Atari 2600 Games That Never Get Old!

MaximumRD

Ooooh, I see that Asteroids is it a couple lists here (certainly not a surprise from sramirez2008, ha)!  Admittedly, it was the single most-played home title on the 2600 for me long ago.  Recent years, though, have seen many home solutions to playing the arcade Asteroids.  This weekend, even, I put in several sessions on Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe on an A1Up machine.  So I openly wonder to the group - what makes the 2600 version never get old? 

48 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

So I openly wonder to the group - what makes the 2600 version never get old? 

For me, Asteroids was that one game that blew my mind back in the early 80's.  I don't think anyone expected such a great version of the game on the 2600.  64 versions to explore and have fun with too.

Asteroids is in my top 10 definitely.  

1 hour ago, Smell Dawg said:

Ooooh, I see that Asteroids is it a couple lists here (certainly not a surprise from sramirez2008, ha)!  Admittedly, it was the single most-played home title on the 2600 for me long ago.  Recent years, though, have seen many home solutions to playing the arcade Asteroids.  This weekend, even, I put in several sessions on Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe on an A1Up machine.  So I openly wonder to the group - what makes the 2600 version never get old? 

Asteroids was very popular in my area.  I do remember the 2600 Asteroids flying off the shelves rather quickly when I would look at those shelves behind the counter, wishing for an Atari.

Fast forward to the NES era and every 2600 bundle mom and I would find at yard sales had Asteroids and Space Invaders guaranteed. The 2600 got really good ports of both games IMO.

Missile Command was one game that didn’t really matter which Atari system you played it on.  The 2600 got just as good of a port of that game as the 5200 and A8 got.  Really well done.

43 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

It was one of the 2600 games that closely resembled the coin-op. If you have a Starplex controller, you can use it with Asteroids to get that arcade like feel.

Oooh, good call.  The multi-button layout is indeed one of my favorite parts about the arcade.  I don't recognize the Starplex controller, but that would definitely bring the experience home! 

Lots of great recommendations in that video! I think I've played less than half of them.

Here's a list of some of my favorites. I think I've played less than 20 Atari 2600 games from back in the day. Some of these became my favorites when I played them during the I/O high score competition.

No Asteroids and Yars on my list 😂 Don't hate me.

Originals

• Beamrider (I think the 2600 version looks better than the 5200 version)
  • Stampede
  • Demon Attack
  • Mines of Minos
  • Room of Doom
  • Cosmic Creeps

Arcade conversions

• Galaxian
  • Pac-Man
  • Vanguard
  • Space Invaders

8 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

...So I openly wonder to the group - what makes the 2600 version never get old? 

For me, it's all about the simple game mechanics and that idea of easy to learn but difficult to master. I tend to favor the more twitchy/shooter type games, and there are many on the 2600.

That's where I got lost with modern games and even many games that came shortly after the 2600. I have a hard time mentally with Mario type platform games. I didn't know for a long time that the point of the game was to travel from left to right until you got to a flag pole. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do 😂 As far as more modern games go, the original Assassin's Creed is where I got lost. The game setting and premise really spoke to me, but I could never master the controls. I so much wanted to play AC and Batman series, but my weak 🧠 couldn't do it.

15 hours ago, socrates63 said:

As far as more modern games go, the original Assassin's Creed is where I got lost. The game setting and premise really spoke to me, but I could never master the controls. I so much wanted to play AC and Batman series, but my weak 🧠 couldn't do it.

Hahaha, you and me both, with that one!  I don't recall how much into the first Assassin's Creed I made it, but it wasn't very far.  My lady and I wanted to play through the story of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a few years ago, and oh LORDY were there lots of complex (to me) mechanics in that game.  We finally got the hang of it between the two of us, ha, but can't say it was efficient.

Asteriods is the game that just never seems to get old to me.  I'm guessing, between all the variants combined, that I've spent more time playing it than any other game, ha.  It's simply the 2600 version, specifically, which I don't usually reach for first, is all!

Let's see.  I should probably get back on topic, here. Games that never get old for this guy... In no particular order, here are a few which come to mind immediately:

• Freeway
    • It has everything I need - bright colors, a silly goal, and nostalgia from my brother and I competing on it in decades past.
  • Aquaventure
    • Not sure if this counts, but holy smokes I keep picking this one up!
  • Circus Atari
    • Somehow this mechanic just hasn't been successfully replicated.  Easily my favorite paddle game.  Sorry, Kaboom!
  • Yars' Revenge
    • Difficult to say anything about this which hasn't already been said, ha.

...and that's intentionally leaving out all the great titles I've been discovering and playing this year!  Not to mention some great homebrew titles (I really, really love Tower of Rubble and keep putting sessions into it 😀 ).

This is a wonderful thread. I'm taking part in the Atari 2600 5 Minute Challenge over at TG, and it features 31 games for the Atari 2600. A few of those games have always had some personal replay value, including (in ABC order):

• Enduro
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Phoenix

It's no coincidence that many games listed in this entire thread were designed by Actiivision.

@sramirez2008, it's nice to see a Starplex as I never owned one, nor knew anyone who owned one.

1 hour ago, Marco1019 said:

it's nice to see a Starplex as I never owned one, nor knew anyone who owned one.

I have several. Three CIB and a loose one. I’ve had them for many years. As a lover of Asteroids, I began looking for an Asteroids type controller and that’s how I came across the Starplex. These controllers are very durable. I’ve never had an issue with them. My loose one has been in my collection for 15 years and I’ve used it fairly regularly since day one. I love playing Space Invaders with it and the homebrews Star Castle Arcade L.E.M. 

IMG_1921.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

Btw, if any of you live or travel to New Jersey, Digital Press Videogames is a great store. They actually carry homebrew games from AtariAge and have a great selection of boxed consoles (Atari, Intellivision etc). I purchased one of my CIB Starplex controllers from them and they use to have quite a few in inventory. I also purchased my first Harmony cart from them. I used to travel to NJ quite a bit for work and made it a habit to stop by the store. 

Edited by sramirez2008

I'll go with 6 because I recently recieved a 6 cart holder as a gift and had to prioritize my top six. They are all based on childhood nostalgia. in no particular order:

Q*bert

Dig Dug

Ms. Pac-man

Moon Patrol

Joust

Battlezone

It's interesting, with the exception of Q*Bert, these are all GCC silver label titles.

20231031_092550.jpg

The 2600 version of Pengo is pretty good. When I first picked it up (years ago) I couldn’t stop playing it. There are so many good titles for the 2600.

Btw, Astroblast (Atari’s answer to Intellivisions Astrosmash) can use joystick or paddles and It’s way better with paddles.

IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

One last note on Atari collecting. I highly recommend Leonard Herman’s ABC To The VCS. My edition of the book (which is old) covers over 700 titles including homebrews. The reviews are concise, but provide enough information for you to make a decision on whether/not to try a particular title. It had been out of print, but is now available via Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The new copies include a Forward by Brett Weiss.

IMG_1927.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008