Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

Not a ton of pickups recently, but I did get two of these games as part of a trade towards console services I provided to a friend of mine who is also a retro gaming enthusiast. 

42023pickups.jpg.f7610a89e6bb1400bba27333395fe0b2.jpg

The two games being 7800 Midnight Mutants and 5200 Dreadnaught Factor. Midnight Mutants isn't sealed but is complete and in really nice condition overall. This means I might have a spare loose cart and possibly manual I can trade out soon. But the Dreadnaught Factor is sealed and unopened with the original retail stickers on it from back in the early 80s. 

onEscape is cool new point n click type adventure game for the Atari 8-bit computers. It has a wonderful pokey soundtrack that you can only fully take advantage of with a stereo pokey setup in the console. It also features some really nice pixel art in quite a few places with an intro cutscenes. Its only drawback if you want to consider it that, is there isn't a save option so it does require playing through it in one sitting. However, it is quite short so once you know what to do, you can get through the game in a matter of less than 10min at that point. Still always happy to support the community making these awesome brews for our old systems and the soundtrack really is kinda worth the price of admission in this case.

The Genesis cartridge you see titled 'Decoder' is another music album put on cart from a pretty well known chiptune artist by the name of Remute. This cartridge instead of being a jukebox style album, actually has graphic novel you read through that has the music playing between each portion you read. There is even some short FMV sequences it plays while reading through the story and the still pics are quite colorful and detailed making excellent use of the Genesis palette restrictions. There is a standard jukebox mode as well but it isn't very interactive in that you just choose that mode and it just plays through each song in full one by one, so the real star of that cart is the graphic novel you read through.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

And I guess for those that didn't see my status update, I upgraded my main desktop PC on the cheap.  I bought a CPU and motherboard new and re-used the old case, SSD, hard drive, memory, power supply, video card, etc.  Total cost was $200, and it's 6 core, 12 thread.  A big improvement for games.

image.png

13 minutes ago, RickR said:

What does "jail broken" do for you? 

The things important to me:

1. Play rom files. I have a little over 200 3DS game. I believe a jailbroken 3DS can dump the rom off of the cartridge onto the SD card. The convenience of playing rom files is nice.
  2. Homebrews. Having a way to play homebrew rom's is very cool. With the Gameboy, GBA, and DS, I have a way to play off of an SD memory card. Having said that, I'm not sure how many compelling 3DS homebrew titles there may be. I haven't looked into it.
  3. Region-free. I believe the 3DS is the only Nintendo handheld that is region locked. The Gameboy, DS, GBA, and Switch are all region free. I have a couple of PAL 3DS games, so it's not a huge deal, but it's nice.
  4. 3DS eshop purchases. Since the 3DS eshop shut down recently, it would be nice to have an offline option to be able to access my purchases in the event Nintendo decides to make my purchases inaccessible some day in the future. I know I can still download my purchases today but insurance for the future.

There's much more functionality and features for those who like to mess around.

1 minute ago, socrates63 said:

The things important to me:

1. Play rom files. I have a little over 200 3DS game. I believe a jailbroken 3DS can dump the rom off of the cartridge onto the SD card. The convenience of playing rom files is nice.
  2. Homebrews. Having a way to play homebrew rom's is very cool. With the Gameboy, GBA, and DS, I have a way to play off of an SD memory card. Having said that, I'm not sure how many compelling 3DS homebrew titles there may be. I haven't looked into it.
  3. Region-free. I believe the 3DS is the only Nintendo handheld that is region locked. The Gameboy, DS, GBA, and Switch are all region free. I have a couple of PAL 3DS games, so it's not a huge deal, but it's nice.
  4. 3DS eshop purchases. Since the 3DS eshop shut down recently, it would be nice to have an offline option to be able to access my purchases in the event Nintendo decides to make my purchases inaccessible some day in the future. I know I can still download my purchases today but insurance for the future.

There's much more functionality and features for those who like to mess around.

Neat!  I'll have to see how hard it is to do that.  I have a 3DS, and being able to play ROM files would make it better for sure (on vacations and such).  Getting an XL version is smart.  I should do the same.

These arrived today.  I'm excited!

IMG_20230506_115300.jpg.0794b1a84901de6b75e5fd6cefa677b0.jpg

Some of the boxes look rough but the games inside are brand new.  Pac-Man is the most interesting to me because it looks like the bottom was purposely opened to remove something like maybe a catalog.  Its the only one that looks like that. The others you can tell were simply crushed.

3 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Thank you.  I was afraid I was going to have to take it to the E.R. and have a cast put on it.  Lol.  Pac-Man has a broken butt.

Could you imagine trying to explain that to a doctor?  

"Hey, Doc!  My friend needs help."

If I did that they'd probably be admitting me to the nut hut.

9 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm going to guess that most doctors have seen stuff they never imagined they would. 

Oh, I can share stories.  Sometimes it is quite difficult to keep a straight face either because what you are being old is too absurd, too stupid, too funny, or just plain idiotic.

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Posted your latest/recent pickup!"

OniDensetsu was awarded the badge 'Pickup Artist' and 10 points.

Got me one of those Jaguar today. Got lucky in an auction. The unit 2 controllers & OEM power. Can't wait to try out this beast!
I repaired one a few years ago for a friend. Now i got my own to tinker on.

IMG_1367.jpg

FwDKALkacAA7pOc.jpg

Mail Call:  I just received my copy of Garbage Pail Kids: Mad Mike and the Quest for Stale Gum from iam8bit!  I love the digital version on Steam and I'm so happy to have the physical release.  Only 4,000 were made and only one in eight (500) are the pink "stale gum" cart.  Those were randomly shipped so I lucked out!

FwDJ_W9aEAAh6Mx.jpg

FwDJ-0xakAE6fej.jpg

I have an addition to my Synapse collection -- Blue Max 2001. I'm not sure why I never knew about this game back in the day since I was a big Blue Max fan.

This is my 13th Synapse game, most for the Atari and a few for the C64. Like this one, some Synapse games contain both the Atari and C64 versions on the same floppy (different sides).

I think in terms of the box, this one is in the best condition. I mean, it's in great condition and looks like it just came off the store shelf.

One of these days, I hope find Alley Cat and maybe Rainbow Walker for a decent price.

IMG_0512.jpeg.5f2a7aaf3f1a10b56cf64a9ecf41cd5a.jpeg

@RickR I haven't played this one yet. I'm not too sure that the disk will even read. It's wavy, so maybe heat damage?

Regardless, I actually need to set up my 800XL along with all the consoles that will be connected to my new-to-me Sony TV. Now that I'm healthy again (dealt with back issues and sciatica the past ten months), next month, I am hoping to set up my office where the CRTs will sit. I got shelves for the room last year but they're still in the boxes unopened.