Sega Dreamcast (North American edition) is 21 Years Old today!

MaliciousCarp

I originally bought the console because I loved Crazy Taxi so much!  (I still do) 

My other go-to games are The Typing Of The dead and Chu Chu Rocket.

The Typing of The Dead is a retooling of House Of The Dead where letters, words, or phrases appear above the zombies... I mean Mutants... that you need to type to target them.  They also tweaked the character graphics a bit so that they are wearing a Dreamcast on their backs and have a keyboard tray hanging in front of them.  It is amazingly well done and fun!

Chu Chu rocket is an addictive multi-player puzzle game where you place arrows on a board to lead mice into rockets while avoiding obstacles and cats.  Multi player has multiple people on the same board placing arrows trying to direct the mice to their own rockets and direct the cats to go after their opponents.

Happy 21st birthday, Sega Dreamcast!  The Dreamcast was the only proper console I ever bought on launch day (the other being the Jag CD add-on).  I had rented an import system in the spring of 1999 and couldn't wait to have arcade quality games at home. Sega's epic last stand in the console wars ahead of its time and a truly great console.

My go to games are an odd bunch of DC kart racers, including Looney Tunes Space Race, Pen Pen TriIcelon and Whacky Races.  I'm not huge into kart racers but there is something about these that have me going back.  Other than that, my favorites are Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, PowerStone and Legacy of Kain:Soul Reaver.  Then there are the arcade titles too numerous to name! 

I actually worked the launch in a sense. I worked the toy department in Meijers, which included games. It was a 24 HR store, and I was working at midnight when it turned 9.9.99. Launches then weren't like today. There was no crazy line, but we did sell a handful of systems, controllers, VMUs and games. Sonic Adventure sold well, but so did NFL 2k and Powerstone, which somewhat surprised me. 

PlayStation, however, was still king, and there was more excitement for the upcoming PS2.

The Sega fan in me wanted the DC to do better. I wish Sega hadn't burned so many bridges with the Saturn (I liked the system, but retailers weren't prepared for the surprise launch, and 3rd party relationship got strained). I also think it was a mistake not to use DVD technology. DVD players were expensive and the PS2s ability to play DVDs was extremely attractive to potential buyers. If the DC could play DVDs, it may have given it a better chance to survive longer than it did.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Dreamcast is the first console I purchased after the 2600 (a gap of 18 years or so -- college, marriage, kids, etc).  I loved it.  I bought it for the beautiful sports games, and totally dug Typing of the Dead and Jet Grind Radio.  Hydro Thunder was another favorite.  What a great system!

I didn't pickup a DC until sometime in 2003 I think just after it has been discontinued. When that happened you could get boxed used ones for pretty cheap. I've got through about 3 or 4 of them in that time due to the drives eventually giving out on them. I have to say that the DC and especially Shenmue when I first fired it up on my DC was when I realized that the gap between most of my computer game graphics and those on home consoles was barely a gap at all. You could say the Dreamcast brought me back into modern console gaming after nearly a decade of ignoring it prior. Yes I was playing retro games again starting around late '99 but I didn't have much interest in any of the newer systems or modern until I got that DC. I later got a PS2 and then a GameCube..and...well here we are.

Currently I have three DCs in  my collection. I have one CIB that works as far as I know. I have one working in my DC Kiosk unit. (Although not the original DC anymore as that one died LONG ago due to a bad laser and we didn't have alternatives then as we do now). And I have my actual primary DC I use in the game center which is one of the Black sports edition units. Those appear to have better quality GDrom drives in them but I wouldn't know as I have a MODE and DCDigital installed into mine at this point.

Great ratio of good and excellent games on that system. And many that I prefer to play on the DC vs their PS2 counterparts as well.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

9s are wild!

Out of curiosity, I bought a Dreamcast a year ago and bought a second (the black one) earlier this year. You hear so much about the DC and the many classic games for it, and when you see the passion of the DC fanbase that borders on religion, I was piqued. I have a small number of DC games (and around 15 burned discs that came with the console I bought last year).

I have yet to hook up the console although I recently bought a VGA box and s-video cable. Until the day I hook it up, the grey DC is serving as a bookend, and the black one is sitting pretty with other pretty things.

DSC07139.JPG

DSC07135.JPG

DSC07137.JPG

The 21st Anniversary, and NOBODY mentioned Phantasy Star Online.

For shame.

Phantasy Star is such an underrated series, one of my favorites, though. Phantasy Star 4 was the first JRPG I ever beat, on my PSP.

Anywho. PSO is a radical departure from the first four games, but it's also pretty fun.

Pour one out for probably never getting a regular Phantasy Star again, though.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Love DREAMCAST, still have 3 original consoles. Back in the day of course I followed development, news, articles but that only conveys so much right? How this system was next level power etc, ok sounds great. Then one day as I was on the second floor of our local mall I approached the gaming shop and I SWEAR THIS IS 100% true, from a distance my immediate reaction was "Oh what the hell? Is the manager a huge Football fan? YOU ARE DISPLAYING A FOOTBALL GAME INSTEAD OF VIDEOGAMES? (keep in mind I am not much a sports fan and definitely not a football fan) seriously is there and important game on what........HOLY SHIT...NO WAY....(as I approached and got closer it began to sink in)...THAT NOT A TELEVISED FOOTBALL GAME....THAT IS AN GOOD DAMNED DREAMCAST GAME!!!!!" - as I say, I was so impressed by a football game visuals I knew that this was definitely the next level of gaming consoles and I HAD to have it. Such a shame the whole DREAMCAST generation lived for such a short time, there was still so much more potential for great games, they introduced concepts and tech way ahead for consoles. Still, in it's short life, at least it still introduced many cool arcade ports as well as interesting and unusual titles in typical SEGA fashion. EVEN some unreleased games became obtainable online since the prototypes were dumped (Half Life, Propeller Arena) great accessories like the Fishing Rod for those great SEGA BASS FISHING games. So much potential. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I can say that of that generation of systems. That I did prefer to play games on the Cube more than the PS2. However, when my ex-wife and I separated back in 2005, I found myself only playing PS2 as that was all I was able to get since I left the Cube with my kiddos as it had most of the games they were actually wanting to play at the time.

I still have a decent Cube collection of games and on rare occasions will play them through the Wii via component. I own about 3 Cubes but don't actually use them to play the games.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Same. I've said for a long time that I'm gonna get a Gamecube someday, but my Wii has perfect backwards compatibility with 'Cube games, so I've never actually needed one. If I ever get one, it'll mostly just be to say I have one.

That said, that Game Boy Player is pretty darn cool, and I wouldn't mind being able to play GB, GBC, and GBA games on tv. 

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.