Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

I picked up a batch of Famicom cartridges from a local gamer/reseller. I find the Famicom cartridge colors and labels fascinating, and I generally buy them for that reason. I got this batch because of Choplifter, Galaxian, Popeye, Lode Runner, and Tetris. The rest looked interesting enough.

IMG_0884.jpeg.8ef483f622c8fe84b19664ee95a9c922.jpeg

I also had another local gamer service my Genesis and SNES. I haven't put much time with them, but what little time I did have really impressed me, especially the Genesis. I heard that the Model 2 benefits from the triple bypass audio upgrade, so I got that in addition to have it recapped. A couple of years ago, I bought the cheapest SNES that was offered by a local reseller. It was a little gross looking--a bit dingy and yellowed. At the time, I didn't care because I was only intending to play one game on it (NBA Jam TE). Now that I'm getting more into it, I decided to give it a makeover with a new clear shell and recapped. The old case was given the retrobrite treatment and came out looking pretty nice.

IMG_0885.JPG.814255acefe171e36c2523af08d49ff6.JPG

IMG_0888.jpeg.de2cbe052ca6688b710d300982913070.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg.3e8203ae11b8977910f5275f88f01f9a.jpeg

@RickR I don't have a Famicom but I picked up the 60-to-72 pin adapter by Hyperkin. But the stupid thing isn't working 🙁 Instructions say to press the reset button 4-8 times if the game doesn't start. I tried four cartridges and none of them are working. That's disappointing. I may need to buy the adapter from the guy that sold me the Famicom cartridges.

Update: The adapter got so many good review so I went and read a few. One particular reviewer shared the fix and I've confirmed that it works:

It doesn’t state this on the box or the inserts included inside, but you need to place the famicom cartridge backwards, with the cover art facing the opposite of the top loader or “toaster” loader. Placing the cartridge the same way will not work and you’ll be left scratching your head. There’s a bit of a crunchy sound when inserting the cartridge but it works fine if you follow the proper way to insert the cartridge. Also works on Retron/Classiq II clone systems, as well as actual NES systems. There are a few caveats such as sound effects not being exactly perfect or the audio being slightly muted, but it’s a small price to pay to enjoy playing Famicom games.

Edited by socrates63

Ordered this about a week ago and got it in yesterday. This might just be the quickest I've ever bought something from LRG to have it arrive a week later. Though to be fair these were already made up and ready to be sent so...

But yeah I picked up the PS4 version of Blade Runner enhanced. I own the original PC game and have since it was new back in '97 but having a way to play it more comfortably on my much larger display in the game room is always preferred. 

This version is the VHS edition of the release that was apparently only available during the San Diego Comic Con and this is from the left overs they had after the convention. Very nice presentation overall as it comes in a VHS like slip cover that even has artificial wear along the edges like VHS covers would develop over the years. Inside that is a box that looks like a VHS tape that contained the standard PS4 release of the game along with a cool steel book case you can put the game into instead.

br_ps4en_vhsed.jpg.ea97cec2276b5d65f639e4b52b1395ca.jpg

I was able to spend a bit of time playing it last night and it isn't without its issues. (I knew this before buying it). The video cinematics have some stuttering issues that seems odd considering I have an SSD installed into my PS4 and there is an odd pause hitch that occurs constantly when playing the game in that just moving the cursor around will occasionally make it pause for a second as you move it. Kinda annoying but nothing that has been serious to game play as yet. I was still able to score 49 points in the shooting range in the game the first time I played through it so the controls aren't that bad.

The enhanced art however is a very mixed bag. In the cinematics where they have enhanced it, it looks good and seems to run at 60fps now vs the 30 or whatever the originals did. But on the actual gameplay screens, the enhanced graphics seemed to obscure some texture details more than the originals provided even though the original graphics are quite jagged and have quite a bit of noise in their image compression vs the enhanced. I think what they did was apply some AI upscaling on the original graphics and basically did a single pass of it and called it good enough? Not sure but I'm still enjoying the game all the same!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

48 minutes ago, RickR said:

Very nice to know there is an adapter, thanks!  I assume it doesn't work with a front-loader NES though, right?  Top loader or fake NES (like Retron)?

There is a picture of them showing how you use with the front loader? So I assume it does work, you just can't press the cartridge down. Kinda like how it was using a Game Genie back in the day.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Very nice to know there is an adapter, thanks!  I assume it doesn't work with a front-loader NES though, right?  Top loader or fake NES (like Retron)?

The instructions say it works with a front loader. There is a ribbon attached to the adapter that you pull on to remove it from the front loader. I have a top loader NES, so no problem there. I would expect it work on a Retron since it's a Hyperkin product as well.

This is the cheapest adapter I found that was made by a reputable company. I've seen other adapters go for $25-$30.

5 hours ago, socrates63 said:

The instructions say it works with a front loader. There is a ribbon attached to the adapter that you pull on to remove it from the front loader. I have a top loader NES, so no problem there. I would expect it work on a Retron since it's a Hyperkin product as well.

This is the cheapest adapter I found that was made by a reputable company. I've seen other adapters go for $25-$30.

I have one I got from Stone Age gamer back in the day, I think, though my memory is hazy these days. 😂

I had a Famiclone from QVC back in like 2003 that I used for Famicom games too. It was all contained in like an N64 controlled looking thing. Was great, but started smoking and burned up a few months ago. 😅 So be careful about cheap Famiclones. After 20+ years might catch fire. 

Edited by Jinroh

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

Fire? Yikes! Hope nothing else was damaged @Jinroh

I thought about getting a Famicom because they look cool but decided to go with the adapter to save shelf space. There's a local reseller who was featured in a MetalJesusRocks video, and he's got all things Japanese. I'd probably check with him if I decided to get the real deal. I got my PCEngine from him. 

3 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Fire? Yikes! Hope nothing else was damaged @Jinroh

I thought about getting a Famicom because they look cool but decided to go with the adapter to save shelf space. There's a local reseller who was featured in a MetalJesusRocks video, and he's got all things Japanese. I'd probably check with him if I decided to get the real deal. I got my PCEngine from him. 

Very cool. 🙂 Local sellers are best. Nothing else damaged, just annoying the machine died. 

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Got these this week...

Atari2600(164).jpg.5eadf78ef51751f6164f89a254701cad.jpg

Books(250).jpg.7029c93ff9a579315a4c01cb65f2a667.jpg

These are not new but the boxes are.  I did not have them but they were recently made available...

NES(78).jpg.ab730df4d7458d2d13e77d83248e2b09.jpg

NES(81).jpg.fd3f5907ba7549b233dbc79dbb1e7ccc.jpg

Great pickups. I remember those NES ones from the old NintendoAge forum. LucasArts too always best is that a book on LucasArts games? 

25 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

Great pickups. I remember those NES ones from the old NintendoAge forum. LucasArts too always best is that a book on LucasArts games? 

Thank you.  Yes, that is a book of LucasArts games.  It was published by Cote Gamers.  It may still be available.  Mine has the box as well as some posters.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

18 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Thank you.  Yes, that is a book of LucasArts games.  It was published by Cote Gamers.  It may still be available.  Mine has the box as well as some posters.

Very cool, I will have to check it out! 🙂

7 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

A few more titles in: Well familiar with Canyon Bomber; have only barely tried out Bowling in the past; no experience with Slot Racers!

Capture.JPG

Good pickups! 😄 I used to love that bowling game! Those boxes are very nice, considering their age.

I thought I would share one of my recent acquisitions.  I have been after this one for a long time and finally found it.

image0.jpeg.3f3a65575eb04198195f25dfdc2bf279.jpeg

The game is in excellent condition...brand new. Very nice, glossy label.  The box top, however, looked ripped off as is usually common.  Otherwise the game is in great condition.  I have more which I will share later.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:09 AM, Smell Dawg said:

A few more titles in: Well familiar with Canyon Bomber; have only barely tried out Bowling in the past; no experience with Slot Racers!

Capture.JPG

I love these older 2600 games.  They are so cool to look at and play.  Slot Racers sort of reminds me of Dodge 'Em.

16 hours ago, Jinroh said:

Good pickups! 😄 I used to love that bowling game! Those boxes are very nice, considering their age.

Had a good time with Bowling yesterday evening!  I'm currently reading through "Racing the Beam", and it was Robinett's comments (something to the tune of "I used a lot of what I learned in Slot Racers while making Adventure") which led me to seek out Slot Racers.  It's neat, but not a great single-player experience 😅

I like to pick up the boxed copies of games before playing them, in an effort to emulate the game-buying experience of yesteryears. But I'm not interested in paying for grade-A condition, so they've been coming in all kinds of conditions.  Slot Racers, for instance, looks like somebody dipped the box in vegetable oil! 😀

Between reading "Racing the Beam" and "Adventure: The Atari 2600 at the Dawn of Console Gaming", and paging through "Atari Archive Vol 1" (brought to my attention by the esteemed TrekMD), it's been very enjoyable revisiting all of these titles!

4 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I thought I would share one of my recent acquisitions.  I have been after this one for a long time and finally found it.

The game is in excellent condition...brand new. Very nice, glossy label.  The box top, however, looked ripped off as is usually common.  Otherwise the game is in great condition.  I have more which I will share later.

Nice!!  The Volleyball and Basketball variations always elicits some chortles, and the FoosPong games are some of my favorite 😀. So far haven't been successful in getting the lady of the house interested in this sort of stuff though, so single-player isn't great 😆

4 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

For a minute I thought you had a 1986+ red end label on a cartridge from Warner VCS color box! Then I zoomed in and realized it must be red light from the TV reflecting off of the cartridge. Had my jaw drop for a second!

16 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

Nice!!  The Volleyball and Basketball variations always elicits some chortles, and the FoosPong games are some of my favorite 😀. So far haven't been successful in getting the lady of the house interested in this sort of stuff though, so single-player isn't great 😆

Yea...I know the feeling.  My wife doesn't understand my video game passion. But the 2600 does play a mean game of Pong so I'm happy with it.

12 hours ago, Justin said:

For a minute I thought you had a 1986+ red end label on a cartridge from Warner VCS color box! Then I zoomed in and realized it must be red light from the TV reflecting off of the cartridge. Had my jaw drop for a second!

Sorry for that.  I did not know there was another variation.  I learned something new. It is a Warner release though and not a Jack release.

10 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

Yesterday's mail present - I was getting so energetically into this game that the lady was rolling her eyes at me 😆. "It's just a tennis game!"

20230817_005940269_iOS.jpg.ecc06eb0215b0f682a36b19b4bda35a3.jpg

That's not just Tennis.  Just Tennis is the sport watched on TV.  That is a very important Activision title. 😁