Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

Mail call from Good Deal Games -- some text adventures and arcade action.

GDG production value certainly doesn't compare to AtariAge -- amateur grade versus professional. But that amateur hobbyist quality grade has a charm of its own and reminds me of earlier times. Just look at Goblin Chaser. If that doesn't recall the early years of D&D then I don't know what will. I am also intrigued by the idea of playing text adventures on consoles of all things and wanted to check it out.

IMG_0809.jpeg.0bd26d7f45f7f99aa04fd6518e5bc7da.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg.044ff650877ed8749254c8028c17bed7.jpeg

Mail call from Germany -- I ordered boxes for three game cartridges that I have and two more for games (Last Starfighter, Crazy Otto) that I recently ordered from AtariAge where a box wasn't available as an option, and for Venetian Blinds which I am looking to get a repro cartridge made.

These were purchased on Etsy from Marc Oberhäuser's store AtariGameBoxes. He makes game boxes for the AtariAge store. I purchased several from him in the past. Now that he has an Etsy store, it's a simpler buying process.

I'm a slave to the cardboard 😂

IMG_0820.jpeg.4cf73a9ad036a023f8edeed3f2d0c1f3.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg.3afe1563c2b872e6fd2bd9c20502c6db.jpeg

A member of the local gaming group yesterday offered up two CX52 controllers for free. He wasn't sure whether they worked or not. I stopped by his house this afternoon and picked up a pair of CX52 in very nice condition.

I gave them a brief test by navigating the menu of my AtariMax cartridge and trying to start a game. On both controllers, the stick and number pad worked fine but the fire button did not seem to register. I'll probably send them to Best Electronics to exchange them for Best's reconditioned ones (although I already have a pair from Best).

I have to say that to my eyes, the 5200 controllers are the best looking of all 80s controllers in this form factor. Just like the SuperSystem itself, they are the pinnacle of 80s design aesthetics. Yes, I'm an Atari 5200 fanboy 🙂

IMG_0829.jpeg.da70eca4a37e969495ab8f78d46cc4b1.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg.9f9fbb83575c664b41478b6974b0fe40.jpeg

On 7/22/2023 at 7:16 PM, socrates63 said:

A member of the local gaming group yesterday offered up two CX52 controllers for free. He wasn't sure whether they worked or not. I stopped by his house this afternoon and picked up a pair of CX52 in very nice condition.

I gave them a brief test by navigating the menu of my AtariMax cartridge and trying to start a game. On both controllers, the stick and number pad worked fine but the fire button did not seem to register. I'll probably send them to Best Electronics to exchange them for Best's reconditioned ones (although I already have a pair from Best).

I have to say that to my eyes, the 5200 controllers are the best looking of all 80s controllers in this form factor. Just like the SuperSystem itself, they are the pinnacle of 80s design aesthetics. Yes, I'm an Atari 5200 fanboy 🙂

IMG_0829.jpeg.da70eca4a37e969495ab8f78d46cc4b1.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg.9f9fbb83575c664b41478b6974b0fe40.jpeg

There is another option to get them working again...that would cost less and you could do it yourself...

https://atarirepairparts.com/

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

22 hours ago, RickR said:

Bookmarked.  I did not know about this one.  I'm very grateful that you shared it -- thanks!

It is new and I only learned about this weekend. I've placed an order for 2 sets of them to check them out. As I know who owns the site I have the utmost faith in the seller and the product will likely be quality to boot.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections