Atari 2600 or Atari 7800 - which one do you use for gaming?

Chubbz

2600 or 7800, which one do you use for gaming?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. 2600 or 7800, which one do you use for gaming?

• ATARI 2600
    • ATARI 7800

I use the A2600 only if I have to play a game for it that doesn't have compatibility with the A7800 somehow. I have a Supercharger cartridge, for instance. It works best with the A2600. Plus, I have the Stella Gets a New Brain CD and tapes for the cartridge. But, I mostly use the A7800 consoles I own (I have two) for gaming for both systems. It's more advanced and almost completely backwards-compatible with the A2600 without a separate adapter. So, the A7800 is more versatile. Plus, it has great games the A2600 doesn't have. So, the A7800 is definitely my choice. 

Been using 7800s for both 2600 and 7800 since I got my first one in the late 80s. I lucked out with my original 7800 because it turns out it is an '84 made unit so it doesn't suffer from any of the known compatibility issues nor have I ever had issues with inserting games. It won't seat a supercharger properly, but that wasn't something I knew about back then because I didn't own an SC much less know of its existence back then. Same with Tigervision carts that have issues, I didn't own any Tigervision games back then.

But, even now I still use a 7800 for all of my 2600 and 7800 gaming needs. With some slight modifications, I'm able to play all the tigervision games and use a supercharger if I wanted.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 2/26/2022 at 9:12 PM, TrekMD said:

I use the 7800 mainly but I use the 2600 for games that require the switches (like Phaser Patrol or Space Shuttle). 

You can still play those games with a 7800 without much issue. Space shuttle is the only real trouble maker as the OMS rockets are activated with the color/bw switch. Since that is the pause button on the 7800 you only have two options to play Space Shuttle. Either keep your finger pressed on the pause for as long as you need your OMS burn to last, or... read up where it states in the manual...

That I believe player 1 difficult can be used to turn on emergency OMS rockets. So when I played Space Shuttle on my 7800 in the late 80s (And I played Space Shuttle quite a bit...), I just use the emergency OHMs burn instead of the primary. 

For Phaser Patrol, just play with the shields on at all times hehe. That is what I do!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I prefer the 2600, but for practicality reasons, I’ve only used my 7800 for the past six months or so. My 2600 has been disconnected and is currently chilling on a display shelf. I kind of miss it so I think I’ll bring it out again soon, even though it’s pretty impractical when I could use the 7800 instead.

Hi @HDN!  I haven't seen you around in a while.  

7 hours ago, HDN said:

I prefer the 2600, but for practicality reasons, I’ve only used my 7800 for the past six months or so. My 2600 has been disconnected and is currently chilling on a display shelf. I kind of miss it so I think I’ll bring it out again soon, even though it’s pretty impractical when I could use the 7800 instead.

Yea but nothing beats using an original 2600 😁

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Hi @HDN!  I haven't seen you around in a while.  

Yea but nothing beats using an original 2600 😁

It’s been TOO long!

And yeah, I agree about the 2600. Something about flipping those big, metal switches makes me feel happy inside. The console’s design itself is also so darn cool, unless it’s a Junior I guess, but even that’s still an Atari at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, HDN said:

It’s been TOO long!

And yeah, I agree about the 2600. Something about flipping those big, metal switches makes me feel happy inside. The console’s design itself is also so darn cool, unless it’s a Junior I guess, but even that’s still an Atari at the end of the day.

Don't forget that beautiful wood finish.  Now that is 70's.

Hey, Harry!

I'm with Rick. I use the 7800 for 7800 games only. I prefer to use the 2600 for 2600 games because (1) cartridges are easy to insert and remove on the 2600 compared to the death grip of the 7800, (2) some 2600 homebrews don't work on my 7800, and (3) the 2600 switches are easier to use.

I will say that when I got back into playing Atari games several years ago, I started with the 7800 since it's backwards compatible. However, not long after I started playing Atari games again, I ran into the aforementioned issues, so I got a 2600. Besides, the six switch 2600 is an iconic design.

For gaming a 7800.  Have a light sizer and Jr for development and testing.

Pretty much because the Seagull 78 adapter is plugged in there.  Also, the option to play 7800 games is nice.

Please check out my Atari 2600 party favors at https://theloon.itch.io/  

Downloadable games include Upp Plus Plus, Stranglehand, Nitebear on Sleepystreet and more!