Did you think Atari 2600 Pac-Man was bad when you first got it?

Justin

2 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Thanks, Justin. I reached 5600 and change after I posted the photo. As I mentioned in my intro, I have no gaming skillz. I think I can reach the low 6000s, but 9131 gives perspective and a good target to shoot for. 

And I was even using my 4-way joystick 🕹️

1 hour ago, HDN said:

Thanks, @Justin. I typically play on mode 5 or 6, so it'll take a bit to adjust to the default mode again. According to my high score notebook I keep, my top score on default mode is 7088. I can do better than that.

:pow: If you guys can beat @kamakazi20012's score of 9,131 you can post your new high score in the Scoreboard thread above 

Slowly inching up to the 9k high score... crossed 7k today 🕹️:pac_man:

I just have to say that this thread has helped me to do a complete 180 turnaround on my feelings towards 2600 Pac-Man. My original disappointment in this game as a kid was the strongest memory I had of 2600 gaming. Because of its infamy in my childhood, Atari 2600 Pac-Man was the first 2600 game that I purchased when I got into retro gaming a few years ago. When I spotted a CIB copy at 2017 PRGE, my eyes grew wide and in my mind I said, "You! You!" with an imagined pointing of an accusatory finger. I had it on my shelf to relive my utter childhood disappointment. But now, as a classic gamer, I've come to really love this game and appreciate it for what it offers. I've thoroughly enjoyed playing it this week.

Thanks all for the healing ✌️ 🕊️ My soul is at peace with Atari 2600 Pac-Man.

IMG_1154.thumb.jpeg.11c34f5e3f24f21aa84ed426056878c3.jpeg

Edited by socrates63

@socrates63 I haven't improved any. You might beat me! I've been listening to music or podcasts or youtube when I play and it really seems to help. When my brain is distracted I get into a zen Pac-Man state and perform much better. You might want to try something like that. Might help. Glad to have another member in the 2600 Pac-Man club!

On 4/5/2020 at 2:20 AM, Justin said:

Here's a question for all the original owners who were there on Day 1: Did you think Atari 2600 Pac-Man was bad when you first got it? Was it a huge disappointment out of the box? Or did you enjoy the heck out of playing that game and only later came to realize the rest of the world thought it was bad?

I was probably 5 when I got pac-man on the 2600.  At the time and for years later it was all I knew and played the heck out of it.  Years later I played Ms Pac-man  (arcade version) and was blown away and started dropping quarters for a while.

Good luck!  I was listening to Pac-Man Fever when I made my score.

And while not a bad game it is fun.  I owned the 5200 Pac-Man before I even seen the 2600's Pac-Man.  So, yea, when I seen it for the first time I was shocked.  Over time, though, the 2600 and its games, including Pac-Man, have won me over and I now consider them part of my Atari family and I enjoy everything about them.  I will always be partial to the 5200 because that was my starts as a kid.  And the 2600 at the time only fueled that feeling because all I seen was the visual differences in the games. But the 2600 has proved it can rock it with the best of them.  I play the 2600 a bit more than I do the 5200 only because of games I like to play that are not on the 5200.

I always liked it but I was like 5, or 6 at the time. It was still Pac-man to me. I still love it today. The bonk bonk sounds and music is so nostalgic for me now it's a great game one of my go to games I play often.

Yes you have. I am James Campell on there formerly Jim's Retro Zone. 

15 hours ago, James Campbell Jr. said:

Yes you have. I am James Campell on there formerly Jim's Retro Zone. 

Ah, I thought I recognized you. I think it was a top 5 2600 games list. I don't remember what number one was, but I remember that Star Ship was on there and you talked about never having Space Invaders as a kid.

Well, since you are new here, why not go introduce yourself over at the Atari I/O Clubhouse?

https://forums.atari.io/forum/59-introduce-yourself/

And while you're at it we also have a YouTube community page you could take part in.

https://forums.atari.io/forum/46-youtube-community/

Glad to have you here, @James Campbell Jr.. I think you'll enjoy it. :atari_2600:

No way! I don't think I dislike any game that crossed my path those days. Simply controlling something on TV was enough to excite me. The fact is, it may have been a weird and lesser conversion of the arcade, but it had everything that pac-man had pretty much. In the end, it's differences is what endears me to it to this day where more accurate version are forgotten. Plus, I LOVE the sounds in it!

As a kid it was what it was.  I did notice the flickering get bad from time to time.  But, didn't have much to compare it to.

The sounds weren't better or worse to my ears either.

Please check out my Atari 2600 party favors at https://theloon.itch.io/  

Downloadable games include Upp Plus Plus, Stranglehand, Nitebear on Sleepystreet and more!

On 4/16/2020 at 8:44 PM, TrekMD said:

In case anyone has not seen the Nukey Shay hack that I referred to, there a video of it.  @KenJennings you can still go "gonk, gonk, gonk, gonk" with this version.  😉

Was there some issue with the recording here where it only recorded alternating frames. This happened to me with certain screen recording software.

5 hours ago, peteym5 said:

Was there some issue with the recording here where it only recorded alternating frames. This happened to me with certain screen recording software.

It's not my video, so I'm not sure.  I made my own video that doesn't have the issue video issue but has audio issues. 

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...