Squad Challenge - Donkey Kong (NES)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Donkey Kong
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game B
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST September 14, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between September 1st through September 14th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Donkey Kong with Game B, which provides "Expert" level challenge.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 107th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're playing one of the most classic video games of all time - Donkey Kong - on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Do you have what it takes to defeat bad luck with the barrels, dodge aggressive fireballs and cage that wily ape? ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: We have a supreme lineup of games coming your way for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

September: An Atari Lynx game

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games in 2022! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Donkey Kong.pdf

55 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Thanks for posting the manual @Justin.

You're welcome! If you guys have trouble acquiring a ROM send me a PM. We haven't been including Nintendo ROMS in our NES and SNES Squad Challenges since Nintendo has really been cracking down. Donkey Kong for NES is common enough that it should be readily available to anybody who wants to play :donkey_kong:

57 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

According to Wikipedia, the character started her life with the name Lady and later changed to Pauline.

I spent years calling her "Princess Peach" which is dumb 🤦‍♂️ 🥴

Going live with my attempt

Best from the stream: 49,000, which you can see around the 25 minute mark.

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

11 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

OK, I just played a quick game.  Here is my score...

Quick game, you say? I've been trying since this challenge started and only managed 39k, and you nonchalantly play a quick game and blow past my score 🤣 😄 I suck 😂 I'm not much of a platform gamer. Great start @TrekMD 👍