicart. I got an Everdrive for the GBA very early so I've managed to keep the GBA cartridge count to a minimum.

IMG_1498.JPG.509442268a37620587c5b1ed784d5224.JPG 

IMG_1500.JPG.6fe91454ff1757672064039455aeba09.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG.b96d3652aa86765ef4436f64989909e9.JPG

On 7/20/2022 at 4:13 PM, socrates63 said:

Yet more Game Boy stuff.

X has been on my wishlist, and I ran across a cheap CIB copy on ebay. I now have three CIB JP Game Boy games (Mario Picross games being the other two).

I recently ordered the Everdrive for the Game Boy. They are very difficult to come by lately, and I signed up for a stock notification at a couple of stores (Everdrivestore and stoneagegamer). I wasn't quick enough the first couple of times, but on my third notice, I was able to secure one. I splurged for the high end model.

Lastly, with my growing Game Boy games, I bought some 3D printed trays on Etsy for easier storage. The trays are certainly more convenient, nicer to look at, and shelf friendlier than a shoe box. The gray one is for the original GB games. The black tray is for GBC games, multicarts, and hacks/homebrews. The yellow is the GBA tray. I only have a half dozen GBA games and that includes one multicart. I got an Everdrive for the GBA very early so I've managed to keep the GBA cartridge count to a minimum.

IMG_1498.JPG.509442268a37620587c5b1ed784d5224.JPG 

IMG_1500.JPG.6fe91454ff1757672064039455aeba09.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG.b96d3652aa86765ef4436f64989909e9.JPG

Nothing wrong with gameboy.  It created its own market and is still highly regarded.  I wish I still had my original GB but I do have a slightly modified GBA.

11 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Nothing wrong with gameboy.  It created its own market and is still highly regarded.  I wish I still had my original GB but I do have a slightly modified GBA.

I wish I still had my original GB, but I gave that away many years ago to a little boy. I re-acquired an original GB last year. I still have my original GB Color. However, now that I have a GBA and have been spoiled by the IPS screen on it, I can't go back to the screens on the unmodded handhelds.

19 hours ago, TrekMD said:

This arrived today...

Atari 2600 LEGO.jpg

Curious how many of the pieces have actual printing on them vs stickers? I was shocked when I found out that the new Galaxy Explorer is all printed pieces with not a single sticker in use. But this set I'm guessing will have a lot of stickers as I just can't see them printing all of the designs seen onto the bricks. That would make them crazy unique to this set and LEGO don't typically do that.

I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money, especially when I really don't have anywhere for it to go.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Well, if I'm being honest, I bought it as an investment.  Even though it is new and the kit is still available through LEGO, there are people already selling them for over $400.  I don't have the time or patience to put it together.  As for it working I'm sure someone will figure out how to get it to work! 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Here are few recent pickups for me....

First is that I've had the game for at least a month now but hadn't posted any pics of it. However, the CD with the alternate soundtrack on it I just got late last week in the mail. If you didn't know, the game supports the ability to play back music from music CDs if you have a SegaCD attached and working. So having this awesome alternate soundtrack from Anders Jensen is really the best version of the game you can play currently. At least, until the even more awesome Pokey enabled 7800 version is released at PRGE!

Gen_Petscii_Rbts_w_CD.jpg.14c9ec145cfbc717028b721f690551ba.jpg

I mentioned this in another thread here not too long ago but finally received it in the mail today. I don't know when I will have time to put this together, but I will be sure to give my thoughts on it when I do!

GBAHD_Consolizer_Kit.jpg.0b0a9a51a1a494e5c1172f0b9d1d31a1.jpg

Last for now is that I have to state just how impressed I am with this release! I ordered this back in Nov of last year from Castlemania games but it did arrive late last week and it is crazy impressive! This is the game Gaiares which, was re-issued as a special set of which several places were selling it. Compared to most releases like this, it was a bargain at just under $70 shipped. The game comes with a t-shirt like from the original ad back in the day that you specify the size you want, it comes with a reversible insert on the clamshell with either the original US release artwork or much better Japanese artwork etc. Here are individual pics of this great re-issue.

Gaiares_Reissue_Set.jpg.ec237b7036c65ca536e96622dd9f2d56.jpg

The cartridge is actually a transparent smoke colored shell with a foil label featuring the JPN artwork once again and is overall very high quality. Pics can't do the foil justice.

Gaiares_Cart_Front.jpg.365843e348921025d51a7b469911e447.jpg

Gaiares_Cart_Back.jpg.ae1ba2efee9776e4f7da2f384f2b8098.jpg

The clamshell features a slip cover that is actually very detailed again with the JPN artwork on it but also with raised relief on it?! Again, the picture doesn't capture this.

Gaiares_Slip_Front.jpg.66344a66e22b584e732717d3347f6a94.jpg

The back of the slip cover features several screenshots from the in game cutscenes and they are printed in very high detail on the back. They are also raised relief on these individual shots?! This pic kinda shows that with how you can see the slight shadowing off the edges of the pictures etc.

Gaiares_Slip_Back.jpg.b8fb38ad033e8082b57d48351d8aed39.jpg

So yeah overall just a very impressive re-issue for this great shooter on the Genesis. I own the original as a loose cart only so getting it in this official reissue as a new complete package is awesome!

Couldn't help it... I was trying to take a break from the iron for a few days after a lot of work I've been doing lately, but wanted to see this in action so... I did this last night. I will provide more thoughts on it in a blog but here is some pics and a quick video:

Front and Back of the completed kit:

GBHD_Front.jpg.a52473ecc3168c7951a347779b7f893a.jpg

GBHD_Back.jpg.568b8840f9d60469719095dd14d49ea5.jpg

There is only a little bit of soldering involved, but it requires lots of flux and patience as it requires soldering to very fine pitch pins off the GBA CPU directly. My first attempt the controls weren't working. Found out I had soldered the ribbon cable 1 pin off on the left side of the CPU and had to undo and remove it, re-align it, and solder it back down.

GBHD_Ribbon_Soldering.jpg.7ec66c758bfa43df0a7ae72b71877589.jpg

And of course a quick 1min video when I was testing it all put together on one of my test TVs in the lab area:

Edited by CrossBow

3 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I ordered Vectrexians and it arrived yesterday. I love Galaxian, and I heard that this is a good one. Not shown below but the game came with an overlay.

IMG_1596.JPG.6a347ba13bee5be9ef65fc2e415c763c.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG.51e5c06bde4ddc9229b306fdd401df68.JPG

I don't own this one from Kristoff, but I do own Vector Pilot and Vector Patrol and they are amazing games on the Vectrex! 

I purchased myself a new USB version of the SD2SIO (my existing version was serial, which is a PITA to get working on a modern laptop) from Vintage Computer Center.  It works well.  These things are very inexpensive and every 8-bit owner should consider one.  It lets you set up a server on a PC to emulate a disk drive, OR you can copy disks to ATR images using a PC and a real drive.   

atari sd2sio 004.JPG

atari sd2sio 007.JPG

Edited by RickR

On 8/11/2022 at 6:16 PM, RickR said:

I purchased myself a new USB version of the SD2SIO (my existing version was serial, which is a PITA to get working on a modern laptop) from Vintage Computer Center.  It works well.  These things are very inexpensive and every 8-bit owner should consider one.  It lets you set up a server on a PC to emulate a disk drive, OR you can copy disks to ATR images using a PC and a real drive.   

atari sd2sio 004.JPG

atari sd2sio 007.JPG

I've got one 😊 love it.

I picked up Yars: Recharged on the VCS this morning.  I'm a big fan of the Recharged series but Atari have really uped their game with this and Gravitar. Hard to share digital games but here is a link to my blog post and gameplay vid.

It's available virtually everywhere, so if you're a fan of the 1982 original it is well worth a look.

Edited by Sabertooth

I made another small pick up at a flea market yesterday.

Couple Wii games, and PC games, as well as that Donkey Kong Country VHS. It's never been opened, and I don't plan to open it or even have a VCR right now, but I could NOT pass that up for my collection.

Also picked up a DVD about the behind-the-scenes making of Jeopardy!, my favorite game show ever.

20220829_170002.jpg

Edited by LeeJ07

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.