Yes, I in fact DO play some modern games on occasion, here are some examples, how about you?

MaximumRD

Obviously, I am a huge retro games player whether for nostalgia or just reliving classics or discovering new ones for the first time I may of missed out on BUT....

When my mind is not dwelling on a million other things or I am not doing something else and I can take a moment to escape THESE are some of the more modern games I've dipped my toes into over the past little while, not listed of course emulation, game DEMOS and Indie games etc. 🤷‍♂️🎮 Sure by now some younger people might certainly consider even some of these "CLASSICS" so I guess we are talking games long after the 8-16-32 bit era 😝

404347092_10161802286348109_3194884543122161097_n.jpg

What about you all? Have you enjoyed any "modern" titles lately? 🤔

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Your list includes a couple titles that have been on my radar for years, but still haven’t yet dug into!  

How are you liking No Man’s Sky? It captured me HARD when I tried it (two years ago now, so didn’t include Echoes at the time). Had me for three straight months, ha. The seamless interplanetary travel is incredible!

My recently dabbled “modern” games are Starfield and Mario Wonder. I’m a statistic, I know, ha.  About 1/3rd through the new Haunted House game, and regularly perform failing runs with Noita. I watch the lady play Lies of P - that’s an intriguing game to see, but the gameplay is above my ability levels, ha!

Edited by Smell Dawg

35 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

Your list includes a couple titles that have been on my radar for years, but still haven’t yet dig into!  

How are you liking No Man’s Sky? It captured me HARD when I tried it (two years ago now, so didn’t include Echoes at the time). Had me for three straight months, ha. The seamless interplanetary travel is incredible!

My recently dabbled “modern” games are Starfield and Mario Wonder. I’m a statistic, I know, ha.  About 1/3rd through the new Haunted House game, and regularly perform failing runs with Noita. I watch the lady play Lies of P - that’s an intriguing game to see, but the gameplay is above my ability levels, ha!

You picked the ONE title I have yet to even start, I avoided it for years with all the negative talk but picked it up recently after hearing how much it has improved, watching some gameplay videos etc. Not sure when I will get to it. I just started THE INVINCIBLE, I think I like it, it won't be for everyone, it's from a book I've not read but the art style and atmosphere are cool, it's a pretty laid-back game compared to the others, not really open world as it seems to be a lot of walking and scripted events but I don't mind. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Games on the Atari VCS fill this niche for me.  I've got the new version of "Haunted House" to dig into and also "Doodle Taxi". 

The main issue is time and it is totally my choices that are the cause.  Gaming just isn't a top priority.  Work, home chores, cooking, and family time are all in front of gaming.

37 minutes ago, RickR said:

Games on the Atari VCS fill this niche for me.  I've got the new version of "Haunted House" to dig into and also "Doodle Taxi". 

The main issue is time and it is totally my choices that are the cause.  Gaming just isn't a top priority.  Work, home chores, cooking, and family time are all in front of gaming.

I totally relate to this. With the exception of the VCS I can't remember the last time I played a "modern" game. Literally a few years I think. Turbo Duo and Jaguar are about as modern as I get.

Well, I do have a PS4, so I do enjoy some modern games, though many are based on classics.  For example, I love to play Pac-Man 256.  I recently got Star Trek: Resurgence.  Other games I enjoy are Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Injustice, Kingdom Hearts, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Transformers Devastation. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Yeah, any modern gaming I do is mostly on PC. My "newest" console is PS3 I think. But yeah with a decent PC I never felt I required any more modern gaming that would justify a newer console. 

And @RickR, oh hell yeah you summed it up perfectly, just not a priority, might be in a perfect world but damn if I don't always feel I should be doing something more productive anytime I even think about gaming. The only time I get is after my wife goes to bed and even then only if I would rather not be watching YouTube, catching up on a movie or series, interacting in forums etc. 

Edited by MaximumRD

- M. Bison

26 minutes ago, MaximumRD said:

The only time I get is after my wife goes to bed and even then only if I would rather not be watching YouTube, catching up on a movie or series, interacting in forums etc.

Exactly!

We also will spend the evenings watching a movie or catching up on whatever TV show we are streaming. 

Yesterday, I got off work a bit early due to the holiday with plans for a few rounds of Yars' or Tempest 2000, but alas, I had a really bad sinus headache and the best thing for me was just to sit quietly and watch some TV.

Just to leave a more positive impression, the modern games I have tried, I've really enjoyed!  I'll say the last one was XBOX 360 Hydro Thunder, which was really fun.  It's got the same great gameplay I remember from Dreamcast but MUCH better graphics.  The water looks so real, I want to go for a swim.  It was a great game for me because it didn't demand too much time in learning or in playing a few rounds. 

My SO got me a PS5 last summer for Father's Day.  It replaced my PS4 Pro. I got part way through The Last of Us remake before work got in the way.  Most modern gaming for me is on the VCS and those are typically bite-sized indie games and Atari titles like the Recharged series and Haunted House.

I've been keeping an eye on No Man's Sky. It supposed to be so good now. I read the other day that on the PS4, it supports the PSVR (which I have).

In general, I don't spend a ton of time playing games unfortunately due to other obligations and such. I don't think that'll ever change until I retire from my current line of work. Having said that, I do spend time here and there with more modern games.

My most recent games played on the Steam Deck:

• Apotheon -- lovely game done in the art style of the ancient Greeks! I've only put in 30 minutes, but will continue.
  • Bang Bang Racing -- only played one race and it was very fun. The top down view and driving style reminded me of an old arcade game that I can't remember the name of. I intend to play more.
  • Another Bar Game -- I picked this game up because the dev was plugging it in a FB group, and it was on sale. It was a fun diversion. I put in around 2.5 hours. I even helped the dev suggestions to make it more playable on the Steam Deck (he didn't have a Steam Deck).

Between Steam, GOG, and all my consoles, I have a huge backlog as most of you probably do too. I do want to get into a more meatier game but haven't picked one out yet. I had a lot of fun with Drakengard on the PS2 not too long ago, so I've been thinking of an action RPG or action adventure game--something I can button mash through that is story driven.

image.png.b319a32172400f5b1ca3d58d419d1760.png

image.png.2a73e1de0edf1addb8fe81b262457236.png

image.png.7b7de35269d9bc296788716da8f2b33f.png

@RickR You started your Xbox 360 career with a banger. Hydro Thunder is considered one of the top Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) games. It's probably the XBLA game that I put in the most time on. I believe it's a port of a Dreamcast game.

I'm not a big modern gamer.  I prefer the small easy to pick up and put down games.  Listed below is my ENTIRE collection of modern and semi-modern games.

Games.JPG.1a54275eb5447028b2e648e9652cf709.JPG

I'd probably download more, but as you can see, Steam throttles their downloads.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

23 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

You picked the ONE title I have yet to even start, I avoided it for years with all the negative talk but picked it up recently after hearing how much it has improved, watching some gameplay videos etc. Not sure when I will get to it. I just started THE INVINCIBLE, I think I like it, it won't be for everyone, it's from a book I've not read but the art style and atmosphere are cool, it's a pretty laid-back game compared to the others, not really open world as it seems to be a lot of walking and scripted events but I don't mind. 

Just finished watching a trailer for The Invincible - looks pretty good!  Thanks for sharing the recommendation.  Open worlds certainly aren't a requirement for a good game 🙂

19 hours ago, - Ω - said:

I'm not a big modern gamer.  I prefer the small easy to pick up and put down games.  Listed below is my ENTIRE collection of modern and semi-modern games.

Games.JPG.1a54275eb5447028b2e648e9652cf709.JPG

I'd probably download more, but as you can see, Steam throttles their downloads.

Total Annihilation! I remember that one from back in the day. It's supposed to be very good. I still haven't played it, but it's there somewhere in my backlog. I had a lot of fun with Missile Command Recharged on my iPad. I need to revisit that.

On 11/23/2023 at 11:23 AM, Justin said:

I totally relate to this. With the exception of the VCS I can't remember the last time I played a "modern" game. Literally a few years I think. Turbo Duo and Jaguar are about as modern as I get.

I should amend this to say that I have a Nintendo Switch and occasionally play games on there with my gf and family. Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening, and most likely soon Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Most all of those games are in the spirit of classic 8-bit and 16-bit games. The Switch gets used most to play NES and SNES games through the Nintendo OnLine service with an NES style controller. The new F-ZERO 99 is pretty incredible, and free!

23 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Total Annihilation! I remember that one from back in the day. It's supposed to be very good. I still haven't played it, but it's there somewhere in my backlog. I had a lot of fun with Missile Command Recharged on my iPad. I need to revisit that.

Yeah, at one point in time TA was my favorite as my son hacked the Fark in the game and I was able to cheat big time. 😛

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I absolutely play more modern games. Both on my PC and my PS4 in some cases. On my PS4 my main game I've got the most hours into by far would be No Man's Sky. I bought it when it was first released back in 2016 and was bored within an hour and put it down. Then about a year ago I decided to give it another go as there had been so many updates and it was supposed to be much improved etc. I was blown the hell away by all the changes?! It was NOT even remotely the same game as before. Updated UI, updated graphics (That even on the PS4 still hold up quite well I might add), and all the new content they added. It is an amazing casual and relaxing game to chill with and just do whatever.

The Horizon games I also thought were imcredible! I'm disappointed that the newer DLC for the latest game is PS5 only, but I guess Sony was going to have to cut the PS4 loose eventually. Still there are quite a few indie games I've bought for the PS4 and I enjoy.

On the PC side of things I've recently gotten back into Mass Effect. The legendary edition was on sale last week for $10 so I picked it up and have been playing it each night when I can. I've gotten through both of the first 2 games so far and started ME:3 late last night. I own the first 2 games for the PC already, but bought the 3rd one for the PS3 way back and never got more than halfway through it. So it will be nice to finally complete that game. 

I also had a lot of fun with Tiny Tina's Wonderland on PC and had been playing it prior.

I've not decided if I will get Starfield or not. The performance of that game won't be great on my PC these days, but I might also look into getting Cyberpunk finally. Odd thing with that game, it was what I built my current PC for back in late 2019, but then the game got delayed and when it did finally release, the PC I put together still didn't have the omph to run it well. Still won't but there it is.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Thanks to Epic Games my library of PC games is over 300. I have claimed every free game they’ve offered weekly and during their 12 days of Christmas giveaways.  I don’t even play those much let alone check them out. I have them just to have should I ever get that urge to try something different. I mostly play Steam games and I’ve picked up a few dozen titles at GOG when they go on sale but mostly for those old DOS games.

I spend most of my modern gaming time on modern game consoles instead of computers. Since getting a PlayStation 5, a Switch, and now a PS3…and I have another surprise console coming…I’m enjoying exploring the modern offerings.  Plus I’ve had ModNation Racers since before COVID and no way to play it. I use to have fun designing tracks on the demo I had of the game so I’m really looking forward to that one now that I can play it.

I also picked up GT5 for PS3, GT7 for PS5 (that one blew my mind), and Mario Kart 8 for the Switch.  I also picked up F-Zero 99 to enjoy.  So I have plenty of modern gaming options.