My house is burning down

LeeJ07

I guess we are, don't know.

My stupid brother started a garbage fire, and now we've lost everything.

It's my worst nightmare come true.

I know I must be in shock, cause I'm all shaky. 

Also can't quit thinking about my destroyed collection. 9 years in the making, destroyed in an hour.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

17 hours ago, LeeJ07 said:

My collection was not insured, though, so I don't think I can ever replace any of it.

I'm very sorry for your lose, but I encourage you to see what the policy says. Many policies cover contents to a certain amount, and that could include your game collection. You would most likely have to submit a list, and perhaps itemize value too (I'd recommend pricecharting.com for older stuff). It might take a little work, but it could pay out in the end.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I'm afraid, guys, that this'll probably be the end of my video game collecting. I can get new games and consoles, sure, but not a single one will recapture the stories and memories I had with the originals. They just can't.

It was fun while it lasted.

Edited by LeeJ07

On 9/24/2019 at 1:09 PM, LeeJ07 said:

I'm afraid, guys, that this'll probably be the end of my video game collecting. I can get new games and consoles, sure, but not a single one will recapture the stories and memories I had with the originals. They just can't.

Sorry for your loss.  I'd be upset as well.  You still have your life which is more valuable than any game or console is worth.  I know it may not seem the same but whatever you get can replace those and add new stories on top of old stories.  List here what systems you had.  I'll see what I can dig up.  I know its heartbreaking...but EVERYBODY needs a little Pac-Man and ET in their lives.  Not trying to be, what's the word, insensitive or anything but honestly, you can really only go up from here.

Others are right.  Get with your insurance company, take whatever pictures you have of your collection for proof with you, and see what all is covered.  Once you start getting them again setup an account at RF Generation and start keeping track of your collection for insurance purposes.  It can be a pain to find the right title but keeping track like that is proof for insurance claims.  Then take pictures of what you get as you get them.  Some insurance companies will keep records of that stuff if you take them copies of the photos and a complete list.  Thats what i do just for Renters Insurance.

2 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Sorry for your loss.  I'd be upset as well.  You still have your life which is more valuable than any game or console is worth.  I know it may not seem the same but whatever you get can replace those and add new stories on top of old stories.  List here what systems you had.  I'll see what I can dig up.  I know its heartbreaking...but EVERYBODY needs a little Pac-Man and ET in their lives.  Not trying to be, what's the word, insensitive or anything but honestly, you can really only go up from here.

Others are right.  Get with your insurance company, take whatever pictures you have of your collection for proof with you, and see what all is covered.  Once you start getting them again setup an account at RF Generation and start keeping track of your collection for insurance purposes.  It can be a pain to find the right title but keeping track like that is proof for insurance claims.  Then take pictures of what you get as you get them.  Some insurance companies will keep records of that stuff if you take them copies of the photos and a complete list.  Thats what i do just for Renters Insurance.

Luckily enough, I do already have a RFGeneration list, so I do know exactly what I had, and what boxes and manuals I had.

I have since decided I will continue to collect. 

My first step will be heading to Gamestop to find out if their console insurance covers loss by fire. Hopefully I'll either be replacing my Wii U this weekend, or, at the very least, get money back for its loss.

I'll put up a short list of my lost consoles here. 

I'm sorry to say, @RickR, that I found the 2600 Jr. you gifted me today, and it was, of course, destroyed.

15 minutes ago, LeeJ07 said:

Luckily enough, I do already have a RFGeneration list, so I do know exactly what I had, and what boxes and manuals I had.

I have since decided I will continue to collect. 

My first step will be heading to Gamestop to find out if their console insurance covers loss by fire. Hopefully I'll either be replacing my Wii U this weekend, or, at the very least, get money back for its loss.

I'll put up a short list of my lost consoles here. 

I'm sorry to say, @RickR, that I found the 2600 Jr. you gifted me today, and it was, of course, destroyed.

I have to finish rebuilding part of my car first but as soon as that is finished, and you are settled back in, I will see what I have duplicates of and send them your way.  They are just collecting dust here anyway.  I know I have a duplicate Dreamcast in this damn house somewhere.  If I sent that, though, you would be on your own for an AV cable.  I don't have any extras of those.  I think I have a few duplicate 2600 games.  I don't have many duplicates but I will send what I do have to get you started hopefully.

If GameStop's insurance doesn't your home insurance should.  The only problem about going to GameStop is you may need the receipt to prove the purchase of insurance and what system it was for.  But I think it is limited to just the machine's performance like it stops reading discs, there's a mechanical failure, the damn thing just stops playing games or turning on no matter what you do...things of that nature.  I don't think it covers acts of GOD or in your situation.  However, it never hurts to ask.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:09 PM, LeeJ07 said:

WHOOO bud, slow down. Lets get ya taken care of, get your needs and you better start a new collection. 😀 Sure the stuff you made memories with are gone but the memories are still there. It's just STUFF and can be replaced to add to the memories bro!!!!!! 

We are all just happy you and yours made it out safe. Sorry I have not been around the past few days, looks like the Go Fund Me is doing well, I will pass it along here tonight or tomorrow and see if we cant get it to go over the top.

Stay strong friend!!!! 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I would do what TrekMD suggested.  Get someone to help you go over the insurance claim.  It's insurance and often times those companies try to get by with paying out a lot less than they want to.  Homeowner's insurance usually covers items in the house.  Take that list with you as well when you go.  It never hurts to get a second opinion.