Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

I have had a red label fetish lately.  That collection has increased.

16924409164996873426355504095220.jpg.90561b76a74a2bd5df2584534fb377ea.jpg

Some of them I have as other titles or publishers but I'm after the red labels because of they are related to the junior model directly.  It is because of the junior models that these red labels even exist...or so it seems.  Its also nice to have the variations of similar games. 

On 8/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, socrates63 said:

I picked up a batch of Famicom cartridges from a local gamer/reseller. I find the Famicom cartridge colors and labels fascinating, and I generally buy them for that reason. I got this batch because of Choplifter, Galaxian, Popeye, Lode Runner, and Tetris. The rest looked interesting enough.

IMG_0884.jpeg.8ef483f622c8fe84b19664ee95a9c922.jpeg

I also had another local gamer service my Genesis and SNES. I haven't put much time with them, but what little time I did have really impressed me, especially the Genesis. I heard that the Model 2 benefits from the triple bypass audio upgrade, so I got that in addition to have it recapped. A couple of years ago, I bought the cheapest SNES that was offered by a local reseller. It was a little gross looking--a bit dingy and yellowed. At the time, I didn't care because I was only intending to play one game on it (NBA Jam TE). Now that I'm getting more into it, I decided to give it a makeover with a new clear shell and recapped. The old case was given the retrobrite treatment and came out looking pretty nice.

IMG_0885.JPG.814255acefe171e36c2523af08d49ff6.JPG

IMG_0888.jpeg.de2cbe052ca6688b710d300982913070.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg.3e8203ae11b8977910f5275f88f01f9a.jpeg

I've been after Choplifter, Tiger-Heli, and Galaxian for my FC.  Not that they are hard to come by.  I just haven't been ready to blow money on them yet.  Sweet shell!!

7 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I've been after Choplifter, Tiger-Heli, and Galaxian for my FC.  Not that they are hard to come by.  I just haven't been ready to blow money on them yet.  Sweet shell!!

I had been eyeing ebay for Galaxian in particular, and then this lot came up. I paid $50 for the lot so just a few bucks per cart. There are a few local gamers who from time to time sell FC and SFC cartridges, and because the prices are usually very good, I usually pick up a few mostly because I think the FC and SFC cartridges are so cool.

3 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Ah, cool.  I be those went fast!

Surprisingly, it took a few days for all ten to be sold. Hope to see you again at PRGE.

7 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Some of them I have as other titles or publishers but I'm after the red labels because of they are related to the junior model directly.  It is because of the junior models that these red labels even exist...or so it seems.  Its also nice to have the variations of similar games. 

I had no idea that the red boxes had a connection to the Jr. The more you know--thanks!

4 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I had no idea that the red boxes had a connection to the Jr. The more you know--thanks!

yes! its not so much the 2600 jr. as it's the 2600 in general after Jack Tramiel relaunched the Atari systems in 1986. just like how 2600 and 5200 game boxes had identical designs but different colors in 1982, they did the same thing with the 2600 and 7800 in 1986. 7800 games came in silver boxes, and 2600 games came in red boxes. they all matched and were easy to tell the difference. here are some examples, the 2600 and 7800 boxes are the same design but different color

lance  :nintendo_professor_hector:

www.atarisales.com

post-23318-0-96243100-1365869897-3320379809.jpeg

b_SecretQuest_Red_front-3711663063.jpeg

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

9 hours ago, Video 61 said:

yes! its not so much the 2600 jr. as it's the 2600 in general after Jack Tramiel relaunched the Atari systems in 1986. just like how 2600 and 5200 game boxes had identical designs but different colors in 1982, they did the same thing with the 2600 and 7800 in 1986. 7800 games came in silver boxes, and 2600 games came in red boxes. they all matched and were easy to tell the difference. here are some examples, the 2600 and 7800 boxes are the same design but different color

lance  :nintendo_professor_hector:

www.atarisales.com

post-23318-0-96243100-1365869897-3320379809.jpeg

b_SecretQuest_Red_front-3711663063.jpeg

Well.  Learned something new.  I always had the impression it was to coincide with the Junior release and design.  I've been looking for a junior box to put mine in.  Just the boxes empty can be expensive these days. 

Man! I haven't seen it heard of a Venture store in forever.  It was one of my family's favorite stops when we use to visit Springfield, MO.  Lots of stuff and really was not that expensive.  Always had things Wal-Mart did not have and was where mist of my 5200 game collection BITD came from.

If we were going to get a new game for the 5200 Wal-Mart was not the place to go.  They sucked at supporting the system.  For every one 5200 game there was at least five 2600 titles.  They gave a mediocre ten pegs divided into two rows for 5200 games.  So we usually ended up going to Springfield.  Once there the usual stops were Battlefield Mall, Venture, Toys R Us, and K-Mart. Most of the time Ventures had what we were after.  And $13 was probably cheaper than other stores as was common with the store. I'd buy I at that price.  Beats the $100 price of digital games today.

Mail call: The Sydney Hunter Collection from CollectorVision Games.

I've been looking forward to this since its announcement. I loved Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan on the Atari VCS and can't wait to explore these Sydney Hunter titles on my Evercade.

Screenshot_20230823_155020_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Posted your latest/recent pickup!"

Sabertooth was awarded the badge 'Pickup Artist' and 10 points.

I am happy to get the limited edition of Atari Archive Vol 1: 1977-1978 by Kevin Bunch and published by Press Run Books.  

The book covers the first two years of the Atari 2600 and provides important historical context for its development and the nascent home videogame market.

The limited edition is numbered, comes with a signed certificate, slipcase, papercraft diorama and poster.

My initial copy was damaged so this is a replacement. #99 of 750.

Screenshot_20230824_112256_Instagram~2.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

Not a latest pick up but I found this inside my Missile Command.

IMG_20230827_095743.jpg.99fb380e1b5aeb0a02e1ccf5bf7d7fca.jpgI feel guilty now that I opened my Missile Command.  But I can't help but feel I've seen the art style I this catalogue so.e where else on TV or something. It looks familiar.  

I also want to join...

IMG_20230827_095828.jpg.6d98fb39b7760160e711f6458a5923f7.jpg

Only $1 for a year!!!  Who's with me?

33 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

This is a fun game.  I played it in the arcade but never go the home port.  I did get the hack done in AA that uses true Trak-Ball control!

Ohhh interesting I wasn’t aware there was a hack for that! Seems like it would make the game quite a bit more fun. Don’t recall ever seeing this one in arcades but I bet it’s a blast!

Mail delivery today!! The delivery guy had his hands full! IMG_4134.jpeg.50ee495dd20e26f9364d6753ce15407d.jpeg

This neat-o hat from recent Atari.com purchase..

IMG_4131.jpeg.9e706367dbff00c7bf22837ae2fee76f.jpeg

…a neat-o controller as I get ready to lose a few hundred hours of my life to Starfield…

IMG_4133.jpeg.1bd9dea15ac92fcf0a7428c5b2edd66f.jpeg

…and a whole stack of games purchased from a friendly Atarian! Circus has always been one of my favorites, so that’s an easy win.  Basic Math and Outlaw are also very familiar experiences. The rest getting revisited here soon - playing some Human Cannonball now!

Now at the point where there is no more bookshelf space for all this old cardboard - anybody have any IKEA product recommendations?? 😅

2 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

Ohhh interesting I wasn’t aware there was a hack for that! Seems like it would make the game quite a bit more fun. Don’t recall ever seeing this one in arcades but I bet it’s a blast!

Unfortunately, it is no longer available.  Al had added Trak-Ball series games that included Reactor, Star Wars The Arcade Game, Missile Command, Centipede, and a couple of other games.  All were hacked to work with true Trak-Ball control.  Makes the games more fun!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

:mac_alert:  Heads up: I'll be splitting our conversations about Stargate vs. Defender II, and Gauntlet vs. Dark Chambers vs. Dandy into new topics.

Not because any of those discussions are "off-topic" - they're fantastic and I want to encourage deep dive conversations to spawn from our recent pickups - that's the point, to show your latest pickups and have those branch into new conversations. Sometimes the conversations that stem from recent pickups are interesting enough to be their own thread. I want to foster those conversations here, and if occasionally we split them off into their own Topic, that's a big win for everybody.