Squad Challenge - Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Mario Bros.
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 1
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST May 31st, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between May 15th through May 31st, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Game 1 (1 Player, Fireballs On). Difficulty Switches have no function in this game.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 79th Squad Challenge! We're going back to the beginning of Mario & Luigi's adventure together with Mario Bros. on the Atari 2600! For many people this served as their introduction to the world of Mario and was the first time anybody had heard "Mario Bros." before. Mario Bros. is one of the few games that features two-player simultaneous cooperative play. This means that you and a friend can play together as a team at the same time, which was considered a big deal for the 2600. Amazingly almost all the features from the arcade were preserved in the 2600 version making it one of the more impressive games on the Atari 2600. Game and PDF Instructions are provided below. It's time to kick back, relax, and knock over some shells with that :pow: button! I hope you guys are ready for a new season of High Score Squad and good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Another great Squad Challenge is coming up soon! Expect to play on a game system other than the Atari 2600 next time Thanks for playing, and enjoy!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Mario Bros.binMario Bros.pdf

My first score for this challenge. I haven't played the 2600 version in forever, I always play 7800 or arcade, or occasionally NES versions. This plays a lot better than I remember it playing. The co-op thing is cool too. Learned a few techniques tonight after watching @Atari Creep's Instagram stream.

High Score: 91,200

mario_bros_91200.jpg

5 minutes ago, greenween said:

It's not pretty, but it does play. Absolutely one of my favorite arcade games. I've never really spent any time on this version. Let's rock! 

mario.jpg

Did we send that to you @greenween? I swear we had a 2600 Mario Bros. one where the label was so far gone and so badly stained I felt bad about giving it away in the chat. I might have to ask Professor about this, that looks so familiar.

12 hours ago, greenween said:

LOL, I think you may be right. 🙂 I know I wouldn't have bought it. Hahaha!! 3 years ago roughly?

That would've been 2014 when the forums were new, so about 6 years ago. The more I look at it the more I remember trying to clean that label and it was too far gone. I don't remember if I gave it away as a prize in Wednesday Night Chat or if I gave it to The Professor to give away, I know we did a few 2600 Mario Bros. giveaways. Great to see it ended up in good hands and is being used! :nintendo_mario_sidestepper:

I think this port preserves a lot of the arcade elements and is a great effort.  The core gameplay is  there but some concessions are made due to the limitations of the hardware.  The ability to "kill" fireballs, take out multiple enemies for score multipliers, and the "bounce" effect are all missing.  I played the 7800 and NES ports tonight after work and the differences are pretty stark.  Its good for what it is though and a fair bit better than something like Atari's Pac-Man or Coleco's efforts with 2600 Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.  

Also, @RickR - Did GCC do this?  I thought it was Dan Hitchens at Atari.  He did some other titles like Berzerk, SwordQuest Earthworld, and Gravitar.  All pretty good games too for the time.