Squad Challenge - Elevator Action (Arcade/MAME)

Justin

This thing ends Sunday, right? I can improve enough to post a score in that time. So far, all of my scores are far too embarassing! Which is odd given that I used to play this game all the time when I was like 8 or 9. I was never good at it, though.

This is a fun one. The graphics remind me of arcade Jungle Hunt. Could it be running on the same or similar hardware? They're both by the same company.

Don't be shy!  Post your score. 

It took me a while to get the hang of it.  It seems like the controls are wonky.  Like you can't press diagonal down at all...if you want to duck, you press straight down only.  And you're right, it looks similar to the old Jungle King/Hunt graphics and color-wise.  I suspect this one came first. 

53,850 -- the new 8Bitdo gamepad is really paying off

One tip... at the basement level where the exit is, if you happen to find yourself far away from a red door, don't try to traverse your way to it. Go for the exit elevator and travel all the way down. If you get to the exit and missed a red door, the game will automatically transport you directly to the red door. It's safer and easier and faster than trying to make your way across the screen.

ElevatorAction-53850-20201112.jpeg.43160ac822a5d0b4fda270a4a3f7e13a.jpeg

Now that I have it set up, I think we should do some more MAME challenges as well.

I also happened to jailbreak my Wii U, using the virtual Wii menu. It's a weird way you set it up. It involves LEGO Star Wars. I know there's an easier way nowadays, but this method is just so strange that I had to use it! Works like a charm.

We should also do some more 7800 challenges.

Just once, I wanted to break 10,000. But I think 9850 is the best I’m going to get tonight.

A childhood favorite revisited. This game kicked my ass, but I had a blast playing it. I’m also pretty happy about getting MAME finally set up.

I think I’m going to continue playing after this challenge is over. I look foreword to our next one! I’m ready to emulate whatever I face! Unless it’s VIC-20...

This game was played on my newly-modded Wii U system!

62596DE7-608E-431C-A92B-0C5A10885352.jpeg.fbe79fcc628167ef7feabd112299899c.jpeg

Great job @HDN for modding your WiiU and getting on the scoreboard.

I’m super happy that the high score challenge afforded me the opportunity to play one of my favorite arcade games from childhood (and also dust off my Raspberry Pi). I don’t think I ever made it out of level 1 back then. I’m glad to see that age hasn’t deteriorated what little skill I had for this game but actually improved it 💪 and it didn't cost me any quarters this time :nintendo_mario_coin:

9 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Great job @HDN for modding your WiiU and getting on the scoreboard.

It is very easy to do on a Wii or Wii U if you would like to! There’s a way to do it that’s easier and more efficient, but I used the LEGO Star Wars “Return of the Jodi” method to mod the vWii mode on the Wii U. It’s so bizarre, almost like a playground rumor. It reminds me a lot of stuff like “L is real 2401”. I’m still really surprised that said rumor turned out to be true after all. A beta build of Super Mario 64 that contained the scrapped Luigi was leaked 24 years and 1 month after the original game’s release. Interesting, huh?

But yeah, you should mod your Wii if you haven’t already. I plan on modding my DSi soon to get Stella on it. Nothing is better than on-the-go Tunnel Tunner! But anyways, a Wii softmod is very easy to do.

8 hours ago, HDN said:

It is very easy to do on a Wii or Wii U if you would like to! There’s a way to do it that’s easier and more efficient, but I used the LEGO Star Wars “Return of the Jodi” method to mod the vWii mode on the Wii U. It’s so bizarre, almost like a playground rumor. It reminds me a lot of stuff like “L is real 2401”. I’m still really surprised that said rumor turned out to be true after all. A beta build of Super Mario 64 that contained the scrapped Luigi was leaked 24 years and 1 month after the original game’s release. Interesting, huh?

But yeah, you should mod your Wii if you haven’t already. I plan on modding my DSi soon to get Stella on it. Nothing is better than on-the-go Tunnel Tunner! But anyways, a Wii softmod is very easy to do.

Thats' awesome!  I did the letterbomb mod on my regular wii because the optical drive went kaput, but I have not modded my WiiU yet.  

I am very interested to see the DSi mod if/when you do it - I have not modded any of my DS consoles, but I would love to get my 3DS "unlocked".  I have been kind of chicken to do it because I actually have a lot of digital games from the 3ds store that I don't want to risk losing.

21 minutes ago, MaliciousCarp said:

I am very interested to see the DSi mod if/when you do it - I have not modded any of my DS consoles, but I would love to get my 3DS "unlocked".  I have been kind of chicken to do it because I actually have a lot of digital games from the 3ds store that I don't want to risk losing

I plan on doing my DSi because 1. The SD on it is easily accessible and regular-sized, 2. You don’t need a Flashcart, and 3. There is very little risk of bricking the system, from what I’ve read at least. 
I’m too chicken to touch my 3DS as well. With the N3DS, the micro SD is underneath the back panel of the system. That thing is super worn out. I’m afraid it won’t go back on. I haven’t tried taking it off since last year when what I just described was very close to actually happening.

I didn’t mod the Wii U part of the system... yet. All I did was mod the vWii part of it. For those who don’t know, the Wii U comes in two parts. There’s the normal Wii U system menu, but there’s also a fully-fledged Wii menu as well. So far, I have only modded the OG Wii part. That thing was completely barren, so no real risks. Plus, I could just reuse the stuff from the original Wii and copy it to a new SD card.

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Exactly my case for 4 Wii's I've come across so far.  They make fine emulation stations. 

3 hours ago, MaliciousCarp said:

Thats' awesome!  I did the letterbomb mod on my regular wii because the optical drive went kaput, but I have not modded my WiiU yet.  

You know, I hear a lot about the Wii optical drive failing. I was talking to some of my buddies about the Wii the other day, and a lot of them seemed surprised that mine "still worked". Apparently, this is a pretty common problem, or at least from what I've seen. I think that part of the reason that mine still works is that I've barely used the drive. "Barely" relative to the rest of the time spent on the Wii. That thing has gotten a lot of use.

My dad said when we got it that he didn't think that thing would last 20 years (that's how old his SNES was at the time). We're quickly approaching the halfway mark on that one! So far, so good.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Socrates63!

Congratulations to @socrates63 on his second win in a row and for becoming our first MAME Champion! We had solid turnout and real spirit for our first MAME Squad Challenge, I want to thank everyone for doing whatever you had to do to participate! Some of you are MAME experts, others learned on the fly. There was a lot of help in these forums going back-and-forth to help get people get set up and going on MAME, it's really awesome to see you guys coming together like that.

@socrates63 is our champion for this Squad Challenge, taking the top spot in our Final Standings to claim 1st Place with 53,850 points. What an achievement! @nosweargamer was ferocious with his elevator action and takes 2nd Place with 30,150 Points. @btbfilms76 came in with a strong showing to take our 3rd spot on the board with 19,550 points. @MaliciousCarp was hot on BTB's tail, and @DegasElite @RickR and @HDN round out the board all with their best scores! Congratulations to @socrates63 for his big win, and as always I'd like to encourage Sabertooth to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

Also, we're closing in on the home stretch for BTB's Atari 7800 Paddle Controllers Giveaway! IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO ENTER! We'll be having our 7800 Paddles Giveaway and announcing a winner on December 1st. To keep a running list of who's entered into BTB's Atari 7800 Paddle Controllers Giveaway Contest, so far the following Members have asked to be entered and are permanently enrolled through the rest of the contest: @RickR @Sabertooth @nosweargamer @TrekMD @socrates63 @HDN @Atari Creep. If I missed your name please send me a PM, and if you don't see your name listed and would like to enter to win the pair of 7800 Paddle Controllers, be sure to say "Hey BTB, enter me to win!" when posting your next high score!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be announced today! Be there!

large.final_standings_mame_elevator_action.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

@HDN Rick mentioned it early on. The first key is mastering the duck and jump maneuvers. Besides that, I try to eliminate as many agents as I can when riding on elevators. Killing agents is your biggest source of scoring points. Their point value increases from 100 to 150 from floor 20 or whatever floor it is once you get past the initial floors where all the floors are lit up. So, what I’m trying to say is I’m not rushing to get to the car in the garage. I try to score at least 8k-10k on each level. If I sped through the first level, I’d only score 5k-6k when I reach the car.

The only other pointer I can think of is this. I do most of my kills while riding the elevator. I get the enemy to take a shot so I can shoot them safely without evading return fire while they reload. I do this by while coming down on the elevator, I pull back up the elevator when the bottom of the elevator reaches the chest of the enemy. He will draw his gun and shoot. I then go back down and kill him in safety. In the early levels, they reload slowly. Killing enemies on higher floors while riding up in the elevator is easier as I can kill them without exposing myself to their bullets and don’t need to get them to shoot first. I shoot right when the my gun clears the bottom of the floor and then move the elevator back down. I can try to video record this if it isn’t clear.

One other tip is to avoid engaging in a shoot out while on a wide floor (where the elevator is on the left or right edge of the floor). You can easily get surrounded to the right and left. Also, when there are multiple enemies to one side of you, sometimes one will shoot high and the other shoots low and you can’t dodge both. This is why I like to shoot and kill while riding an elevator.