Thrift Store Finds

RickR

Me either.

Here's the full lowdown, though: The Quackshot I neglected to buy the last time I visited the store was sadly gone this time. :(

The Sega Master System they had for $299 is still there, and I got a better look at it this time... I think it may actually be worth the price. It's got the Light Gun AND the SMS 3D glasses, which I've heard are not easy to find, and some other accessories. I've decided to try and save up for it.

Also, I gave serious consideration to buying Swordquest: Earthworld for $4, but decided on Phoenix for $3.95 instead.

Edited by LeeJ07

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

There was a "Vintage Geek and Cult" sale here in town today, and I found the Lynx Ms. Pac Man and Star Trek PC game.  Plus my son got a few comic books.

From Goodwill I got the Game Gear.  I noticed the non-color logo, and I remember reading somewhere the ones with the grey logo were made by a third party, and that third party used good capacitors.  So I grabbed it on that hunch.  I have not yet tested it.

post-41-0-23433500-1470520710_thumb.jpg

Edited by RickR

From Goodwill I got the Game Gear.  I noticed the non-color logo, and I remember reading somewhere the ones with the gey logo were made by a third party, and that third party used good capacitors.  So I grabbed it on that hunch.  I have not yet tested it.

Those aren't super common Rick. Cool find! Majesco, who released the Sega Genesis 3, re-released the Game Gear along with some of the better Game Gear titles around 2000-2002. I remember these being in Toys R Us in 2001 for about $69  :thumb:

Those aren't super common Rick. Cool find! Majesco, who released the Sega Genesis 3, re-released the Game Gear along with some of the better Game Gear titles around 2000-2002. I remember these being in Toys R Us in 2001 for about $69  :thumb:

Majesco!  Thank you.  It's kind of funny how my mind remembers just pieces of details -- but still knew immediately that the logo wasn't quite right. 

The video game guy at the vintage show had a Genesis 3 with no cables.  I passed it up...having too many genesis consoles as it is.  Really cool how small that one was though. 

There was a "Vintage Geek and Cult" sale here in town today, and I found the Lynx Ms. Pac Man and Star Trek PC game.  Plus my son got a few comic books.

From Goodwill I got the Game Gear.  I noticed the non-color logo, and I remember reading somewhere the ones with the gey logo were made by a third party, and that third party used good capacitors.  So I grabbed it on that hunch.  I have not yet tested it.

Star Fleet Academy is pretty fun too.   Nice pickups!

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Does that goodwill sticker say $10!!?

Yep, $10.  We call this particular Goodwill the "flagship" Goodwill, as they seem to have the best stuff in town.  They have a whole row of game hardware.  For example, this time they had a stack of Wii's and Gamecubes.  But no cords. 

The Game Gear was found in the office supplies aisle. 

Edited by RickR

The gamecube's were all  $15 I think.  Wii's the same.  It's a gamble on whether they work or not.  Finding the cords there would not be easy, but that would be an extra cost if you do find them.  They also had original Playstations for $15, a lot of controllers,  Fun stuff to look through.  No gamecube controllers or Wii-motes.  And a ton of the Leap pad units and games. 

Wii's are now officially at the lowest price point they will ever be at IMO.  Rock bottom.  Buy one (and a spare) if you don't already have one!  The millennials are going to want them again in about 10 years. 

Went down to a local place today that is mainly computer repair, but they have a small area for retro games.   I did some wheelin' and dealin' with her and was able to get a decent bulk lot for stock.
13920486_10207157246671511_8409962943814

A little over $100 for all of it, and the GBA SP 101 is worth probably $50 alone.   Not bad for a retail store. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Went down to a local place today that is mainly computer repair, but they have a small area for retro games.   I did some wheelin' and dealin' with her and was able to get a decent bulk lot for stock.

13920486_10207157246671511_8409962943814

A little over $100 for all of it, and the GBA SP 101 is worth probably $50 alone.   Not bad for a retail store. 

For those that don't know, the Gameboy Advance SP model AGP-101 has a much nicer back-lit screen than the more common model 001.  If you ever see one, buy it.  I think it's the very best handheld game system of all time.  Model 101 only.  One of my most prized possessions.  Even in pink, it's totally worth it.  You got a great deal on all this stuff.