Squad Challenge - Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)

Justin

The way I got my highest scores so far is to stay on level 9 as long as possible and keep getting the "slipice" enemies. I thought at first that the slipice spawned endlessly, but it turns out they stop after a long while (I'm guessing after disposing of 255 of them, but I haven't actually kept count). That's gotten me to about 200,000, but judging by the higher scores there are clearly more strategies.

4 hours ago, Justin said:

For me, there are two or three things going, and if you're lucky, they can overlap at the right moments. Ultimately though it's just playing as long as possible and racking up as many points as you can without getting killed.

My biggest suggestion: Watch out for those fireballs!

If there was one thing in this game I'd like to give Mario it's a baseball bat.

Hey everyone. I just rolled the score past 1,000,000 points. A video is provided below showing the score roll over. It's a few seconds long, but you can see the score roll and it's the best I could do playing the game with one hand and holding my cellphone in the other, trying to capture the score roll over. I've also put up a picture I took of my game at 925,800 points while I was still playing.

Yes, I'm getting Slipice. No, he is not unlimited. He runs out after a while, so you can't go on forever collecting infinity Slipice. Fireballs still kill you, enemies still eat you alive, you're still going to make mistakes and die and the game is still relentless and you still have to be good to get a good score. There are other things going on at the same time that are like different ingredients baked into the "cake" that has become my strategy.

I'm going to stick with this score for now. You'll see in the video I had more than six lives built up and I could've kept playing another 30 mins, but I turned the game off after I captured the score rolling over. I feel like I've played enough for tonight and I still have things I need to wrap up before bed. I'd also rather have one of you beat this score. It can be done and I know all of you guys have the skill to put all of the puzzle pieces together.

High Score: 1,000,200

Mario_Bros_925800.jpg