Thrift Store Finds

RickR

They weren't only still boxed... They were still sealed in their plastic.

I, uh... Couldn't resist opening them... But that Hobbit game looked too fun NOT to open.

On another note, depending on how much cash I have left tomorrow, I may be getting another GameCube game, maybe a PS2 game...

But I'm DEFINITELY getting the Saturn game and the Pitfall 2 cart.

Edited by LeeJ07

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

I think there are tutorials on heating the unit up in an oven to get it to re-stick...but that sounds pretty preposterous.  I think some people have replaced the ribbon with soldered wires....  In either case, it sounds really difficult and iffy. 

I've always been really careful to not touch the two adjustments on top.  Of course, one day I came home from work to find my kid and a friend playing with it, and the friend was pulling on BOTH adjustments every time it was his turn!  Dang, son!  New rule in house...don't touch Virtual Boy without permission.  And don't touch the knobs. 

Edited by RickR

Day two of my garage sale odyssey:

Sadly, three games I had hoped to purchase today were gone when I got back. Metroid Prime, Skyward Sword, and an intriguing Inuyasha RPG for the PS2.

The Pitfall II and Saturn game were still available, though. As well as EyeToy Play for the PS2, and the blue Wiimote.

post-434-0-93254900-1478381191_thumb.jpg

Any idea on how to fix it?

So this is a Virtual Boy dispaly.

post-79-0-12369300-1478383357_thumb.jpg

As you can see. It's not a display at all. Its a row of LEDs that flicker and point to mirrors that oscillate very quickly to actually produce a picture.

Where the ribbon cable meets the backside of the circuit board, the adhesive can get weak and it starts to fail. It's fixed similar to how to fix a Gameboy with vertical lines. It has to be heated and I press down on the top side squeezing it on a hard surface while it cools. It doesn't work 100% of the time but it does work more often than it doesnt.

For those curious, the three yellow items on the left are three pieces from a video game cleaning kit that was released in the late '80s. The pieces are, top to bottom, an NES pin cleaner, a cartridge cleaner, and an SNES/Genesis pin cleaner.

Looking online, the full kit also included more pin cleaners in differing sizes for the Atari 2600, Sega Master System, and even the Turbografx 16, and a bottle of an isopropyl alcohol based cleaning solution.

Testing the SNES/Genesis pin cleaner on my Genesis proved it to work amazingly well. Turns out my Genesis had more grime on its pins than I expected. Sadly, it is too wide to fit inside my 2600, but it DOES fit in my Intellivision.

Unfortunately, the NES pin cleaner broke when I attempted to try it out.

Mondays half off day thrift store day brought me a perfectly working original xbox for $5. So after i do some more tinkering to the moded xbox it will be available if anyone is even interested.

Second pic. I went to a discount kinda grocery store and found these. I was really happy to find the portable breakout game.

post-844-0-35569800-1478553775_thumb.jpg

post-844-0-36185400-1478553879_thumb.jpg

post-844-0-94445000-1478553935_thumb.jpg

Hmm ive seen these monster cable brand AV cables. Ive seen them quite a few times recently. Whats so special about em

They do a good job on those systems that use an RF or composite cable (Intellivision, 7800, Colecovision, old computers).  They are high quality.  Nice thick wires, good shielding, gold connectors.  I should post a before/after of my 7800 video quality with one of these. 

They are pretty spendy new.  So when I see them cheap at thrift stores, I grab them whether I need them or not.

Edited by RickR

You ever have one of those days where you find so much good junk, you just can't believe it?  That was today for me. 

• The 5200 joysticks are in very nice shape.  I'll bet the buttons need work, but that will be a fun project.
  • Another Scooby Doo plug and play -- this one with the game key slot -- for $1
  • A Scooby Doo Wii game CIB for $1 (Jinky's!)
  • A really bad condition laptop -- I always wanted one of these 12" Dell's, and this was only $3.  It will be fun to see if it works, and possibly fix it up.
  • 3 Microvision games
  • A boxed TI computer (yes, the tan model is not ideal...but the price was right).
  • A couple of C64 carts.

It was so weird to see the 5200 joysticks and C64 games just sitting there on the shelf at Goodwill.  I can't say I've ever seen them before in years of hunting. 

post-41-0-14408100-1479595795_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-82472000-1479595796_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-60823800-1479595798_thumb.jpg

Edited by RickR