Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

Here's my recent 2600 pick-up that caused a little drama on Facebook where I shared it the other day. First off, I love getting cartridges from Repentless Video Games. Pete makes very high quality cartridge labels--as good as the ones put out by AtariAge, in my opinion. I have nearly twenty cartridges from Repentless. They are almost all hacks of other games. My favorite are the Space Invader hacks. COVID-19 Invaders was a fun Space Invaders hack that I played during the pandemic 😂 

About the drama, I follow Repentless on Facebook, and every once in a while, Pete posts a cartridge that is available in his Etsy store. He usually has one cartridge available whenever he puts up a listing (you can also reach out to him to create something for you that's not currently listed). I picked up Shield Shifter and Coke Wins through two separate orders that were placed about a week apart. Coke Wins arrived the other day, and Pete also sent me a (belated) birthday gift.

In my excitement, I shared a photo of these in a FB homebrew group. Michael from GoodDealGames called out that the art on Shield Shifter was his and alleged that Pete removed his store's logo. To cut to the chase, to me, it seems to be a misunderstanding or different readings of the information available online with regards to the distribution of this game--let's agree to disagree and move on. I took down the post to eliminate any further confusion. Pete doesn't plan to make more and mine was a one-off sale. He did tell me that he has more that were included in a lot that he bought years ago (those also don't have the GDG store logo). I choose to take him at his word. Michael does still make them and offer them for sale in his store. His store makes the claim that he has exclusive distribution rights.

Anyway, on to the games and enjoying this venerable gaming hardware. I really appreciate the attention to detail and the quality of the cartridges from Repentless. I've purchased from couple other stores and the quality of the cartridge label (not talking about the art) itself is also found wanting.

IMG_0723.jpeg.f7e3dea3f818c32fd006692bea278cc9.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

This NOS came in the mail yesterday 🧡

My lady and I are big fans of the arcade so I’m super curious to see how the 2600 port does at replicating the experience.

”Vibrant screens and colors!”  “Bursting with spirited challenge!”  “Arcade-like sounds effects!” 

IMG_3985.jpeg

This was "my" Dig Dug growing up. I have so much nostalgia for the silver box era of arcade ports; particularly those handled by GCC. It's quite remarkable what they were able to do with the 2600.

Let us know what you think!

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

This was "my" Dig Dug growing up. I have so much nostalgia for the silver box era of arcade ports; particularly those handled by GCC. It's quite remarkable what they were able to do with the 2600.

Let us know what you think!

I agree completely!  After the horridness of 2600 Pac Man and Defender, I gave up on the 2600 and moved on to the VIC-20 and then the Atari 800XL.  It was these silver boxed games that brought me back to the 2600 for a period.  Dig Dug, Joust, Jr Pac Man were so good!  And it helped to find them on clearance at Kay-Bee!!

Edited by RickR

My recent pick-up -- all imports except for one.

I got pretty excited finding MLB 07 The Show for the PS2 at the local game store for $3. I don't think I ever got this excited for a $3 game. I am now only missing MLB 16 The Show. Maybe I should go back and get the MLB series released on the original PlayStation--collector goals 😂

As for the PS2 imports, I got most of them out of curiosity. I have a modded PS2 that can play games for all regions and found that there are quite a few PAL or JP exclusives.

IMG_0766.jpeg.96dcd25638d2f015f36e2bb34c96b685.jpeg

On 7/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, Smell Dawg said:

That looks pretty slick!  Knowing there hasn't been enough time for a proper verdict, what do you think of if based on your first few glances??

Oh, this book looks awesome.  Nice mix of text to read and pictures.  Love the layouts of the pages too.  Definitely worth the $$$.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

UPS dropped this off yesterday afternoon while I was cleaning a 7800 case shell...

ITC_AA_BigBox_Mailcall_72023.jpg.5168f05c0d921bfd3b3a8e65b549319a.jpg

Inside, it contained a treasure trove of wonderous items to behold! And has created a huge challenge for me to find places where all of it will go!!!

ITC_AA_Mailcall1_72023.jpg.bb75f3cf30209ccf957bce42aa5bf290.jpg

Better pics of what arrived...

ITC_AA_Mailcall_72023.jpg.771148b3052954b6ca4f24d4d373fffb.jpg

The cart only stuff below is the 32k enhanced version of Zaxxon (Part of the store sale that will be going away soon), and then I got dedicated test cartridges for use in console services. I've been using flash carts to do this for the past 5+ years and finally decided I needed Al to make me carts for the 5200. He hasn't offered the 5200 PAM diagnostics before but I believe he will be adding them to the store soon. I designed the labels on them but not sure he will continue to use those going forward or not. I also had him assemble those 5200 carts withOUT spring loaded dust doors on them. Reason is because most of the time when using them, you are likely to have the top cover removed on the 5200 while servicing it. Well, the pegs for the dust doors are actually part of the top shell molding so without that top cover, the carts can't be inserted easily. Without those dust covers, I can pop these carts into place without issue.

ITC_AA_Mailcall3_72023.jpg.82a03b64478547be66262c38f4b451a6.jpg

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections